PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Inn at the Park

roberts1398
07-16-2002, 03:47 PM
Looking for some input from anyone who has stayed at the Holiday Inn at the Park (1221 S. Harbor, I think, at Ball, other side of I-5)

I've heard nothing but good things about this hotel until yesterday when I saw a posting re: it being incredibly noisy from the freeway. Anyone have any input? I'm about to book my trip, and really don't want to spend 4 nights in a hotel where I'm awakened all night by freeway sounds...

HELP! My alternative is the Candy Cane Inn, which I'd love, but my 7 yr old wouldn't have as much fun at (HI has I understand great pool and room service). :confused:

tabacco
07-16-2002, 04:17 PM
It's fine. I've stayed on both sides of the building, facing the park and Harbor, and I've never noticed ANY noise problems either way. Besides, if you have an I5 view you can get a great view of Believe, and spy on offices in TDA :)

roberts1398
07-17-2002, 08:19 AM
Thanks. :D That puts my mind at ease! Can you also tell me if there are any fast food or family type restaurants within a couple of blocks?

Is the pool as good as I've heard (for a child, that is!)?

Thanks for taking the time to answer! It's been making me terribly worried the past few days!

tabacco
07-17-2002, 11:58 AM
They do have a pretty neat pool area :)

There are a bunch of restaurants in the general resort area (Harbor and Katella mainly), and actually the hotel's is decent as well.

StuDeedooo
07-17-2002, 12:41 PM
The pool is great for kids! Not deep at all. Thats where we stayed over the 4th. Sit in the pool area and watch the fireworks if the kids wear you out (or vice-versa).

They have good bands there too. The Tuesday night gang is a big band\jazz type foursome. Ask them to play "Always" for me and report back! They were done by the time I got a chance to talk to them so I didnt hear them play it. :crying:

Anyway, they have a restraunt right there and the ART picks up there - its the last stop on that route before MK. We'll be staying there next time. It cost the same as the worst western in Valencia and miles above it!

roberts1398
07-17-2002, 01:00 PM
And Stu... do you agree it isn't too noisy? How were the beds? Can you tell I'm nervous about my choices???

Plus, I think I already said, I'm taking my soon-to-be 7 yr old son there for his b-day present. His 1st trip. And I want it to be soooooo special! He is a pool fanatic, and I really wanted to stay at the DLR for the use of the Never Land Pool, but could not afford it this year.

Actually, with the Fall Getaway special, I'm staying at this place for 4 nights for $200 less than 2 nights at DLH, including the Disney Meal Plan. So, who could resist the longer stay...

StuDeedooo
07-17-2002, 01:55 PM
Rooms are great, beds good. Easy to over sleep! We were on the third floor near the service elevator and it was really quiet.

Also, there is a Taco Bell not far from there (short walk) and the pizza guys deliver late. We got 2 pizzas, salad and a bunch of other stuff on special for 30 bucks.

Not to take cash away from DL, lol, but take an ice chest and hit a grocery store on the way to the hotel. $50 at Safeway will get you 3 days breakfast, lunch, light dinner and snacks for the price of one meal at the park if you do it right.

downside is that there are no microwaves in the room so we did deli sandwiches. I suppose you could always bbq in the parking lot! HAAAAA!. Oh and the hotel does do a pool-side bbq too.

StuDeedooo
07-17-2002, 01:57 PM
forgot to add that you can always hit IHOP accross from the DL entrance (great service!) and then jump on ART to get back to the hotel!

roberts1398
07-17-2002, 02:10 PM
I heard THAT IHOP was about as expensive as inside the park! Did you ever try, oh what is it, Mimi's or something like that? I hear it's right around there and cheap and good.

How was the hotel's restaurant, and prices? What's the deal with the poolside BBQ? Is it nightly, just on weekends, etc.? Is it "free" or does it cost (and if so, how much, if you remember...)?

How long ago did you stay there (off-season or on)?

I thought since I have a collapsible cooler, I could take it on the plane, and then since we plan to get to DL at opening, get one of the lockers outside. I really want to eat the food in DL (in fact we're buying the Disney Meal Plan with our package), but I figure for bottled waters alone, that would be a big savings ($2.75 for a normal sized bottle when I was there in May). Leave them there, and then periodically, take the train back to Main St., put a few more in the backpack and then off again. Where is the closest grocery store, if you remember? I'm flying, and won't have a rental car, so we'll be either hoofing it or taking a cab.

Any suggestions on things to avoid or definitely do (in connection with the hotel, or any generic suggestions)???

Thank you SO much for this info. Can't tell I'm excited or anything, can ya????

:D

LibraryGirl
07-17-2002, 02:28 PM
I recall travelling east on Katella and there was a shopping center with a Safeway (?) there. There were banks on the way there, so if you do your banking at a big chain bank you can use the ATM there without the crazy fees. Just make the trip once to the grocery store and all should be fine. Besides, whatever you don't use at DL you can always drink on the plane.

