PDA

View Full Version : I warned them not to go to Captain Kidd's

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

The old man
09-12-2007, 08:00 AM
I put together an DLR gameplan for some friends of mine. They were there 9/7 & 8. Turns out they didn't need any of my strategies--they were able to walk onto many rides.

They stayed at the BWPPI. I warned them not to eat any meals at Captain Kidd's and if possible buy frozen breakfasts and bypass the continential breakfast.

Did they listen to me? Noooo. Here's the report--CK for dinner. "You told us it was bad, but not that it was not uneatible." They say it may be the worst meal they've ever eaten in their lives.

Breakfast? Well we all know it barely meets the basic criteria of continential breakfast. Bread in the shape of a bagel, oranges, apples and one or two cereals. She said (though I don't remember it this way) they toast the bread and put it on a tray. And I guess that's why there's a tip jar. :)

Moral--Listen to the person who studies MousePlanet and other sources for touring info.

mommy-san
09-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Made my stomach turn to read the words 'captain kidds'. NEVER again. This is truly the only place i have ever been that I DIDN'T let my daughter wash her hands in the bathroom- the place was too filthy. We pretty much ran from the place. Almost wished I was brave enough to do a dine&dash.

spectromen
09-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Do they have a letter grade in the window? I forget if Orange county even does that.

The old man
09-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Do they have a letter grade in the window? I forget if Orange county even does that.

Z

JamesDL
09-12-2007, 12:14 PM
What is Captain Kidds? I'm guessing a restaurant but where? What kind of food? Just want to know so I stay far away! :p

Disney Donna
09-12-2007, 01:03 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Captain Kidd's is a restaurant right across the street (literally) from the DLR entrance if you are to walk there. Our hotel was within walking distance and we passed Captain Kidd's all the time.

I remember getting a coupon (adults pay, kids eat free or something like that). It crossed my mind to eat there because as we all know -- visiting DLR isn't cheap! So I thought I could save some money. But, thank goodness, we never did eat there -- and never will! Thanks for the warning, The Old Man!

By the way, I also looked up another website and saw another review for this place -- yes, people find this restaurant totally revolting.

I agree with The Old Man: Moral--Listen to the person who studies MousePlanet and other sources for touring info.

aznewsboy
09-12-2007, 03:04 PM
We stayed at the Best Western Park Place Inn 2 years in a row & will be there again in 10 days. We will not eat at Captain Kidds again.
Once we tried the free pancake breakfast but left after no one came to our table for at least 10 minutes & it was not even busy. Then we tried some buy one get one free deal but their prices are not less than in the park in my opinion and the food was just BAD. Hope this helps someone avoid the place.
We do enjoy the hotel though-this will be our 3rd year there with no problems.

MrsPooh
09-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Ugh. Captain Kidds. What a horrible place.

Rotten service, crappy food.

NEVER AGAIN!!

We stumbled upon it once because we let ourselves get overly hungry and it was the closest spot. And, from the outside it looks cool.

Not.

aznewsboy, we had the same crappy service you had. The place is an abomination. The only saving grace was that we didn't get sick on it. Shocking.

Bolivar
09-12-2007, 03:36 PM
What is Captain Kidds? I'm guessing a restaurant but where? What kind of food? Just want to know so I stay far away! :p

Think Denny's or IHOP but with far worse food and service.

Disney Donna
09-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Yes, from what I can remember, I agree with MrsPooh -- the restaurant does look like it would be kind of fun from the outside. It has a theme and looks like it knows how to cater to a family with kids. I can easily see how it would attract the attention of some unsuspecting child.

Plus, like I said, I got a coupon somehow (probably from just walking by and someone handed it out to me? I can't remember.) The coupon looked like a good deal.

But -- let's not be fooled! We Mouseplaneters tell each other things and help each other out! Plus we all want to ENJOY DLR and not be sick at the hotel or on our airplane/car ride home!

PartridgeFam 2004
09-12-2007, 04:23 PM
I ate there once. The dinner buffet reminded me of the movie Vegas Vacation where all the food looks the same and tastes the same. I wanted the refried beans there but after scraping the dried stuff off the top say NO WAY. I really did not want to spend the day at Disneyland sick. The kids liked it but do they really know what is good?

Leofoenget
09-12-2007, 04:55 PM
I put together an DLR gameplan for some friends of mine. They were there 9/7 & 8. Turns out they didn't need any of my strategies--they were able to walk onto many rides.

They stayed at the BWPPI. I warned them not to eat any meals at Captain Kidd's and if possible buy frozen breakfasts and bypass the continential breakfast.

