PDA

View Full Version : Weather forecast calls for thunderstorms...

Pages : [1] 2

marikoj
09-19-2007, 05:00 AM
So it looks like there is a major storm brewing for this Friday and Saturday when I'll be at DL. I've read that there are less crowds at DL when it is raining. Is this true? I know its the first weekend of the Halloween stuff so I've been expecting lots of people. Are there any rides they close for thunder and lightening? I'm from Seattle, so I can handle some rain. I'm just hoping my trip isn't ruined because of it!

DizneyMommy
09-19-2007, 06:28 AM
Our local weather is saying Thursday night into Friday, and ending Sat early AM for the rain. But it does not say anything about TStorms, just light rain. Sounds to me like a great time to go! The slightest drizzle scares a lot of people away from the park, so take advantage of it, grab a ponco umbrella or waterproof jogging suit and enjoy your day! A few rides will close if it actually rains, mainly outdoor-spinny type rides like Dumbo and some things in DCA. If it starts really raining hop on the monorail or duck into some dark rides. I love going in the rain!

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
09-19-2007, 06:34 AM
woo hoo rain!!!!!!
Love the rain at Disneyland, as long as it isnt too cold, the little ones don't do well with the rain and the cold.

River Belle
09-19-2007, 06:58 AM
I agree that it's a great time to be there!:) You will face some outdoor ride closures if it really starts coming down, but there are plenty of indoor rides to do in the interim. Wear good shoes and a raincoat or poncho, and you'll be golden!

yenko427
09-19-2007, 07:01 AM
Rain, what rain? I must be looking at the wrong website, we leave in 24 hours!! Where are you seeing this? I want to make sure I pack accordingly....

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
09-19-2007, 07:11 AM
Rain, what rain? I must be looking at the wrong website, we leave in 24 hours!! Where are you seeing this? I want to make sure I pack accordingly....

Well it all depends on which website you check, the consensus seems to be rain Thursday afternoon/evening, lingering into Friday, daytime temps in the 70's, partly cloudy Saturday, temps in the mid 70's and Sunday just kissing the 80 degree mark. Shorts, sweatshirts and maybe a pair of pants for the rain sort of weather

SANDYMARIE
09-19-2007, 07:12 AM
We are leaving in 9 days and we're hoping for NO rain and 70's. Hope are wishes come true. ;)

TTFN

yenko427
09-19-2007, 07:18 AM
Holy cow. I was just on weatherchannel.com and they are talking all kinds of stuff....Well if there is flash flooding, thunderstorms, lightning and who knows what else we will be staying at the GC sipping wine from the lounge having a good ol' time I guess. That is so weird. I was on the weather websites yesterday and it was showing clear 76-79 degrees. Wow, how things change.

JoeCool
09-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Holy cow. I was just on weatherchannel.com and they are talking all kinds of stuff....Well if there is flash flooding, thunderstorms, lightning and who knows what else we will be staying at the GC sipping wine from the lounge having a good ol' time I guess. That is so weird. I was on the weather websites yesterday and it was showing clear 76-79 degrees. Wow, how things change.

This is from the National Weather Service:

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN DIEGO CA
500 AM PDT WED SEP 19 2007

CAZ042-043-048-050-055>058-060>062-201300-
ORANGE COUNTY COASTAL AREAS-SAN DIEGO COUNTY COASTAL AREAS-
SAN BERNARDINO AND RIVERSIDE COUNTY VALLEYS-THE INLAND EMPIRE-
SAN DIEGO COUNTY VALLEYS-SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY MOUNTAINS-
RIVERSIDE COUNTY MOUNTAINS-SANTA ANA MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS-
SAN DIEGO COUNTY MOUNTAINS-APPLE AND LUCERNE VALLEYS-
COACHELLA VALLEY-SAN DIEGO COUNTY DESERTS-
500 AM PDT WED SEP 19 2007

...STRONG SEPTEMBER STORM LATE THURSDAY THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY..

A PACIFIC STRONG STORM FOR SEPTEMBER MAY MOVE THROUGH SOUTHERN
CALIFORNIA LATE THURSDAY THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY. THIS STORM HAS THE
POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE WEATHER VERY RARELY SEEN IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
IN SEPTEMBER. THIS COULD BE THE STRONGEST MID LATITUDE SEPTEMBER
STORM FOR SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA IN AROUND 20 YEARS. SEPTEMBER STORMS
WITH SOME SIMILARITY TO THIS STORM OCCURRED IN 1986 AND IN 1963.

