PDA

View Full Version : Tower of Terror DLR vs. WDW

carolinakid
09-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Could someone who's experienced the Tower of Terror at both resorts explain to me why the WDW version is considered to be superior? I've done them both & honestly can't put my finger on much of a difference...although I generally don't tend to notice details as much as other Disney fans! Thanks guys!!

disneyhound
09-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Maybe because it was the "original"; you know how snobby some folks can be... :p

tigga please
09-14-2007, 02:03 PM
i think it has something to do with the multiple drop sequences and the end scene

mkraemer
09-14-2007, 02:39 PM
For me, it's the part where the WDW version moves you *through* a floor, as if you're going down a hallway, and the whole 'storyline' there, which also alters your senses of balance before you get to the drop sequences. That adds so much more to experience, as far as I'm concerned.

BUT...the view of DL at night is very nice and I get to go on the Tower more often since it's at DL. That's a big thing.

I think it's just too bad that the newer-built Towers aren't as 'complete' as the old version in FL. When a ride gets exported and built elsewhere, it should be *better* than the original, not cheapened. Paris is getting the same dumbed-down version as Anaheim.

Andrew
09-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Paris is getting the same dumbed-down version as Anaheim.
Tokyo, on the other hand, got a super plussed version of the original (http://www.tot1899.com/english/), though it lost the Twilight Zone backstory. Take a look at the photos here (http://www.jtcent.com/disneysea/american/amwtot.html).

jeffthechef
09-14-2007, 03:07 PM
The version at WDW actually takes you around a floor or two before returning to the elevator shaft for your final descent. The effects are a lot better as well...

mkraemer
09-14-2007, 03:08 PM
I stand corrected w/r/t my statement about the newer versions. But hey, two outta three...still is too bad!! The Tokyo version looks like what I wish had been built here (yeah, like DL was gonna spend that kinda money back then...)

Clotho
09-14-2007, 03:08 PM
The WDW one has a "5th Dimension", as they call it. The car you ride in actually leaves the first shaft, moves you through a Twilight Zone scene or two, locks into the next shaft, and then you'rew off and away.

The queue is longer and far more detailed in WDW as well!

BIRDGIRLS
09-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Dang, now I want to go to Tokyo.

The old man
09-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Maybe because it was the "original"; you know how snobby some folks can be... :p
Not close to the reason.

screamin4ever
09-14-2007, 09:36 PM
I've been on both and I actually didn't think WDW had an edge at all. The 5th dimension room was a huge disappointment. It looked like a blue lit shopping mall for ghosts. Glass figures behind glass. Huh? The motion itself was slow and obvious you were going to follow the wheel marks on the floor. At the end the elevator rolls forward and turns before unloading. Huh?

The constant criticism of the DCA version is just silly. DCA's is actually quite fun and I felt like there was more air time. I also like the more unexpected drop at DCA. At WDW you know you are rolling into a drop shaft like Freefall at Six Flags.

Ride them both and make up your own mind. DCA's isn't the evil, cheap version in my opinion.

PinokeFan
09-14-2007, 10:00 PM
I've been on both and I actually didn't think WDW had an edge at all. The 5th dimension room was a huge disappointment. It looked like a blue lit shopping mall for ghosts. Glass figures behind glass. Huh? The motion itself was slow and obvious you were going to follow the wheel marks on the floor. At the end the elevator rolls forward and turns before unloading. Huh?

The constant criticism of the DCA version is just silly. DCA's is actually quite fun and I felt like there was more air time. I also like the more unexpected drop at DCA. At WDW you know you are rolling into a drop shaft like Freefall at Six Flags.

Ride them both and make up your own mind. DCA's isn't the evil, cheap version in my opinion.
I agree with you, screamin4ever.

Being familiar with the DCA ToT before going on the WDW one, I was initially impressed by the 5th Dimension scene. But by the 3rd or 4th ride, I just wanted to get through it and get to the drop!

Also, in place of WDW's 5th Dimension, the DCA ToT adds the "wave good-bye" mirror scene -- which happens to be one of my favorite moments on any ride.

Clotho
09-14-2007, 10:23 PM

I honestly have no idea what you mean byt "blue lit shopping mall". In fact, that is what I would use to describe DLR's effects before WDW's. The motion between the first and the second shaft is the perfect speed to appreciate all the different imagery--I still haven't "seen" it all. And the turn before unloading means we exit in a different environment than where we loaded...unlkike DLR. IMO, of course!

Darkbeer
09-14-2007, 10:31 PM
WDW has a much better queue area, much more detail and you don't get stuck in the boiler area.

WDW has the 5th dimension room, which many people love, but has some defectors.

WDW exit area is totally different than the loading area, which is a major complaint at DCA. (The fact that you don't directly board the elevator, but walk thru a hallway first).

Mr.Abominable
09-15-2007, 12:26 AM
I definatly agree that the 5th Dimension room is what makes the WDW version better. I was disappointed that the Tokyo version did not have the 5th dimesnsion room but the storyline with Shiriki Utundu totally rocked and the effects in their library"waiting area" were unbelievable. I like the Twilight Zone story but I enjoyed the storyline of Tokyo's version a little more.

