PDA

View Full Version : Blue Bayou Dessert

Pages : [1] 2

aznewsboy
09-15-2007, 09:00 AM
We have never eaten at the Blue Bayou-not our type of food but I have always thought it would be fun to eat there. I was wondering if you can get in just to eat a dessert & if I'd need reservations? I was thinking of going after lunch time/before dinner so it's not busy. Is it usually busy around 2:30pm?If they still have the Flying Dutchman Cookie Boat I saw listed on another site I thought that would be perfect to take my mother-in-law to for her birthday next week. We'd be going on a Thursday.
Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks,
Kathy

Glass Slipper
09-15-2007, 09:07 AM
I have not yet eaten at the Blue Bayou but have Priority Seating for Oct. 2nd at 3:20 pm for dessert only. My mother and I will be celebrating my birthday at the resort all week, and I thought having the cookie boat one day would be a nice treat! You can definitely go in just for dessert, and just to be safe, I would call ahead to reserve a time. I hear the wait can be quite long without priority seating. Hope you have a wonderful trip!:)

adriennek
09-15-2007, 09:12 AM
Next Thursday is my mother's birthday, LOL. (We have a LOT of September birthdays in our family. Starting tomorrow, until Thursday we hit, me, my mom, my son and my maternal grandmother (RIP).)

I would recommend a PS if you can still get one. There's no real reason not to and lots of reasons to have it. It's just easier and more convenient than waiting. And really, it's one thing to sit and wait for a long time to eat a meal but I'm less inclined to wait for a seat just to eat dessert, IMO.

Adrienne

aznewsboy
09-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Is the number I call the 714-781-DINE number? I also just noticed on another site they charge 4.99 for a split plate charge. Does this mean we have to pay another $5 to share a dessert? I wasn't sure how big the "boat" is so I thought maybe 4 adults & 2 kids could share 2 of them if need be. Would we be charged $10 to share 2 desserts or am I not understanding the charge correctly?
Thanks again!

aznewsboy
09-15-2007, 10:11 AM
OK, I answered my own question by giving that number a call & got 2:10 reservations on 9/27. Thanks for suggesting I do that. The person I spoke with did not think they charge for a split plate on a dessert so if anyone knows the answer to that I'd still like to know for sure.
Plus, after posting I found the pictures of the desserts on here & I really appreciate those-I'd be wondering what the thing looked like & how big/small it is for the next 11 days!
This is the 2nd time to be there for my MIL b-day. We didn't know about the sticker thing the first time. The next year we did our daughter's b-day there so I want her to have some special treatment this trip.

MrTomMorrow
09-15-2007, 02:05 PM
The cookie boat is really big - and really delicious! I wish I had split it with my friend when we went to the BB because it's so sweet. It definitely gave me a sugar high for the rest of the day.

mousemom
09-15-2007, 08:59 PM
So how much is the cookie boat? It would be fun to just do dessert!

adriennek
09-15-2007, 11:22 PM
So how much is the cookie boat? It would be fun to just do dessert!

According to MousePlanet's Disneyland Dining Guide (http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide.php?pg=AAG401), they're $8.99.

Adrienne

ssturgeo
09-17-2007, 06:44 AM
Does anyone know...do they still have the Jack Skellington dessert during the holidays??

bloodnswash
09-17-2007, 12:33 PM
We do the Blue Bayou for dessert only on every trip. :)

They still had the Skellington desserts last year.

Boo's Mommy
09-17-2007, 06:17 PM
May I ask, what is the Skellington dessert?

orangechicken
09-17-2007, 07:53 PM
We just did this last monday! There were 6 of us (all college kids) who wanted to experience Blue Bayou but without the $40 per person charge! So we went there 15 minutes early and requested a waterside table. We had to wait 25 minutes total (and for a big group) and got a great seat right near the water! 3 of us got our own cookie boat, 2 split one, and 1 got the creme brulee. You should definitely split the boat! It was so rich and delicious! There is no fee for splitting and it was only $8.99 per boat, so not completely unreasonably for Disney standards! I would DEFINITELY suggest doing this, it's a great experience!

ssturgeo
09-18-2007, 03:53 AM
The Jack Skellington Dessert = a double chocolate cake with white butter cream frosting on a bed of chocolate and raspberry sauce. Topped off with a candy painted Jack Skellington face and Mallowcreme pumpkins. Only offered during the holiday season.