THE STORM WILL MOVE SLOWLY EASTWARD ACROSS SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY. THERE ARE STILL SOME
DIFFERENCES IN THE TRACK FORECAST AND TIMING FOR THURSDAY THROUGH
SATURDAY AND ESPECIALLY FOR THE POTENTIAL IMPACTS TO SOUTHERN
CALIFORNIA.

STRONG SOUTHWEST WINDS WILL OCCUR IN ADVANCE OF THIS STORM IN THE
MOUNTAINS AND DESERTS THIS AFTERNOON INTO FRIDAY. THIS STORM SHOULD
BRING MUCH COOLER TEMPERATURES FOR THURSDAY AND FRIDAY WITH COOLEST
TEMPERATURES FRIDAY. DEPENDING UPON THE EVENTUAL TRACK AND TIMING OF
THIS STORM...THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR LOCALLY HEAVY PRECIPITATION
AT TIMES FROM LATE THURSDAY THROUGH LATE FRIDAY. THIS STORM WILL BE
QUITE COLD FOR SEPTEMBER WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF THUNDERSTORMS AND
EVEN FOR SNOWFALL IN THE MOUNTAINS ABOVE 6000 FEET. THERE IS ALSO
THE POSSIBILITY OF WATERSPOUTS OVER THE COASTAL WATERS AND TORNADOES
OVER ADJACENT LAND AREAS.

ANY HEAVY RAINS WILL BRING THE THREAT FOR FLASH FLOODING AND DEBRIS
FLOWS OVER THE RECENT BURN AREAS OF THE ANGEL AND BUTLER FIRES.

STAY TUNED THE NEXT FEW DAYS FOR LATER UPDATES ON THIS DEVELOPING
STORM.

$$

MARTIN/MACKECHNIE

The forecast says 60% chance of rain on Friday and Saturday. I think the rain will probably stay to the North of LA.

Here is the website: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/

Bytebear
09-19-2007, 09:21 AM
There are only two rides that would be closed for sure: Teacups and Alice in Wonderland. All other rides are subjective to the level of rain and thunderstorms, but these two rides are particularly hazardous when wet. I don't know about the rides at DCA.

aznewsboy
09-19-2007, 09:24 AM
When we went 2 years ago it rained & it didn't bother us at all. We went in October that year so we planned for rain by bringing ponchos. I also had a big thick clear plastic stroller cover that covered our double stroller(it came with the stroller but you could easily improvise-if you have kids in a stroller). We got a lot of jealous looks about the plastic since it kept everything dry. People even asked if we bought it there cause they wanted one. We bought the rain ponchos at the dollar store before we left.

We also found this the best time to ride our daughter's favorite ride-Grizzly River Run-over & over again since we were already wet.
Some people think rain will ruin a vacation but we kept up a positive attitude & didn't let it bother us. Besides, living in Arizona makes us really appreciate the rain so our kids thought it was fun!
The only ride I can remember they closed that we tried to get on was Big Thunder Mountain. I'm sure there were others but that was our experience.

marikoj
09-19-2007, 09:54 AM
We have PS at Carnation Cafe and Cafe Orleans. We requested outdoor seats at Cafe Orleans. They wouldn't make us sit in the rain would they? What about at Carnation Cafe, is there indoor seating?

JoeCool
09-19-2007, 10:00 AM
We have PS at Carnation Cafe and Cafe Orleans. We requested outdoor seats at Cafe Orleans. They wouldn't make us sit in the rain would they? What about at Carnation Cafe, is there indoor seating?

No. You would not sit in rain. There is indoor seating. Check the forecast every few hours..it is still not known whether the storm wll hit LA and Anaheim.

DizneyMommy
09-19-2007, 10:47 AM
THIS STORM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE WEATHER VERY RARELY SEEN IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA IN SEPTEMBER. THIS COULD BE THE STRONGEST MID LATITUDE SEPTEMBER STORM FOR SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA IN AROUND 20 YEARS

Aw malaraky. I'll believe this when I see it.

And no, there is no indoor seating at Carnation. I'm not sure they stay open when it rains, you might want to make a PS somewhere else for Friday at least.

Glass Slipper
09-19-2007, 11:42 AM
We are leaving in 9 days and we're hoping for NO rain and 70's. Hope are wishes come true. ;)

Exactly! It better not be rainy and cool the first week of October.....we are leaving western WA and heading to CA to get AWAY from all that dreary stuff!!!

