PDA

View Full Version : San Diego to DL

Pages : [1] 2

EpcotMex
07-18-2002, 07:58 AM
I will be in San Diego for the first time in August 4-10 (business travel). But I will have the Monday 8/05 free.
I am planning to drive to DL and return the same day. DL will be open 8:00AM to 11:00PM that day.
I have some questions for Southern California people.
1) How long does it take to drive let's say from the San Diego Convention Center to DL?
2) How is the traffic early in the morning between SD and DL (I'm planning to leave 6:00AM and somebody told me it is a 2 hours drive)
3) Is this a toll highway?
4) Which park would you recommend me, DL or DCA? (I was in DL in 1991, and have visited the MK in WDW in 1997 and 1999. We will be adults only)
5) Any tips?

TecTalker2K
07-18-2002, 08:12 AM
It ntakes about 1.5 hours to get there from San Diego. However, your trip is going to be extended because you are going at rush hour. Nice thing is that it is a straight shot up I 5 so you don't need to figure out where you are going. I-5 is a freeway with no tolls. Forget DCA, it is too much like an amusement park. The big D has much more to offer. Try to go with a local so you can get a discount on the tickets. =) Take some relaxing musiic to get you through the traffic and look for the mountains.. you know you will be close. Oh... San Diego weather and Anaheim weather are totally different. While it will be in the low 70's here, it will be 90 in the park. You are goig to be there late so take a warm jacket with you. When the sun sets, it gets a little cool there.

MouseWife
07-18-2002, 08:48 AM
Wow, and what are you doing at the Convention Center? Is there something great coming up?

Anywho.
#1 & 2}
Yep, one and a half to two hours. I say closer to two because of the traffic. It will be smooth in some areas but then bottlenecked in others.

If you guys can handle it, I mean not pay for it later in the day, I would go even earlier. We leave here about 5 a.m., stop over in San Juan Capistrano for Jack in the Box {drive thru} and head in. It will be crowded already when you get to Disneyland. It would be nice if you had the tickets already so that you don't have to wait in line. {Does anyone know a service member or retired person who can buy your tickets? Or, I hear you can buy them full price at the Disney Store.} There is no toll highway to Disneyland.

# 4 & 5}

I also recommend Disneyland over DCA as it has more rides over DCA having more shows {I think}. But, I understand you can buy a hopper ticket and go to both places. That would cover both and everyone would be happy.

Use FastPasses. I understand that Haunted Mansion and one other ride are two that you can hold Fast Passes for and still get others. {Anyone PLEASE correct me on this one if I am wrong and state the second ride, thanks!!}

Upon driving in to Disneyland, do use the carpool lanes. AND, something I always forget, the Disneyland Resort has it's own carpool lane exit. So, don't get out of the carpool lane to exit. Stay to the left and it takes you right there. It is so cool.

I'd imagine that you have a package deal with your lodging, already all booked. Otherwise I would recommend staying over either the night before or the night after. I like to do that.

Sunscreen, lip balm, hats, sometimes we take little squirt bottles to mist ourselves. Water. Tylenol {hey, I don't take chances on ruining my day!}

Also, you might want to keep your eyes open on here and see if anyone is going to the park that day. There are meets all of the time and the people who go are seasoned veterans and can give you wonderful advice.

Oh, and last but not least,

Have fun!!!

lisap
07-18-2002, 01:40 PM
These San Diego people know what they are talking about--listen to them! :D

I would add my endorsement to leaving a bit earlier to avoid the traffic--the good news is that you are going the "good way" North through San Diego, the bad news is you will be going the "wrong way" though Orange County, where the traffic can get a bit intense in spots.

Have a great time, dress comfy and cool, and sunscreen up!

adriennek
07-18-2002, 01:51 PM
Going with a local would not get him any discounts on tickets to Disneyland on August 5.

Adrienne K

Rallymonkey23
07-18-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by MouseWife
Wow, and what are you doing at the Convention Center? Is there something great coming up?

Anywho.
#1 & 2}
Yep, one and a half to two hours. I say closer to two because of the traffic. It will be smooth in some areas but then bottlenecked in others.

If you guys can handle it, I mean not pay for it later in the day, I would go even earlier. We leave here about 5 a.m., stop over in San Juan Capistrano for Jack in the Box {drive thru} and head in. It will be crowded already when you get to Disneyland. It would be nice if you had the tickets already so that you don't have to wait in line. {Does anyone know a service member or retired person who can buy your tickets? Or, I hear you can buy them full price at the Disney Store.} There is no toll highway to Disneyland.

# 4 & 5}

I also recommend Disneyland over DCA as it has more rides over DCA having more shows {I think}. But, I understand you can buy a hopper ticket and go to both places. That would cover both and everyone would be happy.

