PDA

View Full Version : Candlelight Processional

Suzy64
09-04-2007, 09:55 AM
I'll be visiting Disneyland from Dec 2nd to Dec 5th and would like to know -what is the Processional all about? can anyone go to it? and will they have fireworks that night?

Darkbeer
09-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Candlelight Processional will be held the evening of December 1st and 2nd, 2007.

It is a large combined choir, including some Disneyland employees along with an orchestra and a celebrity narrator (usually only named a couple of weeks in advance) telling the story of Jesus.

It is actually not an official Disneyland event, and is not listed on the main schedule. Disney does offer dining packages to get some reserved seats for this event (once again, no details yet). It basically started as a private event set up by the CM's (employees) as a thank you to the park sponsors and other main folks that helped out the park. They allowed the public to watch if there was any leftover space, and it has grown into a big event.
Currently, guests are allowed to line up and watch behind the reserved seats at no cost. Shows are offered twice a day, around 5 and 8 PM.

It does force the parades that weekend to be offered earlier than normal (you get one in the morning), the Railroad operates for only part of the day and that the Main Street Station is closed. Also the traffic flow in and around the Town Square and Main Entrance is very heavy both evenings. Fireworks will be offered as normal at 9:25 PM (weather permitting).

The CM parties are scheduled for Monday Dec. 3rd and Tues Dec 4th, Disneyland will closes at 6 PM both nights, so the parade is held earlier, and the Fireworks are offered at 5:45 PM (in December it is already dark by then). DCA will remain open a few extra hours to allow guests to remain after 6 PM.

Suzy64
09-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Thanks Darkbeer for the info!
I didn't think they'd have fireworks every weeknight....that's good to know!

Darkbeer
09-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks Darkbeer for the info!
I didn't think they'd have fireworks every weeknight....that's good to know!

Christmas Fireworks with the snow effect are offered nightly, in 2007 they start Friday, November 16th and will last until the first few days of January. Of course, that is weather permitting, and high winds can cause cancellation, and the area gets high winds on occasion during the winter months.

Suzy64
09-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Do you happen to know why the CM's need 2 days for their parties?
Guess they have too many people for one big party ??

Darkbeer
09-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Do you happen to know why the CM's need 2 days for their parties?
Guess they have too many people for one big party ??

Actually it is designed to allow everyone to attend. They still need CM's to run the park and its attractions.

Those who work the Monday party gets to attend the Tuesday one, and visa versa.

Nice way to keep the park open and to keep the crowds down. They could get it done in one day, but it would be awfully crowded and not much fun.

Disney also picks some of the slowest days they have on their schedule to try and not interrupt the guests too much.

The old man
09-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Candlelight Processional will be held the evening of December 1st and 2nd, 2007.

It is a large combined choir, including some Disneyland employees along with an orchestra and a celebrity narrator (usually only named a couple of weeks in advance) telling the story of Jesus.

It is actually not an official Disneyland event, and is not listed on the main schedule. Disney does offer dining packages to get some reserved seats for this event (once again, no details yet). It basically started as a private event set up by the CM's (employees) as a thank you to the park sponsors and other main folks that helped out the park. They allowed the public to watch if there was any leftover space, and it has grown into a big event.
Currently, guests are allowed to line up and watch behind the reserved seats at no cost. Shows are offered twice a day, around 5 and 8 PM.

It does force the parades that weekend to be offered earlier than normal (you get one in the morning), the Railroad operates for only part of the day and that the Main Street Station is closed. Also the traffic flow in and around the Town Square and Main Entrance is very heavy both evenings. Fireworks will be offered as normal at 9:25 PM (weather permitting).

The CM parties are scheduled for Monday Dec. 3rd and Tues Dec 4th, Disneyland will closes at 6 PM both nights, so the parade is held earlier, and the Fireworks are offered at 5:45 PM (in December it is already dark by then). DCA will remain open a few extra hours to allow guests to remain after 6 PM.

I'm confused by this, it's, "actually not an official Disneyland event." But it's in the park (and I guess even runs down Mainstreet) and schedules of other official events, such as the parades, are moved around.

itig
09-04-2007, 02:19 PM
disregard...oops :P

Maus
09-04-2007, 07:04 PM
It basically started as a private event set up by the CM's (employees) as a thank you to the park sponsors and other main folks that helped out the park. They allowed the public to watch if there was any leftover space, and it has grown into a big event.

I'm not sure if this is a true statement, but what I do know is that the Candlelight Processional used to be a community event. Local churches and other choirs were invited to participate (I believe some still do). The choir director of my former church was a well-known local music teacher. She brought our church choir and directed the Disneyland bell choir at the Processional for many years. About 15 years ago management changed direction somehow and each community choir was asked to submit audition tapes in order to be invited. That's when Carol got very offended and would no longer participate.