PDA

View Full Version : CA authorities increase security after Spanish arrests - SF Chron, 7/16/02

Lani
07-16-2002, 10:11 PM
California authorities significantly increase security after Spanish arrests (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2002/07/16/national1629EDT0769.DTL) - San Francisco Chronicle, 7/16/02

State officials alerted police near the Golden Gate Bridge, Disneyland, and Universal Studios on Tuesday after authorities in Spain seized videos of the sites from suspected al-Qaida terrorists. The video footage was shot during a 1997 tour of the U.S. by three men arrested in Spain on Tuesday.

The images were not the form and type usually taken by tourists, Spain's interior ministry said. Other videos showed Islamic fighters training in camps and during combat scenes in Chechnya, the statement said.

Cinemascribe
07-16-2002, 10:25 PM
I saw this on the news. Very scary.

Uncle Dick
07-16-2002, 10:30 PM
I was wondering why a KCAL helicopter was hovering over Disneyland late this afternoon. I guess they needed some updated "stock footage" of the park. The stock footage I saw on another television newscast still showed the PeopleMover!

Gemini Cricket
07-17-2002, 05:49 AM
Maybe this explains why Sleeping Beauty's Castle has been closed for so long...?
:confused:

MonorailMan
07-17-2002, 06:25 AM
While it is scary, I say, Don't make it ruin your fun. :)

LPnerd
07-17-2002, 07:18 AM
This whole terror buis. is awful. I will not have it stand in the way of my everyday life! We plan a trip in Sept. and you can bet we will be there.
I just don't think we , as a people, can expect the police or gov. to be able to stop it all. I think we need to be aware of our surroundings at all times. It's upto us as as americans to keep each other safe . And so far... from what I can see, we're doing just fine!!!!!

BJW
07-17-2002, 08:03 AM
Does anyone know if Disneyland is increasing security or being more careful with bagchecks because of this? Are these vidoes a new development or do they just confirm what was already known about potential threats?

justagrrl
07-17-2002, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by LPnerd
I will not have it stand in the way of my everyday life!

What I worry about is will it get to that point? You see the suicide bombers and all...I just hope that never starts happening in the U.S.

disguy
07-17-2002, 08:11 AM
This is why I think it's so important that Disneyland gets metal detectors. It really bothers me they don't have them yet. I've also seen the way the look through bags if you could even call it looking. All they do is glance.

LPnerd
07-17-2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by disguy
This is why I think it's so important that Disneyland gets metal detectors. It really bothers me they don't have them yet. I've also seen the way the look through bags if you could even call it looking. All they do is glance.

I find this surprising . They are pretty careful at WDW. Checking all bags , purese, even fanny packs. If they can't see
they ask you to take things out. Very nice but very firm.Maybe because we had a couple things happen here in Fl. it has made them more security aware???????

MouseWife
07-17-2002, 08:24 AM
A question.

Has anyone ever seen something that they thought they should call and report?

I always hear about moving vans and things like that. Now, I always wonder when I see them.

Just curious. Still on topic?

dizneelover
07-17-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
I was wondering why a KCAL helicopter was hovering over Disneyland late this afternoon. I guess they needed some updated "stock footage" of the park. The stock footage I saw on another television newscast still showed the PeopleMover!

Peoplemover?? Where do you live?? I'll move there! I wish I had that footage, NBC just had "new" Tomorrowland Footage :mad:

LPnerd
07-17-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by MouseWife
A question.

Has anyone ever seen something that they thought they should call and report?

I always hear about moving vans and things like that. Now, I always wonder when I see them.

Just curious. Still on topic?

I know what you mean. I volunteer for the red cross
and they stress ANY unattended anything. Also, single middle eastern men doing anything suspetious( sp ) ?. I know...profiling , and I'm sorry . But it's not middle class white anglo saxon that r bombing the country. At least not this week.