Goosegirl
09-18-2007, 08:09 AM
Cool! We are going in just a few weeks and already have our PS for Blue Bayou. I will order the Jack Skellington for sure!

aznewsboy
09-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Is requesting a waterside table something I should have done when I made the reservation or do I do it once we arrive?
Should I call back or check in a few days earlier & request it in person. We leave 9/20 but our reservation isn't till 9/27. I really want this to be special for my pirate-crazed kids & my MIL.
Thanks!
Kathy

ssturgeo
09-18-2007, 10:23 AM
You need to request a waterside table when you check in for your reservation...I would get there at least 15 minutes before your reservation time...and, if a water table is important, be willing and prepared to wait, depending on the day and time of your reservation.

aznewsboy
09-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks for that info. I don't mind the wait since we've never done this before & we may enjoy it & make it a tradition. Would I appear too anxious if I went there the day before or the morning of to request it? We usually don't usually eat at places that take reservations-can you tell?!

shna
09-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Oooh - good suggestions about the waterside table & about the desserts.

DH & I have ressies tomorrow night for our 8th anniversary. I'm so excited!

ssturgeo
09-19-2007, 04:22 AM
I don't believe they would note it if you went the day before, if you go as soon as they open the day of the reservation it would be okay I imagine..We ate there in May for my birthday, went about 20 minutes before the reservation, requested a water table, and only had about a 15 minute wait past our reservation time. We got some good pictures of the Pirates of the Caribbean boats floating by!

Anxious...I don't blame you!! Don't think there is such a thing as "too anxious" when it involves ANYTHING at Disneyland!!

SANDYMARIE
09-19-2007, 07:06 AM
Oh! Man..........Jack Skellington for me!!!!! Yummy! :D

TTFN

yellowrosedtxn
09-19-2007, 07:22 AM
I know when they first opened BB up after their refurb we went to have desert only there and just got the look from a lot of people. It was a look like WHY are you wasting our time just getting desert? The waitress was very nice though when they didn't even have the desert I wanted (the one with the treasure chest) because they didn't have everything for it, she got me the chest itself to take home. THEN I forgot it at the table, had to go back and get it and they were nice enough to give it too me.

I'm glad to hear more and more people going just for desert so when we go in December, we might make desert reservations only again.

Pinkhoody
09-19-2007, 07:43 AM
Just to clarify, the cookie of the Cookie Boat dessert is soft, and more like a dense cake than anything else. Still good... a little too sweet but very good all the same.

I say this because 'cookie boat' (at least to me) implies an actual cookie (whether soft or chewy) shaped into something that would hold the ice cream. I had pictured a crispy cookie 'bowl/boat' type thing, but for the record, it's more like a wedge of dense, single layer cake, people! (With ice cream sitting on top.) :D (Unless something went horribly wrong with the dish I got. heh heh.)

Jim Dear and Darling
09-19-2007, 01:13 PM
I had pictured a crispy cookie 'bowl/boat' type thing, but for the record, it's more like a wedge of dense, single layer cake, people! (With ice cream sitting on top.) :D (Unless something went horribly wrong with the dish I got. heh heh.)

Eww. That sounds a lot less appetizing than I had been pictureing a "cookie boat" Thanks for the info.

Pinkhoody
09-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Eww. That sounds a lot less appetizing than I had been pictureing a "cookie boat" Thanks for the info.

I know. It was kinda disappointing. I would think making a real cookie boat at home would be fun, though, and not too hard at all.

I'll probably try the creme brulee when I go back in December, or the holiday dessert mentioned. The Cookie Boat dessert isn't bad, it's just not what you'd think it would be (and it isn't really, really delicious, either.) Satisfies a sweet tooth. ::shrug:: Meh. I expect a little more at DLR, or at least a clear description from the server/menu.

cstephens
09-19-2007, 01:37 PM

Here's what the cookie boat dessert looks like. (http://www.colddeadfish.net/images/Bayou/bayou08.jpg) Very tasty, but also very heavy - the husband and I split one and we still left about half of it.