PDA

View Full Version : Questions: Steering the Twain and Tinkerbell's flight

kidrericha
09-13-2007, 11:48 AM
I have a few general Disneyland questions I'm curious if anyone can answer. Bear with me, because I'm going through kind of a Disneyland Renaissance the past year after having been away for the past decade. I apologize if these questions make me sound stupid and uniformed, but.... I'm stupid.... and uninformed. I will throw these on the board at random when they come to me.

• I remember that if you wer elucky, they'd let you "steer" the Mark Twain. Do they still do this for the (select) little ones?

• I remember my Mom talking about Tinkerbell flying across the park when she was a kid. And I recall somebody telling me they still do that. Is this true? If so, when do they do it?

Andrew
09-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Moderator's note: I've moved your question out of the MouseAdventure thread into the Disneyland forum where it might get more useful responses.

DizneyMommy
09-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Not sure about MT but Tink flies usually after/during the fireworks on nights they are scheduled. She flies from Matterhorn towards the castle

D15
09-13-2007, 01:04 PM
We were there over the weekend and asked about steering the Mark Twain, and would have been allowed to (the CM had no problem with it) except that they were training for new CM captains, so we were told to check back later and see if training was over. Otherwise, I believe it's still quite possible to do it; I'd imagine it'd probably be up to whichever lead was working and if the captain of the MT felt like company or not ;)

Franz
09-13-2007, 03:31 PM
My son got to steer the Mark Twain last December. It was the greatest park experience of his life! Not only do you steer the boat, but you also get to ring the bell and toot the horn (only as per the instrucitons of the CM of course) He recieved an official River Pilot's license at the end of the ride. (he is still convinced that only his careful handling of the huge wheel kept us from ramming the rocks & canoes.)

For the best chance at manning the helm, show up at the dock very early in the morning when next to nobody is getting on the Twain, go straight up to the entrance to the pilot house and ask politely. (of course it helps to have an adorable child with you...)

Good luck and have fun - and for heaven's sake, watch out for those darned canoes!

Bytebear
09-13-2007, 03:38 PM
On a related note, you can also request a co-pilot seat on the Monorail.

DizneyMommy
09-13-2007, 04:02 PM
On a related note, you can also request a co-pilot seat on the Monorail.

We always do this if it looks like no one else is going to, it is SOOOO fun! Everyone should do this at least once! (But then, I guess we'd never get to ride again if everyone in the park tried to do it!)

Crazydave
09-13-2007, 04:32 PM
I love riding in the front of the monorail. I still have yet to ask for a wheel house ride on the Mark Twain.

Also don't forget to ask for a tender ride (where you sit on the tender car next to the engineers) at the main st. Station for the steam trains!

this is wonderful experience for those that love trains.

Sometimes, they will let you ring the bell.

(the don't offer tender rides if they are training, have to blow off steam, take on water, and not all trains have seats for tender rides)

miss bianca
09-14-2007, 04:58 AM
I love riding in the front of the monorail. I still have yet to ask for a wheel house ride on the Mark Twain.

Also don't forget to ask for a tender ride (where you sit on the tender car next to the engineers) at the main st. Station for the steam trains!

this is wonderful experience for those that love trains.
Sometimes, they will let you ring the bell.
(the don't offer tender rides if they are training, have to blow off steam, take on water, and not all trains have seats for tender rides)

Is it correct if you do this you have to board on Main Street and stay on for the entire loop or is that just if you ride on the Lily Belle?

DizneyMommy
09-14-2007, 06:01 AM
Is it correct if you do this you have to board on Main Street and stay on for the entire loop or is that just if you ride on the Lily Belle?

I have seen people exit the LB at NOS, and heard toward Club 33, dressed nicely. I don't see why anyone would have to ride it all the way around...?

smd4
09-14-2007, 06:16 AM
Is it correct if you do this you have to board on Main Street and stay on for the entire loop or is that just if you ride on the Lily Belle?It is correct that when taking a cab/tender ride, one must board at Main Street and ride the entire way around.

miss bianca
09-14-2007, 06:27 AM
It is correct that when taking a cab/tender ride, one must board at Main Street and ride the entire way around.

Thanks Steve - thought I had read that somewhere :)

kidrericha
09-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Are there any other cool thing like that where if you ask the CM's politely, they may accomodate you? I am taking the little one in November and she gets so excited for stuff like that.

dougeebear
09-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Just be prepared to hear "No". I have read other threads where the Mark Twain Wheelhouse is now one of the Million Dreams prizes and they won't allow regular guests to enter. If they let you, consider yourself doubly blessed.

hefferdude
09-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Are there any other cool thing like that where if you ask the CM's politely, they may accomodate you? I am taking the little one in November and she gets so excited for stuff like that.

Not a big deal but riding in the front seat with the driver of the Omnibus is kinda fun. Also, sit in the caboose of the train ( but not the Lily Bell ) so when they stop at NOS, you listen to the sounds coming out of the back of a nightclub/diner.

Edit: My son and I once played " all they can do is say no " trying all these things. As long as we were courteous and waited, we got to do most things mentioned.

danyoung
09-14-2007, 12:56 PM
• I remember my Mom talking about Tinkerbell flying across the park when she was a kid. And I recall somebody telling me they still do that. Is this true? If so, when do they do it?

Tinkerbell used to fly unpowered - they took her up to the top of the Matterhorn and let her slide down a wire. Now there's a very cool motorized rig that allows her to fly backwards as well as forwards, and also has a winch on it so she flies up and down as well. It's all computer controlled, but the effect is completely stunning - much more like a real flight instead of a plunge into Frontierland. Very very cool!

4princesses
09-14-2007, 01:20 PM
You can also ask the Tiki Room CM if you can "wake up Jose" If the CM says yes, your child hangs out with them at the side of the room until the show starts & then gets to go up with the stick and tap the cage and say the famous "wake up Jose" line.

My kids love to do this the first time we go through on our visit to DL. The next 4,000 times we go during our visit (my DS loves the Tiki Room!) we don't ask so that other people can get a chance.