:eek:"Everyone must repsect the power of Shiriki Utundu!":eek:

cstephens
09-15-2007, 12:34 AM
Tokyo, on the other hand, got a super plussed version of the original (http://www.tot1899.com/english/), though it lost the Twilight Zone backstory. Take a look at the photos here (http://www.jtcent.com/disneysea/american/amwtot.html).

Yeah, we heard about that version during a seminar at the 50th event. That sounded so cool, with so many great details. I want to ride the Jungle Cruise as well, but I can't remember if it's the one at Tokyo or Hong Kong. I think it's Hong Kong.

MrTomMorrow
09-15-2007, 02:12 PM
I agree... the 5th dimension scene at WDW's tower makes the ride infinitely better. It also feels as if the queue in the boiler room goes much faster at WDW. Maybe because it's not as cavernous as the one in DCA, or maybe because the ride/load systems are different. What do you think?

Clotho
09-15-2007, 07:00 PM
It is definitely because of the ride/load. The WDW one can have multiple cars running the same "shaft" because they move cyclically from one shaft to another. So another car can be loading and moving through the 5th dimension while the first care is dropping and unloading. At DLR, only one car in the shaft at a time. They tried to combat this by doubling the cars--the upper and lower cars move together. But it means a stop-go-stop-go pace to the line, while the WDW can have more flow. I THINK there are more shafts at WDW as well, if I am not mistaken? Can anyone confirm?

screamin4ever
09-16-2007, 07:33 AM
I honestly have no idea what you mean byt "blue lit shopping mall". In fact, that is what I would use to describe DLR's effects before WDW's. The motion between the first and the second shaft is the perfect speed to appreciate all the different imagery--I still haven't "seen" it all. And the turn before unloading means we exit in a different environment than where we loaded...unlkike DLR. IMO, of course!

When I rode WDW's TOT the 5th dimension room was a dark, rectangular room with class walls lining the corridor and what appeared to be glass figures of people bottom lit, static, behind the glass. It just felt like a shopping mall to me. The wheel marks were clearly visible on the floor. I WANTED to be wowed! I WANTED to be blown away.
This room has a lot of potential but it needs a serious upgrade.

I do not understand the fanaticism over this room nor the comment that this room makes the WDW version far superior. I get the opinion, but it seems way over the top.

TOT needed a transfer room because the technology of the day required it. It was based on the Freefall ride at Magic Mountain for heaven's sake. Up---over---drop.

DCA's TOT does have you spend too much in the boiler room and it looks too much like Roger Rabbit to me. But the endless posts about the DCA's TOT being terrible are just stupid.

It would be similar to me saying WDW's POTC is a complete failure because it is missing a second drop and the underground caverns that Disneyland has. That is stupid. I may prefer Disneyland's version but it does NOT make WDW's a disaster.

Clotho
09-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Ah but nobody said "complete failure". I would also say that DLR's POTC is far superior to the WDW version. I remember the first time I rode the WDW version after a lifetime of DLR, not knowing there was a difference. I was like, "WHAT?!" It was so short and strange and lacking the details of DLR.

So, too, when I rode DLR's TOT after falling in love with it at WDW. I was like "WHAT?!"

So over the top for you is just natural reactions for some of us. It's okay if you don't share the opinion, but don't poo-poo it just because you don't understand why we feel so strongly about it.

charpaul
09-16-2007, 06:26 PM
WDW TOT also has the Randomizer working for it. The drop sequence is randomized in the middle of the ride - you don't know what the sequence will be for YOUR ride. The first and last drops are always the same, but the middle is always a surprise.

The DCA TOT is always the same sequence of drops. It is predictable if you are fortunate enough to ride it frequently.:rolleyes: I have heard that DCA has the randomizer technology, but has not put it into use yet.

TTFN92
09-17-2007, 02:04 PM
When we went on the WDW ToT, I was ready to be wowed. From everything I heard on this board I thought it was going to be so much better. I didn't think it was. Yes, there was more to it, but it didn't necessarily make the ride that much better. I also didn't notice anything better about the drops. We went on it probably 3 times and I couldn't tell the difference between each time. I also wasn't wowed by Splash Mtn. It was different, not better.

startrader
09-17-2007, 08:58 PM
For me, it's the part where the WDW version moves you *through* a floor, as if you're going down a hallway, and the whole 'storyline' there, which also alters your senses of balance before you get to the drop sequences. That adds so much more to experience, as far as I'm concerned.

I agree completely. I first rode ToT at WDW - and thought it was awesome. I came to DCA the next year and rode ToT there and was disappointed. I was expecting the same experience as the one at WDW and didn't really get it. But, for those who haven't ever ridden the ToT at WDW, DCA's version is just fine.

On another note, I had to do some major convincing to get my girl friend to ride ToT at DCA. She's afraid of heights. When she saw the "seating" chart for the ride above the elevators and saw that we were standing in spots 1 and 2 (or is it 5 and 6? whatever is right inside the doors) she thought for sure we'd be sitting in the back where it's "safe". I just let her believe that....... :D She ended up riding the ride, screaming her head off and enjoying the whole thing. :D