PDA

View Full Version : Disney violates Chinese labour laws:

newhdplayer
09-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Workers at a Chinese factory making Disney toys are overworked, underpaid, exposed to dangerous toxins and forced to live in filthy conditions, a labour rights group said in a report Wednesday.
The study, released on the second anniversary of the opening of Hong Kong Disneyland, said factory workers complained they were forced to work 28 days a month and up to 15 hours a day.

rest of the story:http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070912080154.wha6lkg6&show_article=1

shna
09-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Unless I interpreted the article incorrectly, Disney itself was not violating the labor laws -- the company they hired to produce the toys was violating the labor laws.

Of course, that company probably won the contract for submitting the lowest bid -- if you severely underpay & overwork your staff, you can produce things cheaply.

So yes -- it would be lovely of Disney to inspect the factories of any company making toys for them to make sure labor laws are being obeyed -- but I doubt that any Chinese factory would let outsiders in, or would let outsiders see what's truly going on.

merryweather20
09-23-2007, 11:25 AM
I hate that people are trying to cast a negative light on Disney because of this. Even if Disney did go to inspect the factory the sub-contractor would just switch factories after the inspection. For companies that do inspect the sub-contractors just coach all the employees to lie about conditions when interviewed.

steamboatpookster
09-26-2007, 06:08 AM
American corporations need to bring their manufacturing BACK to the United States--period. There's nothing cheap about Disney products anyway. The same thing was also said about Apple's manufacturing in China as well.