I am excited for your trip to Disneyland. I am ALWAYS excited about going there and am trying to get my friends to make an impromptu trip there after my birthday in August!! :cool:

Bill Catherall
07-17-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by roberts1398
but I figure for bottled waters alone, that would be a big savings ($2.75 for a normal sized bottle when I was there in May). Leave them there, and then periodically, take the train back to Main St., put a few more in the backpack and then off again.
Water bottles are refillable at any drinking fountain throughout the park. ;)

StuDeedooo
07-17-2002, 02:56 PM
IHOP & Mimi's

Didnt go to Mimis, but they always had a crowd when we went by. Hit IHOP at about 4 or so before the dinner crowd and you get right in! prices are typical IHOP. And Ive been to a few that make that place look like the 33 Club so take my word on it, lol.

the poolside BBQ & Coffee Shop

Every night and not free, but 5 bucks or so for a burger (less for a dog), chips and a soda (thats pop for you mid westerners, lmao) and they cremate it while you wait, its not pre-cooked. The coffee shop smelled good, but we didnt use it, not sure on prices. We pretty much re-stocked on beer at the Shell station, lol...

How long ago ?

4th Of July, a couple of weeks ago.....

collapsible cooler

That works, also you could get a styrofoam cooler to keep in the room and toss it when you leave....

the closest grocery store, won't have a rental car...

Not sure on the store location, the players that are on here locally have that info, we went to a place in Valencia on the way out of town and still had stock at DL. Remember, use Amahiem Resort Transit, its cheap ($2 a day) and can get you close to where ever you need to go.

Any suggestions on things to avoid or definitely do (in connection with the hotel, or any generic suggestions)???

The pool is open 24x7 I believe, so no worries there. No car, so thats a non-issue on parking.

All sorts of little tricks for hitting lines when they are short, but if you want em, email me, hehehe.... Its classified information....

The most important thing is to wear sunglasses when you enter the place. Dont let anyone see your eyes welling up!

Most of all, have a good time, relax and take it all in. oh and be patient with the little guy, he's only 7 and some rides might be too intense. This is the voice of experience! Queue freakouts can happen any time, so dont wig if you spend 40 minutes in line and cant get him on the ride....

Take lots of pictures too...

slaakker
07-17-2002, 08:03 PM
I haven't stayed at the Holiday Inn (at least I don't remember) but I can say this, the Candy Cane Inn is my favorite hotel at DL. They have a nice full size pool, jacuzzi, and a kiddie pool. The rooms are very cozy. The complimentary breakfast buffet is the best one I have experienced at any of the neighboring hotels.

I have stayed at many over the years and I keep returning to this one.

Have fun!

roberts1398
07-18-2002, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the info, Slaaker! I wanted to stay there badly (as I have literally never found a single bad review of the Candy Cane), but it turns out they aren't participating in the stay 3 nights get 1 free promotion, so I'm going with the Holiday Inn. Hope I like it as much as you like the Candy Cane, and hope I get the chance to stay at the Candy Cane myself in the future!

cryan71
07-18-2002, 04:00 PM
If you are going to stay at the Holiday Inn, be sure to get a Holiday Inn Priority Club card - at this holiday you will get some breakfast comps, a drink coupon, close to the entrance parking and potentially an upgrade to a suite if its available.

I've stayed at this one and had no problems with noise. They have a soundwall between the freeway and the hotel. Also, you can watch the fireworks from your balcony with a perfect view of the backstage area where they shoot them off(sans music of course).

I found the restaraunt quite good.

roberts1398
07-19-2002, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the info Cryan... actually, when I first started surfing for DL packages/rates, I filled out the onlin ap's for all of the hotel chains I could think of! Figured it couldn't hurt! And Holiday Inn (Six Continent Hotels, thank you!!! lol) was one of them. Hasn't arrived yet.

So you stayed on the "city" or "parking" side, not the pool side of the rooms? I don't suppose you think there'd be any view of DL from one of the upper stories, do you? Trying to decide which to request... I think there'll only be fireworks at best Fri-Sun (& maybe Fri/Sat, or worse just Sat like Fantasmic), and we'll probably be at the park anyway. So if there's no DL view, I think I'd rather go for the pool view...

Thanks for pointing out about the card... I'm going the last weekend in Sept, when visitors should be just about at the minimum, so maybe I'll get lucky with a suite... Oooooooooh!

Can't Wait! :D

cryan71
07-19-2002, 06:45 PM
I stayed pool side and yes at the upper floors you can see inside the park. At least the backstage areas.

roberts1398
07-20-2002, 06:19 AM
Thanks. Maybe I'll request a park-view room then, assuming I can get the 4th or 5th floor. If not, I'll stick to the pool!

Thank you so much for your help. This trip means sooooo much to me!