PDA

View Full Version : Package Express or Check???

Mickeyslittlehelper
07-17-2002, 05:58 PM
:confused: Did they take away package express??? and the new "package check", you have to take the purchases yourself to the front?

Thanks,
John

Tony
07-17-2002, 06:09 PM
You are correct. As a "customer service enhancement," Package Express was eliminated. You can schlep your packages up to the check location yourself, but that is it.

While I have not seen any hard information, my guess is that this has impacted sales of larger items, artwork, etc.

AnimeNut
07-17-2002, 07:51 PM
Hey, everybody!

I was just at the DLR last week, staying at the Grand Californian. I bought a medium-sized bag o' stuff at Greetings from California and had no problem getting the package shipped to my hotel -- without having to take the bag to the front myself. Of course, this shop is 20 steps away from the main package drop-off, and I couldn't pick up my package until 8 am the following day... but Package Express still exists.

At least in the minds of most DLR store managers.

Cheers,
Anime Nut

AVP
07-17-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by AnimeNut
Hey, everybody!

I was just at the DLR last week, staying at the Grand Californian. I bought a medium-sized bag o' stuff at Greetings from California and had no problem getting the package shipped to my hotel -- without having to take the bag to the front myself. Of course, this shop is 20 steps away from the main package drop-off, and I couldn't pick up my package until 8 am the following day... but Package Express still exists.

At least in the minds of most DLR store managers.

Cheers,
Anime Nut

Greetings from California is the designated Package "Express-it-Yourself", (my term for the new "service"), drop off point for DCA, so purchases made in that store are considered to have been "droppped off" if you request package express.

Had you made that purchase across the way in EngineEars toys, you would have needed to bring the bag into Greetings to drop it off.

There are still some locations which will assist you to the drop off location with your purchases, because their managers hate to lose sales, but most simply don't have the staff.

AVP

mcampisi
07-18-2002, 05:28 AM
is that how it works now if you are a guest at the hotels? You still have to bring it up yourself and you wont get it until the morning of the next day?

mousey_girl
07-18-2002, 08:24 AM
I would love to see the actual amounts the stores (espcially the Gallery) are losing due to PE being cancelled. This is really going to be bad for the parks during the holiday season. I used to buy at least 1/2 of my Christmas presents during our annual trek. hat won't be the case this year unless PE comes back.

kranders
07-18-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by mcampisi
is that how it works now if you are a guest at the hotels? You still have to bring it up yourself and you wont get it until the morning of the next day?
No. If you are staying in a Disney Hotel you can leave the merchandise at any of the stores and they will deliver it directly to your hotel. You don't need to take it yourself to the front. Your package will be available at the hotel by 8am the next morning.

goofey
07-18-2002, 04:48 PM
I used to work in Package Express, or PX, as we abbreviate it. Beginning March 1, 2002, the old PX went away and split into two services: Package Check-In and Next-Day Resort Hotel Delivery, both of which are still done by the Main Entrance Stores complex (Stroller Shop, Newsstand, and the Guide stands). You guys are correct: If you want your package kept at the front gate, you gotta bring it to Newsstand (DL) or Greetings from California (DCA) yourself. However, if you want it delivered to the bell desk of any DLR hotel, you can still leave it at the store where you bought it from, except it's now a next-day delivery service, just like it was before DCA opened. All of us older CMs still call the Hotel Delivery service Package Express.

Under the old PX, we would get about 1200 packages on days where attendance was 60-70k, and for us this was considered extremely busy. Do the math, and that's less than 5% of all park guests using the service. The higher up managers decided it was inefficient and too much labor hours, and rumors are that Cynthia Harriss herself signed the order to take it away.

From my understanding, the old DCA PX storage area and pick-up window are now the Resort's central Lost & Found.

RStar
07-19-2002, 09:03 AM
Frankly, I only used PX twice sence it begain. I just never wanted to have to wait until after the time I could pick it up if I wanted to leave early. And the last time I used it when I was leaving the park at closeing time I had to wait 45 min in line to get my bag. I prefer to use a locker if the purchase fits (and always does for me). And now with the new lockers you don't have to pay every time you open it. It's worth the extra cost if you have to walk it up to the front any way, and you're in control of when you can get it. I use the lockers to the left of the DL entrance for both parks and Down Town Disney.

Mickeyslittlehelper
07-19-2002, 10:42 AM
I have recieved a response from Disneyland guest relations that said:

You'll be pleased to know that the service to which you referred, Package Express, is now called Package Pickup and is still available to our Guests. Simply(YEAH RIGHT) take your purchases to the Newsstand at the Main Entrance. They will be
held for you there until you exit the Park. We're sure you'll agree that this is an invaluable resource for all of our shopping Guests.
(thats why you shouldnt have changed it!)

goofey
07-19-2002, 06:38 PM
You'll be pleased to know that the service to which you referred, Package Express, is now called Package Pickup and is still available to our Guests. Simply(YEAH RIGHT) take your purchases to the Newsstand at the Main Entrance. They will be held for you there until you exit the Park. We're sure you'll agree that this is an invaluable resource for all of our shopping Guests.
(thats why you shouldnt have changed it!)

All I have to say to that is, Guest Relations has a way of softening up things for guests.

When PX went away, it threw off a lot of the CMs who regularly worked it. They had to go to other locations, and a lot of their high seniority pushed some regular CMs out of their coveted morning shifts. PX CMs work in the DL stores department, and some CMs had been so used to PX that they didn't know and in many cases didn't want to work in an actual store again. One of my friends quit, I believe as a direct result of the end of the old PX. I could go on and on and on, but I don't want to bore you guys. All in all, the end of PX irritated us just as much as it did you guys.

Oh yeah, shortly after PX ended a friend of mine told me that Guest Relations CMs were bragging about getting our old DCA PX window and storage space to use for the new Resort Lost & Found. We all know they didn't terribly like us as their old neighbors.

Ace
07-20-2002, 04:58 PM
so the chances that I'm going to get another attraction poster from there have been reduced to zero? nice choice, Disney.