PDA

View Full Version : A question about Gay Days at DLR

carolinakid
09-12-2007, 01:21 PM
I was just curious why Gay Days at DLR are held in the month of October? In WDW they are in June & I know June is Gay Pride Month with all the parades...so does anyone know why the gay & lesbian community gets together at DLR in October?

Wedge
09-12-2007, 01:23 PM
I would imagine because it's less crowded and also this year it is on a 3 day weekend for some people. This probably lets them enjoy the park more than just having to deal with huge crowds in June.

DangerMouse
09-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Just guessing here, but perhaps:

Nicer weather? Smaller Crowds?

Darkbeer
09-12-2007, 01:54 PM
From the Gay Days Website FAQ's...

http://www.gaydaysanaheim.com/gay_days_faq.html

Why is the event the first weekend in October?

While the first weekend in October is sometimes Columbus Day weekend, it is also the month in which Disneyland traditionally sees its lowest attendance, which makes it the ideal time to fill the park with as many gays as possible. Also, the weather in October is generally pleasant and warm, rather than oppressively hot as it can be during the summer or cool and possibly rainy as the winter can be. Technically, we base the event around the first Saturday in October, so the Friday could be in September.

chepar
09-12-2007, 02:36 PM
I began planning a very short business trip a few weeks ago and found out that I would be in the Disneyland area. Decided to extend the trip by a day or so to visit the parks for half a day on 10/6 and a full day on 10/7.

Was dismayed to find out that this particular weekend is Gay Days - ONLY because of the added crowd consideration. I've been reading that the parks may be close to or at capacity that weekend.

My sister and 3 yr old nephew will be with me, and this will be his first time to any Disney park. Until I heard about Gay Days, I had been thinking that this time of year would be ideal as an off-peak time to visit all those Fantasyland rides with my nephew.

Well, a crowded day at Disney is better than no Disney at all, I guess.

itig
09-12-2007, 02:44 PM
chepar - you may consider alternating your park visits opposite the weekend schedule for less crowding. I think it's one day in DL and the other in DCA...not sure. Just an idea...

Darkbeer
09-12-2007, 02:56 PM
While it has been traditional that the Gay Days folks spend Saturday at Disneyland, and Sunday at DCA, seems like there are a lot of folks that decide to spend at least part of Sunday at Disneyland. I know that at least one group has a full day of events being held in Disneyland on both Saturday and Sunday.

Just like the general public, more folks will visit Disneyland as compared to DCA on any given day.

chepar
09-12-2007, 05:34 PM
chepar - you may consider alternating your park visits opposite the weekend schedule for less crowding. I think it's one day in DL and the other in DCA...not sure. Just an idea...

That is generally our plan - the half day on Saturday at DCA, going over to DL after DCA closes and the full Sunday at DL. My nephew will be on Hawaii time (3 hours behind), so he'll be able to stay up pretty late California time.

But as Darkbeer indicated, there probably is crossover between the two parks on both days.

My main goal is to ride Finding Nemo once - and hopefully with a 1 hour - 45 minute or less wait. Not sure if that's totally unrealistic for this particular weekend. I had thoughts on attempting to ride it first thing Sunday morning when the park opens, but I'll need to stop and put stuff in a locker first, so by the time I'm done with that, I'm sure the line will already be long.

carolinakid
09-13-2007, 04:33 AM
Thanks Darkbeer! I was hoping you'd respond to this post because I knew you'd have the answer!

DizneyMommy
09-13-2007, 06:08 AM
The parks have not traditionally reached capacity because of this event alone, so I don't think you need to worry about not getting in.

CHOC walk has traditionally been on the same weekend as Gay Days, and this year has moved to the end of October, which will take a load off of the parks for that weekend.

daveywest
09-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Gay Day is also known as Red Shirt Day. I (uncomfortably) learned that lesson a couple years ago when my wardrobe accidentally matched the festivities.

MadasaHatter
09-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Going to gay days again and I can answer a bunch of your questions....

OCTOBER 11th is National Coming Out Day so I suppose that is why they have the festivities in Anaheim at that time.

Last year the CHOC walk was the same time and it was a bit crowded but like other posts said it is moved this year as to not crush the park.

Darkbeer is right about the crowds.....always go early and you never know how packed it will be....the Hallowe'en Time seems to get more and more popular...also look into Mickey's Hallowe'en Treat if you are interested that Friday night!!!

Everyone can wear red on GAY DAYS....I have gone with friends EVERY year who are not gay and they always have worn RED including my high school chum and her hubby and her daughter....who by the way knew it was GAY DAY and knew we were supposed to wear our red shirts and that was the end of our celebration. She was so excited to be in Disneyland and we were so excited to show her around that we didn't even participate in any "gay" events that day and just rode rides and saw shows and got character autographs....

Also there are really discounted tickets and hotel accomodations on the GAY DAYS web site if you are interested!!!! Not just for Gay people but supporters.....(ps....my high school friend has probably done more for gay rights than a lot of gay people so I think she was very deserving of discounted park tickets and hotel rooms....)

Any other questions just ask!!!! Cheers.....

Mickeygirlforever
09-13-2007, 09:17 AM
Gay Day is also known as Red Shirt Day. I (uncomfortably) learned that lesson a couple years ago when my wardrobe accidentally matched the festivities.

Oh man! That happened to us too once! Funny! Glad we're not the only ones, lol!

Bytebear
09-13-2007, 02:40 PM
If you want to be supportive by wearing red, but want to make it clear you are straight, go to this thread which has some slogan suggestions (as well as event pricing information):

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=76574

kathynova
09-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Can someone please clarify...if I buy tickets from the Gay Days site, do they have to be used for that event? It says that they expire on 12/13/07. We are actually going to the park on 11/29 and would love to use the discounted tickets. Is that okay?

Bytebear
09-13-2007, 03:12 PM
The tickets are good any day up to 12/13/07 so you are good to buy them. No worries. Have fun.

kathynova
09-13-2007, 03:28 PM
The tickets are good any day up to 12/13/07 so you are good to buy them. No worries. Have fun.

Thank you so much for the quick response. I have an annual pass, but my travel companions need tickets. And they are gay...just can't make it to the gay days event and would love to take advantage of the discount ticket price!