PDA

View Full Version : Heresy! Is The Pirates Entrance Dopey?

Pages : [1] 2

ladodgerjon
09-21-2007, 12:20 PM
I don't mean the exterior of POTC-- I think it's a beautiful facade.

What I wonder is: Does anyone else ever enter the ride and think: why the heck are there boats floating in the front room of what is basically, a house?!?

I'd love to know if there was ever and pre-construction talk of doing any more involved theme-ing for the transition from walking through the building's front doors... to the point where you first see the boats?

At WDW, this is a non issue (to me at least) as you enter a fort... and I guess you could allow for the notion that water could flow through that sort of structure's "boundries."

But water in the middle of a house?!?

Niwel
09-21-2007, 12:28 PM
When you walk through these gates, you enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy. ;)

I just think it goes better with the theming -- if it was in Adventureland, like at WDW, the fort thing would totally work.

DizneyMommy
09-21-2007, 12:30 PM
I have always thought it was a little silly. And worse, when you are stuck in a boat right in the doorway for a long time, you feel like some people are gawking at you, when really they are just amazed by walking in the building and seeing the boats right there. One time, a large tour group had just walked in and we were stuck right there in front of the parrot, and they were all taking our picture. Too weird.

lofosho
09-21-2007, 12:31 PM
I kinda like it....... it all adds to the mystery. You appear to be entering a house, but then you get into a boat and fall "down" into a crazy awesome pirate world......

Andrew
09-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Is The Pirates Entrance Dopey?

No, it's either Happy (Yay, I'm about to ride Pirates!) or Sneezy (that musty smell inside the show building sometimes tickles my nose). Definitely not Dopey, though.

Chris Lang
09-21-2007, 12:34 PM
I don't mean the exterior of POTC-- I think it's a beautiful facade.

What I wonder is: Does anyone else ever enter the ride and think: why the heck are there boats floating in the front room of what is basically, a house?!?

I'd love to know if there was ever and pre-construction talk of doing any more involved theme-ing for the transition from walking through the building's front doors... to the point where you first see the boats?

At WDW, this is a non issue (to me at least) as you enter a fort... and I guess you could allow for the notion that water could flow through that sort of structure's "boundries."

But water in the middle of a house?!?

I remember as a kid riding Pirates the first time (sometime in the late 70's). It seemed a bit strange and it appeared the ride would be quite short (I mean, the building isn't very large, how big can it possibly be?).

Although it's not themed on the level of Haunted Mansion or Indy, the detail level on the actual ride itself offsets any poor queue elements.

Remember the ride started off as a Pirates Museum and slowly morphed into the Pirates ride we know and love today.

Niwel
09-21-2007, 12:35 PM
No, it's either Happy (Yay, I'm about to ride Pirates!) or Sneezy (that musty smell inside the show building sometimes tickles my nose). Definitely not Dopey, though.

I (Puffy heart) you Andrew!
LOL!

Darkling999
09-21-2007, 12:46 PM
It's weird--lately I've been really looking at Disneyland. I brought some newbies a few weeks ago and walked them down the center of Main Street and pointed out the castle at the end of the street. A castle. At the end of a main road in your quaint hometown.

Similarly, you can see the tip of Space Mountain when you're standing in Town Square--a space-station roller coaster right next to Main Street.

Don't get me wrong. I grew up at Disneyland and am officially an addict. But that's exactly why I never noticed stuff like this before-it's home and I've never thought about it or known it any other way.

Also, Disneyland is the teeniest of the parks, so all its theming is smooshed up against other, sometimes contrasting theming. They do their best with very very limited space. I understand this.

It's only weird if you THINK about it. So I won't.

And yeah, I see your point about the Pirates entrance. It doesn't flow/seem as natural as it could.

The Evil Queen
09-21-2007, 01:31 PM

Like the immortal Bruce Lee once said..."Don't think. Just feeeeeeeel."

ladodgerjon
09-21-2007, 02:39 PM
I kinda like it....... it all adds to the mystery. You appear to be entering a house, but then you get into a boat and fall "down" into a crazy awesome pirate world......

Great metaphor!

So maybe they should build a 'worm hole' effect right at the main doors for your 'transport' into that past/parallel universe.

Kidding.

BTW: Personally, I LOVE the musty POTC smell. Right up there with the diesel smell of the DRR... freshly cut grass... and baseball mitt leather.

Call me weird.

shna
09-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Maybe not THAT weird. ;)

I've been in other places that have that weird musty/mildewy smell. Other people wrinkle their noses & make faces. I close my eyes and *poof* I see myself in POTC. :D

houseofmouse
09-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Maybe not THAT weird. ;)

I've been in other places that have that weird musty/mildewy smell. Other people wrinkle their noses & make faces. I close my eyes and *poof* I see myself in POTC. :D

Oh my gosh me too!! Every time!! When I smell diesel sometimes I think "Ah Autopia, wish I was there!":)

olegc
09-21-2007, 04:12 PM
ok - so this is New Orleans square. the facades of buioldings are to be where you are close to the bayou (and if you look close, behind the buildings there is a mast and sail from a ship).

