PDA

View Full Version : Bugg'in On Them Stroller Steal'in Tram Trolls!

Pages : [1] 2

ladodgerjon
09-04-2007, 04:02 PM
I just had a GREAT mid-week trip to the DLR. A rare treat, as I find it nearly impossible to visit the park on a weekday due to work. My visit last Thursday found no major attraction (except for Nemo) with a wait longer than 10 or 15 minutes! Pure joy-- except for one complaint...

I am constantly confounded by the (non kid tote-ing) folks that jump into the first or last cars of the parking lot trams AHEAD of people pushing strollers THAT NEED THE SPACE.

I'm not talking about people that were in the front of the line-- but, rather, folks that were -- one minute -- standing alongside you (that should be filling seats in the rows ahead or behind you) that, suddenly, at the last second, decided the wide aisles of the front or rear car looked more appealing.

Is there anything more grating to a parent than to patiently wait for the "stroller trams" and then have some doofus swerve in front of you and grab your much needed stroller space?!?

IMHO, the DLR parking lot gang could alleviate this problem by affixing signs on the first and last trams with wording along the lines of, "Priority seating to impaired riders or stroller parking."

Not all of us can break-down our strollers (maybe because they are stuffed with bottles, diapers, formula, clothes, blankets... and any number of souvenirs, etc.)... and these two tram cars are all we got!

Leofoenget
09-04-2007, 04:14 PM
I usually just cram right alongside said person with a "Sorry this is the only place I can park my stroller" SHOVE> I'm a brat I just make people move it

Shootingstaar
09-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Omg! This happened to us when we went on a friday and I have never had such a bad experience riding the tram! We were leaving the park and they had our line actually baricaded so that the non-stroller people were in a semi-separate line than the people with strollers. The stroller line did not move at all for 10 minutes because the people in the front weren't pushy enough to get in front of the others. Stroller people were starting to get loud and someone actually went and got a different employee (manager?) and he came and stood by the line but did not do anything. When we finally got to the front and were waiting for the next tram, we heard a girl in the other non-stroller line tell her boyfriend "make sure you get in front of them". They tried to get in the stroller row but we pushed our way in front of them and there was no one in the row behind where they belonged anyway! I don't know why they felt it was so important to get in the stroller row when the entire tram was still empty :mad:! And after all that we were still the only people in that row with strollers (3 adults and 1 toddler), the rest of the row filled up with "non-stroller" people :rolleyes:

ladodgerjon
09-04-2007, 05:01 PM
It kills me when I see that row empty of strollers-- and stranded parents (with strollers) waiting to get on a tram... and no parking lot crew attempting to help. You should be able to squeeze at least THREE strollers in those rows.

I have now taken to becoming VOCAL and will say in a loud (but pleasant) voice, "Hey, folks-- this row is reserved for wheelchairs, walkers or strollers. You're gonna have to move to another row so all these families can (go home/ get to the park)."

On one occasion, some guy said to me, "Guess I jumped in here faster than you did, buddy." I looked at him and said, "That's not difficult seeing that I'm working as a single parent right now with a toddler AND a stroller. So I KNOW you'll kindly move-- since you can sit anywhere as a single and I've only got this place to sit."

He didn't budge (can you imagine?!?)... so I went to the microphone guy on the back of the tram, and asked him to sort out the situation. He did. Begrudgingly.

cstephens
09-04-2007, 05:16 PM
I have now taken to becoming VOCAL and will say in a loud (but pleasant) voice, "Hey, folks-- this row is reserved for wheelchairs, walkers or strollers. You're gonna have to move to another row so all these families can (go home/ get to the park)."

But except for people in wheelchairs and walkers who get on the tram at the designated location, you'd be wrong. While it's a courtesy to let people who need more space use those rows, it's NOT "reserved".

