PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic - early campout

Jasmine
07-16-2002, 09:36 AM
Three Fantasmic Questions -- (1) Can anybody tell me how far in advance Disneyland allows guests to stake out a spot on the Rivers of America for the 9:00 PM Fantasmic show? I have 2 small children and do not want to wait for the 10:30 PM show and the Balcony seating is a luxury beyond our budget. (2) If we stake a spot out early, any advice on how not to get trampled on by other guests while we are waiting? (3) Any suggestions of where to sit for the best viewing + access to restrooms, etc. without having to step over everyone else behind me? All suggestions for this Fantasmic novice are welcomed. :p

disguy
07-16-2002, 09:44 AM
When it first opened I camped out for a good 2hours before it started. we got front row seats. I have to say I don't think they are the best. first of all your sitting down and your view is a gate plus, when the mist screens come up you tend to get a little bit wet especially if you wear glasses which I was at that time. I would prefer to sit at the upper level you normally see people camp out maybe an hour before or so. We actually showed up 10 min before the first show on last Friday night and got a great viewing site. Just be sure your in the middle of the river.

Rallymonkey23
07-16-2002, 11:57 AM
I found out that the best spot to sit is center stage, over the manhole cover. When you need to use the restrooms you will not have to trample over everyone and you have an excellent view of the show. I found this out a couple of weeks ago when NA, Cemeinke, Stan4d_Steph, GD, Zapppop and CP had a meet there. Hope this helps!:)

stan4d_steph
07-16-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
I found out that the best spot to sit is center stage, over the manhole cover. When you need to use the restrooms you will not have to trample over everyone and you have an excellent view of the show. I found this out a couple of weeks ago when NA, Cemeinke, Stan4d_Steph, GD, Zapppop and CP had a meet there. Hope this helps!:)

Another advantage of this spot is that it is back away from the water's edge. We have gotten there at about 6 or so and they won't chase you away if you put down a blanket. And as RM23 said, if you place your blanket here, you will be right up against the rope they put up for the walkway so it is easy access to get in and out once the ropes go up. This may be especially helpful if you have little ones who might get restless. Just look for the manhole cover in front of the sound mixing board, or whatever it is, which is in front of the middle light tower (Tower B). Then make sure your blanket is on the water side of any holes where the rope posts go in (if the ropes aren't up when you get there) and you'll be all set. Have fun!

Jasmine
07-17-2002, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions ... from your posts, I assume that finding this manhole cover in the center area won't be too difficult. The ease of getting in or out is very important, especially because I have children. I am also assuming that sitting in this area is better than sitting up against the iron railing in the very front? Are the sightlines good this far back from the River and would small children be able to see above any heads in front of them? Would laying my blanket at 7:00-7:30 PM be sufficient? All suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Rallymonkey23
07-17-2002, 11:47 PM
I'm not exactly sure about the time..... Somewhere around 6 should be just about right. We saw people waiting as early as 5:30 today. And to answer your question about your small children seeing over peoples heads.... Thats another plus to sitting there, they can just stand up if they need to. Hope you have a great time!

Kevin Yee
07-18-2002, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
I found out that the best spot to sit is center stage, over the manhole cover. When you need to use the restrooms you will not have to trample over everyone

You *pee* into the manhole then? :)

(sorry, just had to ask...)

The original poster asked when DL allowed you to start camping. The answer is when the park opens. You are more than welcome to spend 12 hours camping out, if you feel like it. It won't be necessary, though. Three hours is more than enough time.

Rallymonkey23
07-18-2002, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Kevin Yee

You *pee* into the manhole then? :)

(sorry, just had to ask...)

The original poster asked when DL allowed you to start camping. The answer is when the park opens. You are more than welcome to spend 12 hours camping out, if you feel like it. It won't be necessary, though. Three hours is more than enough time.

LOL!! I bet in some way, shape or form you could turn this manhole into a puzzle at the next MA....:D

Disneyfan&mom
07-18-2002, 04:27 AM
So, you're saying you need to camp out with a spot for 3 hours to get a decent view of the early showing of Fantasmic? Yikes...I can't see my kids being patient enough for that:-(

leota's necklace
07-18-2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Disneyfan&mom
So, you're saying you need to camp out with a spot for 3 hours to get a decent view of the early showing of Fantasmic? Yikes...I can't see my kids being patient enough for that:-(

If it's a busy day at the Park, you can have a several-hour wait ahead of you for the prime seats. I found the show itself was not really worth three hours on my butt on the pavement, especially when the people who started filling in around us started getting pushy and rude. We were also treated to a mother-daughter team who, when they got bored, decided to squeeze each other's pimples...right in front of us. By the time the Show started we were packed in like sardines; had been stepped on, kicked, and shoved; and saw some gruesome displays of human behavior.

