PDA

View Full Version : DCA into DAA - DisneyAmericanAdventure

hefferdude
07-16-2002, 11:31 AM
Just finished AL's recent column on DCA. ( ouch!:eek: )
I must admit, it does cut close to the bone.

Now, hopefully I'm not repeating an earlier post;

If DCA were to become DisneyAmericanAdventure,
what attraction/ride/show would you create for the
park? Also, should it be limited to D-USA to avoid
creating or appearing to mimic a WDW WorldShowcase?
( And please - this is not intended or inferred to be
ethnocentric in any way ) :)

Gemini Cricket
07-16-2002, 11:42 AM
The American Adventure show in Epcot is pretty neat. I think they should incorporate that show if there was a DAA.

They should do a section dedicated to the Native American.

They should do something with the folklore legends of America: Johnny Appleseed, Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill etc.

A civil war section.

A dark ride representing all 50 states in some way. Each area could be themed with artifacts or donated goods from that state.

Fun stuff: like the LA Traffic Cafe. It's designed to look like the Sci Fi Diner in MGM Florida, except you're sitting in parked cars in traffic.

Legends of American literature. A dark ride where you experience famous scenes from famous American Novels. ("Gone with the Wind", "Huck Finn", Steinbeck stuff...) I dunno.

Just a couple of ideas...

hefferdude
07-16-2002, 01:17 PM
Legends of American literature. A dark ride where you experience famous scenes from famous American Novels. ("Gone with the Wind", "Huck Finn", Steinbeck stuff...) I dunno.

...and an attraction on early pulp science fiction?:cool:

A dark ride representing all 50 states in some way. Each area could be themed with artifacts or donated goods from that state.

A State Showcase around the lagoon like WDW-WSC?
A nighttime show like the WDW show but with a seperate
effect and melody from each state as a musical medly along
the lines of all the melodies interweaving in the music of DELP? :)

cemeinke
07-16-2002, 05:37 PM
I may take some heat on this, but personnaly I think an "America" themed aprk is about as lame as a "California" themed park. In fact it may even be more problematic as historians and patriots of all flavors bicker about how anything is presented the subject matter being too sacred or unPC to touch. Isn't that what killed the orignal park idea?

I agree with what SweenyTodd said on another post, just about anything you could do with America you could do with California, if you but spend the money to do it right. On the other hand, I'd rather see both ideas scrapped. I mean who needs a reality based theme park?

Afterall, at Disneyland proper, there is no single unifying theme, except for the Disney name and the imagination behind it. The themes are to be found in the Lands that reflect the entertainment genres off the time, Westerns, Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Adventure. I'd like to see themes that are as unrestrictive as those and set the imagination loose. Create Lands that can house a bookcase worth of stories and you'll have a winner of a park.

Alex S.
07-16-2002, 05:45 PM
And remember that the Mouse got its whiskers singed the last time they brought up the possibility of an "America" themed park.

hefferdude
07-16-2002, 07:55 PM
In fact it may even be more problematic as historians and patriots of all flavors bicker about how anything is presented the subject matter being too sacred or unPC to touch. Isn't that what killed the orignal park idea?

Riposte and touche' ! Almost.
Actually - no heat. The unPC thing is a killer. Agreed.
Singed whiskers and all. I'm surmising it was about
trivializing important events in the US timeline.
But I would ask then - why is it WDW World Showcase
works and a US "state" based venue would not?
Couldn't each state have its own 'myth' or legend that
in a themed park venue we could have fun with?

Example: New Jersey - George Washington slept here
and here - and here -....!:D

DJ_MENTOS
07-16-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket

Fun stuff: like the LA Traffic Cafe. It's designed to look like the Sci Fi Diner in MGM Florida, except you're sitting in parked cars in traffic.

I think this is a great idea for right now. It fits in with the whole DCA theme.
-DJ_MENTOS

Crispy
07-16-2002, 10:51 PM
"The American Adventure show in Epcot is pretty neat. I think they should incorporate that show if there was a DAA."

The Golden Dreams attraction (is that the name of it?) with the Whoopi head at DCA was originally designed by imagineers to be like the American Adventures attraction at EPCOT, except with the focus on California history instead of American history. However, that concept was scaled down to the movie attraction that is in place now. What a shame, too. The American Adventure is a pretty neat attraction. It must have seemed absolutely amazing when it opened back in 82 ! It's still an amazing attraction today.

Cris