It also doesn't help that the trams don't stop in the same place all the time. Sometimes, they're so far off their mark that while I'm technically in line for about the third row, they've stopped the tram so that the first row is directly in front of me. In that case, I'll generally get on to whatever row is in front of me because I know I have no chance of getting into the row I expected to be in since others have filled that row. That also screws the people who were going to be in the first and second rows, and I get that - that's why I usually don't wait in those rows, and yes, I've been one of the people screwed when I've lined up in the first or last row and the tram is completely stopped in the wrong place.

adriennek
09-04-2007, 06:37 PM
But except for people in wheelchairs and walkers who get on the tram at the designated location, you'd be wrong. While it's a courtesy to let people who need more space use those rows, it's NOT "reserved".

I'll disagree with you on one technicality - when they have a separate space marked off with a metal portable fence, to separate the stroller line from the people line, then, yes, it IS designated for stroller use.

If it's a free for all - then, no, there's no designation. But with the "stroller line" in place, then it's either a forced handicap (Good luck getting on, we've blocked your ability to defend the row from the pushers!) or it's a special designation.

And this is the primary reason I HATE THE TRAMS.

HATE. THEM.

Especially at night.

In the mornings, they'll have several CMs lined up to help people board the trams. Not at night. It's a free-for-all, every man, woman and child for themselves. People push. They shove. They cram many more than the 5-person per row limit onto those tram rows.

I'm shocked there aren't more injuries.

Did I mention I hate the tram?

We almost always walk back to the parking structure if we're at the park after dinner.

Blech.

Adrienne

cstephens
09-04-2007, 06:43 PM
I'll disagree with you on one technicality - when they have a separate space marked off with a metal portable fence, to separate the stroller line from the people line, then, yes, it IS designated for stroller use.

Yes, you're right. I had meant to mention those as well, but it slipped my mind. I actually think those are a good idea.

But then, the people who are going to push ahead of people with strollers are pushing past everyone else as well.

VickiC
09-04-2007, 07:16 PM
I don't understand why they don't reuqire that strollers be folded on the tram. My folded Peg Perego full sized stroller fit in a regulr tram row.

yohomama212
09-04-2007, 07:55 PM
I've given up getting on the tram with the stroller if we're there after the fireworks. I've had so many bad experiences with all kinds of guests. It's not a bad walk to Mickey & Friends from the park and since I've been walking most of the evening... what's another 1/2 mile? Congratulations to anyone who can fold up their special little stroller and hop into a "normal" row. My Sit 'n Stand doesn't get flat enough for that. (Though for the record, the announcement as you board the tram says that strollers should be folded down. I've never encountered a CM who actually enforced that.)

Elizabeth

adriennek
09-04-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't understand why they don't reuqire that strollers be folded on the tram. My folded Peg Perego full sized stroller fit in a regulr tram row.

Mine did, too.

But. At the end of the day, people have piled their strollers with stuff. I think it would be worse if they required people to fold them up because then you'd have people trying to unload their strollers in that huge crowd by the tram, holding up the line and making tempers even worse.

If a family can fold up their stroller "easily" enough, then they wouldn't have to wait for the bigger rows and it would be to their advantage to do so and get a smaller row. But I don't think they should be required.

I don't understand why they have CMs that monitor all of the tram cars in the morning but they don't have CMs monitoring the crowds at the end of the day. There's definitely a difference in behavior between the crowds. A little crowd control would go a long way.

Adrienne

evrythngwmn
09-05-2007, 09:38 AM
I don't understand why they have CMs that monitor all of the tram cars in the morning but they don't have CMs monitoring the crowds at the end of the day. There's definitely a difference in behavior between the crowds. A little crowd control would go a long way.

Adrienne

Here are my theories:

1) They want you to be happy when you get to the park. At night you are leaving and they've kind of gotten everything they need from you (ie money).

2) Day shift is the primo shift and no one really wants the closing shifts, ie more call outs.

Those are just my thoughts.

I wish they would assign rows/group like they do with the attractions.

cstephens
09-05-2007, 10:28 AM
I wish they would assign rows/group like they do with the attractions.

