PDA

View Full Version : Recipes from Cafe Orleans

Mrs Mouse
09-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Thought I'd throw this question out there and see if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I am looking for recipes from Cafe Orleans, specifically the recipe for the ratatouille that they were serving throughout the summer. It was so delicious that I'd like to attempt it at home.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

samkj
09-23-2007, 07:29 AM
I'm not sure if its the same one. I found this on another Disney board.

This is Thomas Keller's recipe for the version of Ratatoulle that Remy used in the movie. It's based on a Turkish version of the dish called Imam Byaldi. (Imam Byaldi means "the preacher fainted". The story behind it is that a certain preacher's wife invented this dish, and when the preacher came home and discovered how much precious olive oil she had used to make it, he fainted dead away!)
Recipe: Confit Byaldi

for Piperade

1/2 red pepper, seeds and ribs removed
1/2 yellow pepper, seeds and ribs removed
1/2 orange pepper, seeds and ribs removed
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
3 tomatoes (about 12 ounces total weight), peeled, seeded, and finely diced, juices reserved
1 sprig thyme
1 sprig flat-leaf parsley
1/2 a bay leaf
Kosher salt

for vegetables

1 zucchini (4 to 5 ounces) sliced in 1/16-inch rounds
1 Japanese eggplant, (4 to 5 ounces) sliced into 1/16-inch rounds
1 yellow squash (4 to 5 ounces) sliced into 1/16-inch rounds
4 Roma tomatoes, sliced into 1/16-inch rounds
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/8teaspoon thyme leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

for Vinagrette

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Assorted fresh herbs (thyme flowers, chervil, thyme)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Instructions

1. For piperade, heat oven to 450 degrees. Place pepper halves on a foil-lined sheet, cut side down. Roast until skin loosens, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest until cool enough to handle. Peel and chop finely.

2. Combine oil, garlic, and onion in medium skillet over low heat until very soft but not browned, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes, their juices, thyme, parsley, and bay leaf. Simmer over low heat until very soft and very little liquid remains, about 10 minutes, do not brown; add peppers and simmer to soften them. Season to taste with salt, and discard herbs. Reserve tablespoon of mixture and spread remainder in bottom of an 8-inch skillet.

3. For vegetables, heat oven to 275 degrees. Down center of pan, arrange a strip of 8 alternating slices of vegetables over piperade, overlapping so that 1/4 inch of each slice is exposed. Around the center strip, overlap vegetables in a close spiral that lets slices mound slightly toward center. Repeat until pan is filled; all vegetables may not be needed.

4. Mix garlic, oil, and thyme leaves in bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle over vegetables. Cover pan with foil and crimp edges to seal well. Bake until vegetables are tender when tested with a paring knife, about 2 hours. Uncover and bake for 30 minutes more. (Lightly cover with foil if it starts to brown.) If there is excess liquid in pan, place over medium heat on stove until reduced. (At this point it may be cooled, covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Serve cold or reheat in 350-degree oven until warm.)

5. For vinaigrette, combine reserved piperade, oil, vinegar, herbs, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl.

6. To serve, heat broiler and place byaldi underneath until lightly browned. Slice in quarters and very carefully lift onto plate with offset spatula. Turn spatula 90 degrees, guiding byaldi into fan shape. Drizzle vinaigrette around plate. Serve hot.
Yield: 4 servings

Nancy
09-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Thought I'd throw this question out there and see if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I am looking for recipes from Cafe Orleans, specifically the recipe for the ratatouille that they were serving throughout the summer. It was so delicious that I'd like to attempt it at home.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

Try copykat.com They have some good reciepies that may be close.

VickiC
09-23-2007, 11:34 AM
I relaly doubt they are using Thomas Keller's recipe. For one thing Cafe Orleans was serving that dish for quite awhile before the movie came out, I had it last January. For another, I cannot imagine a moderately priced restaurant at D-land spending that much time on one dish!

mariezp
09-24-2007, 05:52 AM
You might e-mail or call Disneyland guest services directly. I know they do give out recipes for some of the resturants if you ask for them at city hall so perhaps guest services might be able to help you out as well. You should be able to find contact info on the resort website.

Mrs Mouse
09-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks for all of your input, guys - I really appreciate it.

The first recipe sounds delicious, though slightly labour intensive, so I'm going to keep looking. I checked copkykat and had no luck there. But I will definitely give Guest Services a call and see if they can help me out. Thanks for that suggestion, mariezp, I never even thought of that!