Keep in mind, this was a June crowd, so if you're going later in the season you may not have this experience. But you might want to take your chances with finding a last-minute seat (you can still find good ones, they're just not front and center), especially if you don't know if your kids will even like the show. It's spectacular and creative, but it might not be their cup of tea. Save the hardcore camping for a possible later trip when you know they'll want to be there.

roberts1398
07-18-2002, 08:58 AM
>>Keep in mind, this was a June crowd, so if you're going later in the season you may not have this experience. <<

I dunno about this! Since they're going down to 1 night a week, I'm guessing the Sat. Fantasmics in late Sept/October may be even more crowded than when it was 7 days a week, spreading it out more!

This whole discussion makes me edgy. I've never seen this show and am dying to. My 7 yr old son would ADORE it, I'm sure. I wanted to do the special seating/dessert buffet, but just can't justify the cost in our tight budget (hey, that's almost 2 days food for the two of us, even at DLR prices!). And I know there's NO WAY he will sit/stand to save a spot for 3 hours (there's only the two of us going). So that means braving the crowds. I'm hoping to get him back for a nap during the afternoon, and then try for the late show. Here's hoping it's a good strategy!

greinstein
07-18-2002, 02:06 PM
While seeing Fantasmic front & center is great, with children a 2-3 hour wait is basicly out of the question.

On all but the bussiest days there is always up close viewing at the Haunted Mansion end of the River area 30 minutes before show time. There is a screen right in front of you for the projections, and you get to follow the Columbia/Pirate ship and Mark Twain as they make a long approach and cruise by. Also, you do not feel like a sardine--less crowd.

There are some negatives to this area:
-It is a standing, not seated area. (but a 3 hour wait vs. 30 minute stand for the show)
-Really can't see the fireworks 10 minutes later from there--need to leave & walk toward Priates at show end
-You see the stage from the side vs. the front. Only real drawback is you can't see the Pinocchio puppets for their 20 second routine--no loss in my mind

As one with young ones, I would not try to have them wait for 3 hours, no matter how good Fantasmic is. Their & your memories will be just as good from this viewing area.--Trust me their is nothing to compare with a the look of a young child seeing Peter Pan & Hook cavorting on a full size Pirate ship, etc. as opposed to a bored and whiney one who is forced to wait .

Hope this helps

roberts1398
07-18-2002, 02:17 PM
Thank you SOOOOOO much! That helps a bunch! I will definitely keep HM in mind! I still plan to do the later show (cuz it may be the only firewords night as well), but knowing that even if that one's busy too the HM option is there, it'll let me relax! Thanks again!

Jasmine
07-19-2002, 12:13 PM
I also want to add my thanks to all. We are going TONIGHT (Friday) and will see what area we can find 1-2 hours before the 9:00 PM show. I do not expect that we'll find a front & center spot but yet I am not willing to camp 3+ hours with 2 small children either. Thanks Kevin for clarifying the Disney policy as well. I guess I should have asked "how far before showtime do the Castmembers begin to rope off the area?"

roberts1398
07-19-2002, 01:06 PM
Jasmine - if you're still on, please report back on any suggestions about good locations with kids!

Thanks, Diane

Jasmine
07-22-2002, 11:54 AM
We did it! Arrived at the Rivers of America (ROA) around 7:15 PM last Friday evening. The areas fronting the ROA were already roped off and thronged with campers waiting for the 9:00 PM show. Since the vast majority of the guests were sitting on makeshift seats (park maps, jackets, etc.), we saw plenty of pavement pockets open where the 3 of us could easily park our rear ends and we did just that. However, by 8:00 PM, even the pockets were filled. If you want to "stake" your claim, bring a bedsheet (light and compact to fold in a backpack) and mark your claim. This way, you can rotate having one person from your group wait, while the rest of your party can eat or play for a little bit. We also brought along stadium seat cushions with back supports ... highly recommended if you can do so. Our spot was one row of families behind the iron railing, to the right of the middle section ... good sightline for both Fantasmic and the Believe fireworks afterwards. We spent the time munching on snacks and playing with a deck of cards. We saw the 9:00 PM show, the 9:30 Believe fireworks and my kids decided they wanted to wait for the 10:30 PM show. Surprisingly, even the 10:30 PM show was packed. By the time we left, we had sat on the hard pavement for nearly 4 hours ... not recommended esp. if you have a bad back. What you get in return? Great views, a magical show and a wonderful opportunity to build another family memory with my children.

Rallymonkey23
07-22-2002, 10:57 PM
Good to see you had a great time! I was walking in NOS and was wondering where you were. Not that I remembered your name or anything. ( I am the worst with names:) )

Jasmine
07-23-2002, 11:24 AM
Dear RalleyMonkey23 - Had I known someone was going to look for us, I would have worn my Pluto hat to be easily noticed! I'll do that next time we camp out in the future.

Techie7
07-23-2002, 01:09 PM
When a group camped out for opening night (reopening) Stand4dSteph brought a "Neat Sheet". You see it's this blue sheet and it's neat hence the name. Anyways it is water and sand resistant and is bright in color. Just a shameless plug for our Fantasmic Product of the Week!