BIRDGIRLS
09-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Gosh Darnit!!!! Jeez. I hope to goodness it doesn't rain on Friday. Friday's my birthday and I'm going to a concert at the Irvine Amphitheatre, on the lawn. It starts at 7 at night. It's going to be freeeezing.

adriennek
09-19-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm not hoping for anyone's plans to be ruined (believe me, we have a major-to-us outdoor event planned for Saturday evening...) but. We REALLY need rain around here so I'll be glad to get it.

Now, as for people from Washington complaining about rain.... I remember when I attended a continuing ed course taught by a woman from just outside of Seattle. She told us "I'll bet that when it rains here, you keep the kids inside and they don't go to recess, right? .... Well, if we did that where I live, the kids would never get recess." :eek:

So just pretend it's recess. ;)

Adrienne

Chadsgal
09-19-2007, 12:15 PM
It has never rained when I've been at Disneyland before. I wouldn't want it to rain more than a couple days but & I don't want a down poor but I don't think it would be that bad. We are used to the rain so we could take advantage of the small crowds.

Bytebear
09-19-2007, 02:00 PM
I just checked my homepage weather report, and it downgraded Friday from possible thunderstorms to simply possible showers. The weekend is looking brighter already.

DaDuckFan1955
09-19-2007, 02:35 PM
It rained when we were there in April for one day and we went on the Railroad riding it a couple of times around until the crowds lightened up, then we got off went to Pirates/Haunted Mansion and back to Pirates a couple more times,:D then the rain stopped and the crowds returned:crying:

We had poncho's and hats and just enjoyed the moisture off and on..

DizneyMommy
09-19-2007, 02:45 PM
The latest update removed OC and San Diego. I don't think it will be that bad for us...

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA
215 PM PDT WED SEP 19 2007

CAZ034>041-044>047-051>054-059-087-088-201300-
ANTELOPE VALLEY-CATALINA ISLAND-CUYAMA VALLEY-
LOS ANGELES COUNTY COAST INCLUDING DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES-
LOS ANGELES COUNTY MOUNTAINS EXCLUDING THE SANTA MONICA RANGE- LOS ANGELES COUNTY VALLEYS-SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY CENTRAL COAST- SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY INTERIOR VALLEYS-
SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY MOUNTAINS-SANTA BARBARA COUNTY CENTRAL COAST- SANTA BARBARA COUNTY MOUNTAINS-SANTA BARBARA COUNTY SOUTH COAST- SANTA CLARITA VALLEY-SANTA MONICA MOUNTAINS RECREATIONAL AREA- SANTA YNEZ VALLEY-VENTURA COUNTY COAST-VENTURA COUNTY COASTAL VALLEYS-VENTURA COUNTY INTERIOR VALLEYS-VENTURA COUNTY MOUNTAINS-

215 PM PDT WED SEP 19 2007

...A VERY RARE AND COLD SEPTEMBER STORM ON TAP FOR THURSDAY AND
FRIDAY...

MileHighAko
09-20-2007, 05:07 AM
National Weather Service is reporting:

STRONG SEPTEMBER STORM FRIDAY AND SATURDAY... A STRONG PACIFIC STORM FOR SEPTEMBER IS EXPECTED TO MOVE THROUGH SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA LATE FRIDAY AND EARLY SATURDAY. THIS STORM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE WEATHER RARELY SEEN IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA IN SEPTEMBER.

What happens when it rains at Disneyland? Do they shut things down? Other than us getting wet and a little cold, I can't see it hampering our fun. Maybe it will even keep the crowds down?

MileHighAko
09-20-2007, 05:14 AM
Nevermind. Just saw this post: http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=79072

With the new seperated forum groups, I never know what to post where. :s

adriennek
09-20-2007, 06:54 AM
You can always go to the heading "Disneyland Resort Discussions," "Search this forum" and type "Rain" to find threads that are in either forum.

Adrienne

jonesin4Dland
09-20-2007, 09:34 AM
I was there in Jan. when there was a light rain in the morning. It seemed as if most of the light crowd disappeared and I had DCA virtually to myself.:D Talking to a CM it was mentioned that a lot of residents tend to call in "sick" to work because of the rain. Being from Seattle I found that rather amusing. It was really one of the best days I've spent in the parks. As a kid, my dad was stationed at Camp Pendleton and I saw some pretty major downpours. I don't think I would enjoy being at DL during one of those, even with a bumbershoot and poncho.:( I hope the weather won't be as extreme as is forecast, but with the advance notice you should be able to make alternate plans to your park touring schedule to stay out of the rain as much as possible.