That would be fairly easy to do - they put metal lane dividers in the waiting area like they do at WDW. No confusion about which lane you're getting in. But then, the drivers all have to stop their trams in the right place for that to work.

And while we're venting about the trams, how about the people who want to wait on the sides and be able to lean on the railings and then get mad that I'm "cutting in front of them" because I'm going to stand in the middle? Ummm, yeah, you were here first, but you either get the benefit of leaning or being closer to the front. It's not a single file line.

Boo's Mommy
09-05-2007, 11:37 AM
(Though for the record, the announcement as you board the tram says that strollers should be folded down. I've never encountered a CM who actually enforced that.)

Elizabeth

Actually every single time we used the tram (this was in 2005 through early 2006) the CM's always made us fold up our double stroller, even when we were the only ones with a stroller. The first trip, we took too long to get everything out in order to fold the stroller, the tram left us behind. After that, we always tried to be "ready" during other tram rides. This was in the morning and in the afternoon trams. And that was SUCH a pain in the butt to do because one of use would have to hold two young toddlers and some bags while the other held the folded stroller and all the rest of the stuff. It was rather difficult getting in and out of the tram.

But since we've moved further away, every trip to DL now requires a hotel stay and we can avoid the tram dilemma!

adriennek
09-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Actually every single time we used the tram (this was in 2005 through early 2006) the CM's always made us fold up our double stroller, even when we were the only ones with a stroller.

That sounds really unusual to me. The front and back tram cars have extra large space in the front rows. The first car is for wheelchair access. When this is not needed for wheelchairs, or when there's still space, they allow unfolded strollers to use that space. (I've been on it with my friend in her wheelchair and the people in the stroller line gave us some NASTY looks when we pulled up already in THEIR space. HA HA.)

But I've been taking unfolded strollers on the trams for years.

And, heck, at night, there's no one there who will tell you ANYTHING. :rolleyes:

Adrienne

Boo's Mommy
09-05-2007, 12:10 PM
If it's unusual and not in a positive way, it'll happen to us! HA and not just once!

adriennek
09-05-2007, 12:24 PM
If it's unusual and not in a positive way, it'll happen to us! HA and not just once!

BTW, I hope it didn't sound like I was disbelieving you - I was merely shaking my head and rolling my eyes. It amazes me how inconsistent "policies" can be at DLR.

Adrienne

itig
09-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Did I mention I hate the tram?

I'm right there with you. We have actually stopped staying in the hotel we prefer, which is not within walking distance, so we don't have to go to the Mickey and Friends lot and be subjected to the tram. The entire tram experience is so very un-Disney and I just don't get it. It's your first and last impression of the place if you use the parking garage, so I don't know why they don't do a better job of helping and making it a nice (...tolerable?) experience.

I won't go into all of my tram stories, but being a family with 3 kids and a double stroller, you get the picture. I've had several "encounters" with less than pleasant guests and it feels like the entire tram-route is a lawless wasteland where anarchy reigns. OK, I'm exaggerating a bit...but just a bit :p

ladodgerjon
09-05-2007, 02:28 PM
While it's a courtesy to let people who need more space use those rows, it's NOT "reserved".

I know Adrienne already made note of the fact that drop-down railings are placed on the front and back of the first and last trams-- thereby making a "Statement" (of sorts) that these trams are prioritized for loading wheelchairs/walkers and strollers.

But here's my point: how many visitors are actively THINKING about this fact? Probably VERY FEW.

That's why Disney needs to add a sign atop the first and last trams stating that they are reserved for wheelchairs/ walkers & strollers. Simple fix. It would also be nice to have a CM casually reinforce the notion when they see stranded parents with their strollers in tow.

I WISH I could fold my peg perego and have it fit in a normal-sized row-- it's impossible (especially if it's loaded with bottles, diapers, blankets, jackets and/or souvenirs).

