PDA

View Full Version : Silhouette Shop Query

Pages : [1] 2

vfire
09-15-2007, 10:05 AM
I had two silhouettes done for my two young sons last spring and they were great. The woman who did them was an older white woman with grey/white hair.
Yesterday I had one done for my wife and I with a different woman who was white, in her late 50's perhaps. The result was not as good. She was very nice and I didn't have the heart to tell her likewise.
Does anyone know the older woman who does it and when she works? My wife and I would like to try another portrait with her but would like to know when she works for the next time we go.
Anyone else experience uneven quality in the portraits?
Thanks.

Pirate Princess
09-16-2007, 12:47 PM
YES! We only had my DS's silhouette done once because the lady was such a heinous.... "evil queen."
She was abrupt, rude, patronizing, and frankly the silhouette looked nothing like my son! It was really bad.
Glad to know there are other nice and talented cast members there. Maybe we will pop in on this trip and see who is working... if I see a grey-haired woman we will do it!
As for when they work, I have no idea. I just wanted to answer your last question about the "uneven quality of portraits."

mousemommy
09-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Yes, we have too. Once my hubby and I got ours done and it looked nothing like him, but another friend of ours that wasn't even there! However, when we went this time we had our daughters done and it was just about perfect!

ShirleyFilms
09-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Does anyone have a picture of the woman to avoid? :)

bloodnswash
09-17-2007, 12:26 PM
We had our son's silhouette done about 2 years ago. We did not have a gray haired lady who did it. Our lady had dark hair and, if I had to guess, was middle aged. I just wanted to say that my son's silhouette looks just like him. So not all of the CMs who do this are bad. :)

barely
09-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Had our DS's done last week by the gray haired woman and it's wonderful!

houseofmouse
09-17-2007, 01:18 PM
I hope you did not have to pay for the bad sillouettes. :eek: Do you have that option?

vfire
09-17-2007, 08:28 PM
The gray haired woman is great, I wish I remembered her name but I didn't think to note it. If I saw her again, I'd know her though. She looks like she's been doing it for years.
I don't think you have the option of turning down your silhouette. The artist usually tries to make small talk to distract you while doing the cutting. I thought it was odd that she asked me what my job was... it kind of took me aback because it was reminding me of the real world while I was in the fantasy of Disneyland. No biggie but just thought it odd when she could have asked if this was my first time at DL, what my favorite ride was, about my kids standing next to me, etc. I'll be keeping my eye out for the gray haired woman though... ;)

Lola
09-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Can you have them done from a picture?

vfire
09-18-2007, 10:09 AM

I guess you could but you it should be a portrait.

Bobbi
09-18-2007, 12:54 PM

I heard you can but the picture needs to be a side view profile.

hybrid-god
09-18-2007, 02:52 PM
What are the dimensions of the Silhouette? Is it life like? :~D

SANDYMARIE
09-19-2007, 07:09 AM
The gray haired woman is great, I wish I remembered her name but I didn't think to note it. If I saw her again, I'd know her though. She looks like she's been doing it for years.
I don't think you have the option of turning down your silhouette. The artist usually tries to make small talk to distract you while doing the cutting. I thought it was odd that she asked me what my job was... it kind of took me aback because it was reminding me of the real world while I was in the fantasy of Disneyland. No biggie but just thought it odd when she could have asked if this was my first time at DL, what my favorite ride was, about my kids standing next to me, etc. I'll be keeping my eye out for the gray haired woman though... ;)

I will be on the lookout for her also. ;)

TTFN

talie95
09-19-2007, 07:57 AM
Does anyone have a pic of what these look like? I've never done one but it sounds cute and I'd like to have one done when we're there in a couple weeks for my daughters but I'm not really sure what they look like. Thanks!

DizneyMommy
09-19-2007, 11:10 AM
They are small, around 5x7ish, and it is only your head, not your whole body. And they have neat little oval frames you can buy to put them it, or at least they used to. My sisters and I all had them done when we were little kids, and then again as adults, my mom LOVES these - I think if the house burned down this is the one thing she'd grab on the way out. I am waiting until my 2 year old can sit still to have hers done so it turns out nice.

DizneyMommy
09-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Does anyone have a pic of what these look like? I've never done one but it sounds cute and I'd like to have one done when we're there in a couple weeks for my daughters but I'm not really sure what they look like. Thanks!

They have samples on the wall in the shop. There is an example on Disney's website too. Theirs has optional characters added in, which they will do for you.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/parks/shopping/detail?name=SilhouetteStudioShoppingPage

hybrid-god
09-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Might have to do this next year! Thanks for the info! :~D :~D :~D

talie95
09-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Those are really cute! How much are they? I assume it's more if you have the disney character in with it too?

barely
09-20-2007, 07:57 AM
I believe the silhouette was 7.00, nice frame 9.00, for a total of just over 17.00 including tax. I don't know the extra cost for the Disney add-ons. You get two silhouettes-one framed and one not, which comes on a 5x7 card-type background.

Pirate Princess
09-20-2007, 08:06 AM
I believe the silhouette was 7.00, nice frame 9.00, for a total of just over 17.00 including tax. I don't know the extra cost for the Disney add-ons. You get two silhouettes-one framed and one not, which comes on a 5x7 card-type background.

No, there is a cost for the extra Disney characters added on. The lady who did our silhouette asked if we wanted Mickey added in. We said "sure" and she did. (Mickey was precut and in a box.) When the total was higher than expected I very politely asked if there was a mistake. This is when she turned into "evil queen" and started on a rant about how hard it is to make Mickey, "you don't know how hard this job is...." blah blah blah. As mentioned before it was shocking. We had NO problem paying more for the mouse... just asked a simple question since we were not informed of the extra charge and because of the way she posed the question about adding the extra character.

Anywhooo... maybe we caught her on a bad day but nevertheless we will not be having her do our silhouettes in the future.

vfire
09-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Lesson learned: be careful what you wish for. Well, yesterday, the gray haired woman was there, her name is Sylvia, and my wife and I had portraits done again. But we both agreed afterwards the first portraits by the other, younger, woman was better. My wife said we looked like child adults in the new ones, and that's probably the best description. Sylvia did a great job with my kids but perhaps she cannot do adults as well. It's funny to compare how different the two sets of portraits are, you'd never think they were of the same couple. Back to square one again...

DL Mama
09-22-2007, 09:02 PM
FYI, I bought a couple of the nice oval frames at the DCW Outlet in Tracy, CA a few months ago for about $2. Just keep your eyes open!

h_lehmann
09-23-2007, 08:55 AM
I had to dig through older pictures, but I found one that shows the silhouette artist that, *in my opinion*, does the best job. We do silhouettes of our kids every couple of years, and yes, some artists are definitely better than others.

http://www.tinybackyard.com/albums/disneyland0103/2003_01_03_17_26_07.sized.jpg

vfire
09-23-2007, 07:22 PM
I had to dig through older pictures, but I found one that shows the silhouette artist that, *in my opinion*, does the best job. We do silhouettes of our kids every couple of years, and yes, some artists are definitely better than others.

http://www.tinybackyard.com/albums/disneyland0103/2003_01_03_17_26_07.sized.jpg

Yes, that's Sylvia. She did a brilliant job with my kids, but not so great with my wife and I. We looked like Tiny Toon versions of ourselves.

Pirate Princess
09-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the photo! We'll give her a try with my DS this next trip.