PDA

View Full Version : The Future Of Fastpasses

Doug
09-13-2007, 12:01 PM
This story on MiceAge
http://miceage.com/kevinyee/ky091307a.htm
Reminds me of an idea I had months ago... Disney should have a number you call (from your cell), either the day before, or the day of, your visit, which would at least let you "subscribe" (for the day), to alerts as to current wait times, and ride closures, example txt message:

Pan:45
Spl:Down
SM:30
SW:5

Something like that, and they could send out theses alerts, perhaps every 15 minutes, or maybe even have an option for every 5 minutes, or whatever... It's annoying to have to walk over to the hub just to see what the wait times are, I also hate walking over to a FP machine to get FP's, then walk across the park to meet up with your party again ... time consuming, and tiring (ok, Splash is the big offender here, why in the WORLD is the FP machine so far away? Would be better if it was next to the exit for HM, where the Splash ling tends to end...

Just my thoughts... feel free to share yours :)

MileHighAko
09-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Yeah, sounds interesting. But rather than have alerts (push method), make it a pull method. For example, to find out the wait of Space Mountain, you text SM to a number and it sends you back a message with the wait time. The problem with alerts (push) is, for example, when you're in PoTC and everyone's phone goes off at the same time telling them that Splash Mountain just went down and therefore disturbing the ride.

Just my thought. It's cool though to stat thinking of new ways to use technology to enhance your park experience.

dawnid
09-13-2007, 01:38 PM
OKay I'm hoping this is read in the manner I wrote it - meaning not snotty.

We are talking about a company that has the slooooooooowst web site around and manages to have problems on a semi-regular basis when registering online. Disney does magic better than anyone else but their IT department/resources must be seriously underbudgeted. We used to joke/complain/shake our heads about the computer system when I worked at WDTC in 2005. The CM web site isn't consistantly updated, I think the last pin of the month picture they show is from 1/04 and the last pin information is from 3/07. If they can't update information on a monthly basis I don't see how they could keep up with changing wait times.

I can't see Disney being able to pull this off. It would be a wonderful feature though.

Bytebear
09-13-2007, 03:06 PM
OKay I'm hoping this is read in the manner I wrote it - meaning not snotty.

We are talking about a company that has the slooooooooowst web site around and manages to have problems on a semi-regular basis when registering online. Disney does magic better than anyone else but their IT department/resources must be seriously underbudgeted. We used to joke/complain/shake our heads about the computer system when I worked at WDTC in 2005. The CM web site isn't consistantly updated, I think the last pin of the month picture they show is from 1/04 and the last pin information is from 3/07. If they can't update information on a monthly basis I don't see how they could keep up with changing wait times.

I can't see Disney being able to pull this off. It would be a wonderful feature though.

It is interesting, but I think it could be pulled off, if they use automation. I am still amazed they don't have an electronic wait board, and that they give someone a card at the end of the line and then give it to the CM at the front of the line to determine wait times. Talk about the dark ages. I would love to be on the imagineering team developing new technologies for this kind of thing. I do think they have some things a bit too automated though. I hear their CM scheduling program is a real no brainer. Put in all the CMs and their work hours into the computer and it spits out all breaks and lunches automatically. Good in theory, but too rigid for my tastes.

MileHighAko
09-13-2007, 04:26 PM
I am still amazed they don't have an electronic wait board.

Oh, I love this! To me its like a personal touch that they have a manual board showing the wait times. The other stuff you say about their internal systems, yeah, they probably need to upgrade. But don't change the wait board. It is classic the way it is.

I recently went on a cruise (not Disney by the way) and really enjoyed the service I received... it exceeded the friendliness and cleanliness of Disneyland. Rather than spend money on new software systems, I would LOVE to see Disney get the magic back in the cast members. Some are still outstanding, but the average has gone down in the past 5, 10 years. I don't mean to change the topic of this thread, so enough about that.

cynthia312
09-13-2007, 11:06 PM
This story on MiceAge
http://miceage.com/kevinyee/ky091307a.htm
Reminds me of an idea I had months ago... Disney should have a number you call (from your cell), either the day before, or the day of, your visit, which would at least let you "subscribe" (for the day), to alerts as to current wait times, and ride closures, example txt message:

Pan:45
Spl:Down
SM:30
SW:5

Something like that, and they could send out theses alerts, perhaps every 15 minutes, or maybe even have an option for every 5 minutes, or whatever... It's annoying to have to walk over to the hub just to see what the wait times are, I also hate walking over to a FP machine to get FP's, then walk across the park to meet up with your party again ... time consuming, and tiring (ok, Splash is the big offender here, why in the WORLD is the FP machine so far away? Would be better if it was next to the exit for HM, where the Splash ling tends to end...