Have I mentioned how irregular the attempts are on the part of the CM's to aid single parents off the tram with their strollers? some CM's are GREAT-- and always there to lend a hand. (most) Others? Not so much...

adriennek
09-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Have I mentioned how irregular the attempts are on the part of the CM's to aid single parents off the tram with their strollers? some CM's are GREAT-- and always there to lend a hand. (most) Others? Not so much...

Yep.

For those of you who haven't tried it yet - the walk back from the tram area is not bad, IMO - almost pleasant even! You go behind DtD and under the monorail. My kids are quite used to it by now and I can't remember them whining too much about it. In fact, now they'll often suggest it first if THEY think the tram lines look too long to deal with.

Alternatively, you can walk through DtD, take a right between Rainforest and ESPN Zone and walk to the parking structure up the DtD driveway.

Frankly, I can use the extra exercise. ;) And it saves a lot of headaches.

Adrienne

lauras5boys
09-05-2007, 03:04 PM
We often do the walk, especially if the tram line is crowded. It is a very nice walk.

WE've been lucky, we've only had one bad experience on the tram in ll the times we've ever gone and it was from somebody else with a stroller who was trying to push their way in front of us from a different row. I have a huge Peg Peregp Tripplette that doesn't fold. You actually have to take the seats out seperately and then fold only the base. That's when we started doing the walk instaed of trying to load that thing on the tram.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-05-2007, 03:49 PM
I have never used the tram with a stroller but I think I might kindly say to these people
"Here, since you took the only available seating for families with strollers" while I am loading my stroller in between their legs, "You can be in charge of this until we arrive at the park, thanks." And go find myself a seat!

Another Dimension
09-05-2007, 03:58 PM
It annoys me greatly at times after paying a premium theme park price to visit the Resort parks... how inconsistent "policies" usually are at DLR... from CM to CM, from department to department, from attraction to attraction, from store to store... etc.

:rolleyes:

ladodgerjon
09-05-2007, 06:30 PM
It annoys me greatly at times after paying a premium theme park price to visit the Resort parks... how inconsistent "policies" usually are at DLR...

You are correct-- it 'aint cheap taking your kids to DL. And there are A LOT of kids attending the resort every singla day of the year.

If they can provide signage for "stroller parking" alongside an attraction, why not the same forthought on the trams. A bad "parking lot" experience can set the mood of the entire day.

Quite frankly, with as many kids in attendance, I am SHOCKED at how few trams are working that can accomodate strollers. At any given moment, only TWELVE strollers can be accomodated at the Simon lot-- a pittance of what are on the premises awaiting transport.

I bet a LOT of parents that breakdown their strollers to squeeze into a regualr sized row would prefer to not have to go through that exercise if they knew Disney was attaching another one or two "wide rows" on each tram.

PLEASE tell me DLR execs read this board and take the cue!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-05-2007, 08:18 PM
What about them possibly just adding a flat bed trailer type car to the back of the trams, that has 4 sides with a drop down on the end, for people to load strollers and then unload when arriving at the park or back at the parking garage? Although the way I have seen some of those tram drivers cruise through, might be some strollers falling out. LOL

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-05-2007, 08:24 PM
I know Adrienne already made note of the fact that drop-down railings are placed on the front and back of the first and last trams-- thereby making a "Statement" (of sorts) that these trams are prioritized for loading wheelchairs/walkers and strollers.

But here's my point: how many visitors are actively THINKING about this fact? Probably VERY FEW.

That's why Disney needs to add a sign atop the first and last trams stating that they are reserved for wheelchairs/ walkers & strollers. Simple fix. It would also be nice to have a CM casually reinforce the notion when they see stranded parents with their strollers in tow.

I WISH I could fold my peg perego and have it fit in a normal-sized row-- it's impossible (especially if it's loaded with bottles, diapers, blankets, jackets and/or souvenirs).

If nothing else, you as a guest could point out the signs that say that area is reserved, if there are NO CMs to do it.