Use FastPasses. I understand that Haunted Mansion and one other ride are two that you can hold Fast Passes for and still get others. {Anyone PLEASE correct me on this one if I am wrong and state the second ride, thanks!!}

The other ride is Pirates..... We just did that yesterday and it worked out great!

EpcotMex
07-18-2002, 04:20 PM
Thank you everybody for the great info!
Never been to San Diego buy already love it!

MouseWife, I will be in the Convention Center for a Technical Conference about computers all week. But we decided to learn more about animatronics on monday! ;)

I will stay in the Marriot Marina (or something like that) Hotel, near the Convention Center. It is already booked for the week that's why we have to return the same day, and we have to be in the conference next day at 7:00AM :o

I will try to buy the park tickets in the Disney Store in San Diego when we arrive, but please somebody tell me if it is possible to buy a hopper ticket for just 1 day. I understand that they are for 3 or 4 days. I have decided to visit DL, but I really would like to ride Soarin' over California! and the Grizzlie rapids (sp?).

Please explain me more about the Pirates and Haunted Fastpasses. If I understand, I can get a FP for Pirates, then another let's say for Indiana Jones, and then go on the line for another ride?

Not Afraid
07-18-2002, 04:33 PM
Here's the Fast Pass situation:Pirates and Haunted Mansion are essentially "free" fastpasses which means you can hold one or both of them and still hold a FP to another DL attraction. If you are planning on going to DCA, that FP system is run separately from DL system so you can get an additional FP in DCA, allowing you to hold up to 4 FPs at the same time.

As for the Park Hopper, the bottom line is, for $14 more than a regular one-day park ticket, you can add on admission to the other park. General Admission is $45, One Day Park Hopper is $59. I'm not sure if you can purchase these in advance at a Disney Store.

Sailor Butterfly
07-18-2002, 04:36 PM
Yes, it is possible to buy a one-day park hopper ticket. The cost is $59, vs. $45 for a one-day, one-park admission. But you have to make the choice "blind" since you've never seen DCA before.

socabch
07-18-2002, 05:30 PM
TecTalker2K is right about the time it takes give or take 15 minutes. For me, (I live in the Pacific Beach part of SD, north of Seaworld) it takes about 1 hr. 10 min (88 miles) if I don't hit any traffic. Normally on a week day I leave anywhere between 7- 8:30 and actually I never hit traffic. The traffic is always coming the opposite way. Down where TecTalker2K is coming from is commuter traffic in the a.m. so it all depends are where you are coming from. You will be downtown so I'm not sure on the extra time. But plan 1.5 hours and yes take I-5 the whole way. When you get to San Juan Capistrano use the carpool lane if you are more than one. It moves pretty fast and Disney Way has it's own exit on the left so you don't have to leave the carpool and crossover four lanes. Have fun!!!

MouseWife
07-18-2002, 05:55 PM
EpcotMex~

Ah, a convention. The hotel they've put you in is beautiful, I am pretty sure it is the one right next door. There is also a Hyatt which boasts an almost top floor bar/ area that has a beautiful view of San Diego Bay. Take the time to do this, if you can.

You are right next door to Seaport Village, a place to walk around and dine.

You can take the ferry over to Coronado and visit their little Village. Maybe you can take a ride/bus from there to the beach. Beautiful sunsets. {bonfires are nice there and at the Silver Strand}.

The Gaslamp isn't very far, either. Fun if you like that sort of thing.

I've tried to think of walking distance things that can be done in the evening when you are finished or during an afternoon lunch break perhaps.

The Zoo is open at night during the summer, I just don't know how late they will let you in.

Be careful running around at night!! There is crime where you least expect it. So, heads up.

TecTalker2K
07-19-2002, 09:47 AM
The closest Disney Store to you is Horton Plaza. Horton Plaza in itself is like Disneyland. It's great at night. One word of advice, when downtown, keep your eyes open snd try to avoid interfacing with the street folk. They can make life interesting for you. I would stop fro breakfast on the way up. You can take the Ortega Highway offramp and turn left at the top of the ramp. Lot's of eating establishments there and you can get a look at the Mission there. Has anyone taken the train to the Big D? That might be an option too.

MouseWife
07-19-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by TecTalker2K
One word of advice, when downtown, keep your eyes open snd try to avoid interfacing with the street folk. They can make life interesting for you.

This can not be said enough!!

S.D. is a wonderful town, wonderful people, but, remember that everyone isn't so wonderful.

I want to hear when you are all done with your trip that you have had NO incidents.