Did they listen to me? Noooo. Here's the report--CK for dinner. "You told us it was bad, but not that it was not uneatible." They say it may be the worst meal they've ever eaten in their lives.

Breakfast? Well we all know it barely meets the basic criteria of continential breakfast. Bread in the shape of a bagel, oranges, apples and one or two cereals. She said (though I don't remember it this way) they toast the bread and put it on a tray. And I guess that's why there's a tip jar. :)

Moral--Listen to the person who studies MousePlanet and other sources for touring info.

I got roped into eating there last year with my 8 year old Pirate Crazed son, who loved it BTW. I have to agree it was the worst buffet meal I think I have ever had. I also warned my husband not to eat there with same son last May but my son BEGGED to eat there so they did. (the things we do for our children)

AS for the Breakfast, while it's not the Embassy Suites, it isnt' THAT bad. Basic but nothing special. Its about 1000% better than the pitiful fair offered by the Desert inn and Suites 4 doors down.

Location: Next door to the BWPPI at the stop light on Harbor into the park. They share a driveway. Can't miss it. they have young men standing at the corner begging people to come in, and young families running out the front door gagging.....

bathtubs
09-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Our food experience was good there (I know shocking!), I think we timed it just as the fresher stuff was brought out so we had no huge complaints for that. But service...holy dinah it sucked. So we did learn our lesson and we wont go back there, but for the record I hadnt seen anything on here saying avoid at all costs until we got home

The old man
09-12-2007, 05:32 PM
...The place is an abomination. The only saving grace was that we didn't get sick on it. Shocking.
That's what my friend said, they were sure they were going to get sick.

Only their daughter liked her food==she got plain, no nothin' on it, pasta. So apparently they can boil water.

amarvel
09-12-2007, 08:24 PM
huh didnt know people didnt like it! we have eaten the free pancake meal twice there and thought it was fine. slower service sure but not gross or anything. hmmm me thinks i wont eat there after this thread though:D

iLuvDisney26
09-13-2007, 01:27 AM
My daughter (8 yrs. old) and I went to Captain Kidd's and it was horrible! The food and service were really bad! We both agreed to never go there again!
We had just gotten back from eating buffets at Laughlin,NV (yummy) so we thought we might be too harsh but naw this place is the worst!

disneyfn
09-13-2007, 07:25 AM
Guess pirates should stick to swordfighting and stay out of the kitchen:p

MrsPooh
09-13-2007, 08:26 AM
We had just gotten back from eating buffets at Laughlin,NV (yummy) so we thought we might be too harsh but naw this place is the worst!

We wondered if we were biased, as we live in Reno and have all the buffets we want.

But even leaving the food aside for a moment, the service was atrocious. We had to find someone to get silverware, then again to get drinks, and the check.

If I weren't an honest person, we would've left without paying. If I have to force you to give me a check, you should be stuck with a few skip outs. That would fix the problem.

disneyperson
09-13-2007, 02:03 PM
It's a horrible restaurant. The food is nasty, the prices are high, the service sucks, and the place is just plain dirty.

disneynut
09-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Z
lol! The sad thing is....that's no exaggeration!

backsthepack
09-14-2007, 04:58 AM
We ate there once because my little boy thought it would be "Pirate like". It was the worst meal we have ever had on vacation...or not on vacation for that matter. What a waste of time and money. Never, ever again!!

Klutch
09-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Wow. I don't think I've ever heard about a restaurant which was so universally loathed. :p

I've heard for many years that Captain Kid's was El Stinko, but I've never seen it all summed up quite so humorously. Obviously, if that place wasn't across the street from Disneyland, it would have went belly-up long ago. Talk about a tourist trap.

Pat-n-Eil
09-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Is this the place that used to be called Mom's?

disneyperson
09-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Is this the place that used to be called Mom's?
Yes. It was bad then too from all reports. We got suckered into trying it when the name change happened. We thought, new name, new management, it had to better. Right? Wrong.
Watch . pretty soon they'll change the name again and sucker folk into trying it again.
They keep in business by virtue of the location and one tme only customers.

Lani
09-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Friends don't let friends eat at Captain Kidd's.

Once, Tony's relatives were in town (I think it was Tony) and he mentioned that they were eating there. Alex and I were aghast! But apparently his relatives insisted they wanted to eat there. /headdesk

We ate there once for breakfast. The problem is, all of the food is under a heat lamp that is colored red, so ALL the food looks red and you can't tell what they are.

It's kind of amazing how really bad the food was. Considering its great location, you'd think they could do something pretty reasonable.

Heck, the free breakfast bar at the Candy Cane Inn was greater than CK.