Just my thoughts... feel free to share yours :)

yeah...I also believe that Splash Mtn's FP machine is just wayyyy tooo farrrr from the end of the ride line itself. I think a long time ago....[well not long but maybe sometime around 2002-2003] the FP machines WAS by end of the line where you line up for splash mountain. and it WAS by the exit of haunted mansion. Does anyone remember that?? I could've sworn it was right there. I don't know why they would move it all the way over where it's currently at right now. :confused:

tripodjw
09-14-2007, 02:27 AM
Don't forget just cos they filed a patent on it doesn't mean they plan on using it.

An awful lot of patents filed, especially by big corporations are for ideas they have but that they never intend to use anf either want to prevent their competitors using or to generate revenue by licensing it to third parties.

There's a UK patent for a catflap control for an outer-space laser beam weapon but i don't imagine that'll be used in the 20yr life of that patent.

Trust me, I'm a patent attorney. ;)

disneyhound
09-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Interesting column. I hope they don't mess too much with the current FP system. Seems to work well. As the column points out, those who do a little research, hello mousepadders, get the most benefit from the FP attractions. The idea of a cast system is a bit troubling. On-site hotel guests already have the addition of EE every day of their visit.

mkraemer
09-14-2007, 02:46 PM
I found that the FP system was run differently at DLParis. At one point, you could 'collect' FPs for every ride that had FP and have multiple FPs at the same time--just not for the same ride (does that make sense?). That means you could have a FP for Space Mtn., Big Thunder, Peter Pan, etc, but not two for Space and two for Big Thunder. Also, they were more strict about coming back within the specified timeframe than DL is. Also, the Disney hotels offered a 'hotel FP' to guests, one per day, for one attraction. But the big whammy was for the people who were willing to shell out the very big bucks to stay in suites or in the DLH 'Castle Club' level and they receive a VIP FP, which basically gives unlimited FP use for their stay.

And as far as EE goes, we were able to have free breakfast in Fantasyland during our stay onsite at DLParis, an hour before park opening (breakfast was included in the cost of our hotel--that's a pretty typical thing). But it was NICE to be able to get so far into the park, eat, and go on rides before the park really opened up (and collect FPs!). That was a perk limited to onsite hotel guests, and I think limited to some specific hotels, but I'm not totally sure about that.

So, there are other options that are already in play at Disney parks...which might be a consideration for DL. I could see the VIP FP scenario or some modified version of it for DLR hotel guests.

I've always been surprised that FP has remained a freebie at the park.

Bytebear
09-14-2007, 08:09 PM
yeah...I also believe that Splash Mtn's FP machine is just wayyyy tooo farrrr from the end of the ride line itself. I think a long time ago....[well not long but maybe sometime around 2002-2003] the FP machines WAS by end of the line where you line up for splash mountain. and it WAS by the exit of haunted mansion. Does anyone remember that?? I could've sworn it was right there. I don't know why they would move it all the way over where it's currently at right now. :confused:

It did use to be near the Haunted Mansion, and in fact, the machines are still there (or at least they were last time I was there). I think they moved them down further to get more foot traffic near the Pooh ride.

MrTomMorrow
09-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Hmm... seems to make sense. Although now the original FP area for Splash just sits empty... they should put a character meet-and-greet there or something...

cynthia312
09-15-2007, 11:45 PM
It did use to be near the Haunted Mansion, and in fact, the machines are still there (or at least they were last time I was there). I think they moved them down further to get more foot traffic near the Pooh ride.

Oh yea!!! Totally forgot about that. The Pooh ride....ahhh, gotcha!

I still think it's more convienent for the machines to be where it used to be [by exit of HM.] Many times I see tourists or any 'first timers' looking so confused trying to figure out where the FP machines are. Then some thinks the line to GET a FP is the actual line for stand-by [since the stand by wait time/FP return time is right by there.]

Doug
09-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Wait a minute.... the FP machines for Splash where next to the HM exit? When was this... I do not remember... anyone have a pic?

Oh yea!!! Totally forgot about that. The Pooh ride....ahhh, gotcha!

I still think it's more convienent for the machines to be where it used to be [by exit of HM.] Many times I see tourists or any 'first timers' looking so confused trying to figure out where the FP machines are. Then some thinks the line to GET a FP is the actual line for stand-by [since the stand by wait time/FP return time is right by there.]

CookieBandit
09-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Yep, a pull system text message alert would be great. There are some sites that let you check sports scores or horoscopes like this. That way, you get to control which alerts you get, how often (or infrequent), etc.

I probably wouldn't like the other possibility - where it sends every 15 minutes or however long... I have only the 200 messages plan so I would want to make sure not to go over my limit... plus, it would be distracting. You might be on a ride at the time...

And though I think it would be great, I don't think it's crucial... just a convenience that would be great if it was available but not a must-have.