PDA

View Full Version : Costumed Characters...

Jungle Cruise Wannabe
07-15-2002, 03:25 PM
Just wondering how I would go about getting a job as one of the costumed charactors at Disneyland? It seems like a great job, kinda getting paid to have fun, any advantages or disadvantages to the job? Thanks very much in advance. Also, what's the difference between CT CR and so on...

Gemini Cricket
07-15-2002, 03:52 PM
I have been told certain characters are cooler in temperature than others. Also, certain characters, like Eeyore, are cherished over others because kids don't attack Eeyore, they attack villains and happy characters like Tigger etc. (My CM friend has shown me her bruises on her legs from being Brer Fox and being pummelled by kiddie fists.)

From what I hear, you don't really get to pick who you are. You're hired based on height requirements and are scheduled to play certain characters. There's a long auditioning process that goes along with it too. Your height does not guarantee you a job or who you get to portray.

One tip: The auditions are lots of dancing and movement. They want to hire the type of person that will be in a character suit and still be smiling even though no one can see your face. There's ways they can find out if you're that type or not. ;)

tabacco
07-15-2002, 04:07 PM
Also, I don't believe you can do characters as a CT. I might be wrong though.

Uncle Dick
07-15-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Jungle Cruise Wannabe
Just wondering how I would go about getting a job as one of the costumed charactors at Disneyland?
Check out this link (http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/dep/characters.html).

It seems like a great job, kinda getting paid to have fun, any advantages or disadvantages to the job?
I'd imagine it gets a bit hot in those costumes, especially during the summer.

Also, what's the difference between CT CR and so on...
CT = peak periods only (summer, spring break, christmas, etc.)
CR = peak periods + weekends (+ some weekdays)

Mouse
07-15-2002, 06:26 PM
FYI - the link UD posted has some useful and important information about the audition process but it is not up to date. Fliers posted backstage about the upcoming audition have the correct date and heights that are being auditioned. Call (714) 781 - 0111 for up to date information.

And you can apply for a CT position

JasonWorrel
07-15-2002, 06:37 PM
Hello, I worked as a character in the park for a year until I quit about 4 months ago. It was a fun job, however it can get hot and can get you exausted frequently.

They traditionally will hire CT more often, but recently have been giving CR status to most new hires. Most all the people in the department are theatre arts/dance majors so a theatrical background helps. Also, if you would like to see what it's like, you can audition for a character host, you would work alongside the characters and get a first hand take on what it entails. Also, once a host you can become a character more easily.

Hope this helps.

GoldenEars
07-15-2002, 09:06 PM
Through endless amount of nagging from friends and family, I tried out for the face character of *Milo* from *Atlantis* last summer. Having never done that before, I had no idea what to expect. What I experienced were 300+ guys and gals trying out for face characters too. I met some really nice people, who I still keep in contact with and see in the Parks. But there were a lot of them that had this *greater than Thou* attitude and were just way too *drama* for me! I'm not an actor or dancer, and never claimed to be. But I tell ya, theatre people are certainly in a class by themselves...it's kinda scary!

Anyway, I made the 1st cut by passing the *looks* of the character. The 2nd cut I made too, the reading (acting). It was the 3rd cut I didn't make, and that's because I can't dance, LOL!! I have 2 left feet and when I heard I had to *move*, I knew I was screwed.

But overall, I had a blast and enjoyed the experience! Would I ever do it again? Probably not, but I certainly have more respect for those face characters in the Parks and what they have to go through to get where they do. It's not easy, and it's very *cut throat*...especially the girls!

Side Bar...seeing this one girl with the full on make-up and wig of *Snow White* and acting the part, yet, she had her own clothes on that were quite revealing with this huge tattoo on her back. I about laughed my a** off, it was very comical.

Patrick

WDWalways
07-16-2002, 07:18 AM
Does anyone else think Stitch should have been much shorter and rounder --- more like Donald Duck or the Dwarfs?? I was so surprised to see him so tall and somewhat on the thin side.