PDA

View Full Version : Main Street Miniature Nightmare

disney_leonard
09-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Today I went to DL to get the next issues of the Olszewski Main Street miniatures. I knew when I arrived before 9:30 that things were not quite right. What used to be the line to have items signed after you purchased them was short- maybe ten people. The line to buy was up the block. I patiently waited 4 1/2 hours to get into Disneyanna to be told they just ran out of one of the items - the Adventureland gateway. They had come down the line at least twice during the long wait (sometimes in the pouring rain) to do a count to make sure they would have enough pieces for everyone because they didn't want people to wait if they were not going to have enough pieces. They assured us that they did. By "us" I mean myself and the 25 people behind me in line who also did not get the Adventureland gateway and likely did not get the Plaza Gardens piece as there were only a few of those left.

I did buy the Nightmare Before Christmas Light Gallery box which I had autographed as it will be a gift. When I got home to show my DW, I inserted the batteries and began to search for the switch...and kept looking. The best I can figure is the switch is supposed to be in the hole near the battery compartment. No switch and no way to turn on the light in the "light gallery". Great. Now I can return it for a refund or replacement (if they get more since this was one of the last pieces left of that item) but then it won't be autographed.

I was talking to a CM during this ordeal and he confided that the new management has never been around for one of these events so had their own ideas of how to run it. They were supposed to have two extra cash registers but they didn't arrive. Many of the new pieces were defective. When they tested them the lights didn't work and couldn't be sold. I never thought to ask to check the light box since it is a rather simple battery box with a light. Big mistake. Check anything coming from China today as their quality control is non existent.

I have to wait until Monday to call DelivEARS but I'm sure they will be of little help. I will call Olszewski to see if they can help but since they didn't sell it they have no obligation to do so. A very frustrating experience.

disneyhound
09-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Sorry to hear of your bummer day at DL. Hope things work out. Is there any way to get just the light replaced, then still have the autograph?

disney_leonard
09-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Sorry to hear of your bummer day at DL. Hope things work out. Is there any way to get just the light replaced, then still have the autograph?
If they could get me a new battery compartment with a switch maybe. As far as I know the light is OK but without a switch to turn it on I can't be sure. I will sugest that when I call but I don't know if they will swap one or not.

spectromen
09-22-2007, 11:12 PM
I didn't have any problems with my pieces, but I did experience a 4 hour wait, having arrived at DL's main gate at 7:20AM. Totally ridiculous. New management? I hadn't heard - what's that about?

disney_leonard
09-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Acording to the CM I spoke with who has been at DL for many years, the new managers did not come from the retail shops at DL so had no experience with these events. As a result they didn't want to hear from the veteran CM's about the best way to route lines and the need for extra cash registers. This is the first of these events that I have been to where it took so long just to purchase pieces. Usually I can be in and out in an hour without having the the pieces signed. Since there was no line for signing I had the light gallery piece signed to make it extra special as a gift. Most of my Main Street pieces are not signed and are going into the platform where no one can see the autograph anyway.

disney_leonard
10-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Well my face is red. After pawing around the light box many times I thought I would try it one more time. I found the hidden switch is a leaf in the floral pattern on the lower right side of the frame. Well I still need the other pieces but at least my gift purchase is OK

HobbitFeet
10-11-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm glad you finally found the switch! You'd think they would sell those things with instructions including directions to important features, yes?

AVP
10-11-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm glad you finally found the switch! You'd think they would sell those things with instructions including directions to important features, yes?One of my customers bought the Central Plaza figurine when she was out here, and her husband used SUPER GLUE to "fix" the "broken" popcorn cart on the sculpture...

...and then she called me and wanted to know how to turn the piece on.

I agree - they need instructions on those!

AVP

GrumpyUTboi
10-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Wow, your wait sounds like our experience 2 years ago at DL, 2 rides in 4 1/2 hours and not worth the wait. Now I know never to go and wait in the line to be disappointed