No different than travelling to any other town but being that this is 'our' town, I feel responsible for giving you advice and I want you to be safe.

topdsnymom
07-19-2002, 05:26 PM
The closest Disney Store to you is Horton Plaza. Horton Plaza in itself is like Disneyland. It's great at night.
:crying: The Disney Store at Horton Plaza is no longer there. The closes one to downtown is at Fashion Valley Mall.

TecTalker2K
07-20-2002, 09:21 AM
They closed the Horton Plaza Store??????? Shoot. That and the food court were the main reasons for going there. Forgive me... I donm't get aroound much anymore.

California Aggie
07-20-2002, 09:36 PM
Has anyone taken the train to the Big D? That might be an option too.

I took the train once from Oceanside, CA (northern San Diego County) to Anaheim Stadium. There might be some sort of shuttle from the Anaheim Stadium stop to Disneyland, I can't remember. The train ride is not too bad, the ride through San Clemente is in particular very beautiful as it is right on the beach. You could go Amtrak from San Diego direct to Anaheim, the station in SD isn't that far from the convention center. It'd probably take longer then driving however, and its probably more expensive, on Amtrak at least. Like most things in Southern California, its probably easier to avoid public transit if you have a car available. :-)

EpcotMex
08-13-2002, 07:54 AM
Just returned from California, and want to say thanks to everybody for all your tips.
We used the one day park hopper ticket, and took advantage of the "free" fastpasses.
Soarin' over California is now on my "Top 3" favorite rides list, with Tower of Terror and Splash Mt. I was amazed for the smells you can feel while flying... the vineyards smell, the salty smell over the seas... it was great!
When we were riding Indiana Jones, the ride stopped and we had to walk all the way back while they restarted all the systems. Got a great picture of the skeleton with the Mickey Ears.
While holding FP's for Splash Mt, we went in stand by line for Space Mountain. I think they should add more shade in the line, it was terrible hot up there!
And my last complain, the mice effect in Honey ISTA was not working, at least in our seats.

I liked DCA a lot. After reading some negative posts about this park, I was expecting something bad. But I really liked it.
I also enjoyed my stay in San Diego, and visited the Disney Store in Fashion Valley. The store is very small, but still I found some articles that I couldn't find in World of Disney in DLR (Ariel's Backpack, for example)!

We had a great time, thank you again!

MouseWife
08-13-2002, 08:18 AM
So glad to hear you had a great time!!

And the bonus of walking out of Indy!! I haven't had that pleasure but I hear it is a treat.

What did you do in San Diego? Besides go to Fashion Valley?

EpcotMex
08-13-2002, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by MouseWife
So glad to hear you had a great time!!

And the bonus of walking out of Indy!! I haven't had that pleasure but I hear it is a treat.

What did you do in San Diego? Besides go to Fashion Valley?

It was a very interesting walk thru the ride, but it killed the magic in a certain way. You know, watching Indiana Jones having an epilleptic atack, or the plastic spiders in the wall.

In San Diego we visited the Gaslamp District, the Horton Plaza, the Seaport Village, and did some shopping in the Circuit City Store in Rosecrans street. We also went to the Outlets stores in San Ysidro. No time for much more, we spent a lot of time in the Convention Center. Missed the Balboa Park.

MouseWife
08-13-2002, 09:53 AM
Hmm, a lot of time at the convention center? Was that for the Comic Convention?

EpcotMex
08-13-2002, 10:06 AM
Ha! Got me! Don't tell my boss...:D

MouseWife
08-13-2002, 10:42 AM
:p :p :p

But, did you get to see Arnold Swarzeneggar or Elijah Wood? I heard they were there.

EpcotMex
08-13-2002, 10:47 AM
Arnold was there? Well I did not see him, actually I arrived to SD the last day of the comics convention. But that explains why some confused people insisted in getting my autograph!:o

MouseWife
08-13-2002, 11:01 AM
Are you teasing? ;)

Yep, he was there the last day. Usually they are put in a different area, like upstairs, and have different times when you can see them. I think also a seperate admission charge. :(

But, I don't know for sure what happened because he was a surprise guest.

Hmm. I didn't hear him speaking Spainish...........

hbquikcomjamesl
08-13-2002, 01:12 PM
California Aggie wrote:
Like most things in Southern California, its probably easier to avoid public transit if you have a car available.

Like freeway traffic is better than a nice, comfortable train where you can walk around, and get something to eat?

By train, it's approximately two hours each way (regardless of the state of the freeways!), and the fare is $40 round trip.

Also in Balboa Park, San Diego, just a short walk from the zoo, you can find the Natural History Museum, the Fleet Science Center, and the Spreckels Organ Pavilion (concerts at 2PM Sunday, year-round, and 7:30 PM Monday evenings during the summer).

BTW, has anybody else noticed that the whole issue has been moot for over a week, at least as far as the thread-starter is concerned?