When you enter the building - you are instantly thrust not into a house but a dock. I grant you that this return path is a little odd (some texts from Disney call this treasure island with the parrot the finale). but they had to do the return somehow here in Anaheim. Not that much room.

but the rest of it, as you walk up - you're walking up the path to Laffitte's Landing - going into the bayou..

so - FWIW - the house is simply a facade for entering a different world. It's not meant to all be logical all the time.

otherwise i'd say "why am I walking downhill into the earth and all of a sudden I am at a space port" on space mountain.

Suspension of disbelief my friends..

darph nader
09-21-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm at DISNEYLAND,I don't care.:cool:

leota's necklace
09-21-2007, 05:39 PM
It's weird--lately I've been really looking at Disneyland. I brought some newbies a few weeks ago and walked them down the center of Main Street and pointed out the castle at the end of the street. A castle. At the end of a main road in your quaint hometown.

Similarly, you can see the tip of Space Mountain when you're standing in Town Square--a space-station roller coaster right next to Main Street.

I believe those are what Walt called "weenies"...something to tempt you into walking to another part of the park. The carousel is a weenie-within-a-weenie, to let you know there is more to explore behind the castle once you get to the Hub.

mckygirl99
09-21-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm at DISNEYLAND,I don't care.:cool:

I am right there with you! ;)

Foodie
09-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Disneyland is all about escapism, and escapism is not exactly about logic. In fact it tends to be most illogical. The point is not to think about the layout or whether it makes sense for flowers and birds to actually sing songs, or for a river with boats to be inside a house, or for a large mouse to wear pants and take pictures with people. The point is to just enjoy the moment while you're in it!

-Foodie :)

danyoung
09-22-2007, 12:23 PM
I've been enjoying Pirates since it opened in 1967, and I can honestly say that I've never thought about this issue. I just buy into the fantasy - of course that dark blue sky up there isn't REALLY the sky, but the illusion works great for me. I guess when I'm at that part of the queue where I go inside, I get giddy cuz I know I'm close to the head of the line, so any incongruity in theming has just never bothered me.

rfaljean
09-22-2007, 08:00 PM
All doorways at Disneyland lead into a parallel universe of fantasy, mystery, excitement and magic. You have to go forward to go back. You think you are entering a house and you think you are exiting a house, but you have been magically transported into a wonderful pirate parallel universe.

I never really thought of it before. I just took it for granted that it was all magic... and for me... Disneyland is still magical... I don't ask.. I just believe.

petesimac
09-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Well, I think the house is related more to the Blue Bayou restaurant than the ride, but even so, I've always viewed it as a "land of the lost" kind of thing where one minute your in the "present day", and the next, after a whooshing drop through space and time, back in pirates time. It's cool and it's quirky; I hope they never change it.

ladodgerjon
09-24-2007, 10:13 AM
(snip)The point is not to think about the layout or whether it makes sense for flowers and birds to actually sing songs, or for a river with boats to be inside a house, or for a large mouse to wear pants and take pictures with people. The point is to just enjoy the moment while you're in it!

I get your point. Completely. I agree, too.

To a point.

But then again, I'm a student of design and take great pleasure in the work of WDI... and sometimes that means 'de-constructing' their work for a better appreciation of what they do.

On some level, I think they felt the need to "plus" the design of POTC when they re-did the entrance at WDW-- and improve on the transition from exterior to interior.

Bottom line to all that have said, "I don't think about it... I just 'believe'." I'm with ya-- it's just that i think WDI exists, in part, to help ease the profcess of suspending disbelief.

dougeebear
09-24-2007, 12:53 PM
In the San Francisco Bay Area people were "shanghai'd" in the 1800's. Buildings had been built out over piers and bar patrons, having gotten too tipsy, were pushed through trap doors into waiting boats below.

I've never heard of the same in New Orleans, but perhaps there's a historical story-bleed from the rough and tumble SF mid 1860s and the rough and tumble French Quarter.

Andrew
09-24-2007, 01:09 PM
In the San Francisco Bay Area people were "shanghai'd" in the 1800's. Buildings had been built out over piers and bar patrons, having gotten too tipsy, were pushed through trap doors into waiting boats below.
Surely His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Norton would never have permitted such.

screamin4ever
09-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Surely His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Norton would never have permitted such.

Too funny! I just read about him this summer. Can't believe someone else out there knows anything about California's only emperor! Ha!

MadasaHatter
09-25-2007, 07:39 AM

Don't get me wrong. I grew up at Disneyland and am officially an addict. But that's exactly why I never noticed stuff like this before-it's home and I've never thought about it or known it any other way.

Also, Disneyland is the teeniest of the parks, so all its theming is smooshed up against other, sometimes contrasting theming. They do their best with very very limited space. I understand this

And yeah, I see your point about the Pirates entrance. It doesn't flow/seem as natural as it could.

The Castle at the end of MAIN ST. was completely intentional. It was Disney's view of the world from his small town in Missouri....as a kid you have fantasies(get it Fantasyland) of leaving your small town and exploring exotic locals are far away places. One of my favorite features of DL.

PS Did you all know Emporer Norton's dogs were Boomer and Lazurus???