PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland "Special Events"

CEO Andrew
07-15-2002, 11:56 AM
With the upcoming "Haunted Mansion Holiday Event," I was curious as to my fellow MPers opinions on Disneyland's special engagements. I know that they've hosted both a previous HM event and a POTC event a few years back. Were they worth it? Moreover, can anyone elaborate on the benefits of paying substantially more for a higher package? What kind of "commemorative souveniers" are you given/do you get the chance to purchase? Thanks - I'll see you all there on October 3! =D

KarenW2
07-15-2002, 01:24 PM
We've only done one special event so far, the Sneak Preview & Scavenger Hunt, with the panel discussion at DCA on January 19, 2001. We thought it sounded like a fun idea, to be able to see & experience the park before other people would. We also thought the scavenger hunt would be fun & panel discussions interesting.

What we received for our ticket price - MANY more people there than we were told when we bought our tickets! We were told it was a special exclusive party & we would be the ONLY ones in the park! Imagine our surprise, when we found there were MANY other groups there as well! The park was more crowded that one night than it probably has been anytime when we've been there since the park opened!!

The panel discussion was interesting, but again, they gave us wrong information on what would take place. We were told it was going to be Q&A from the audience, but it wasn't. It was an "interview" basically, run by Marty Sklar, interviewing the panelists & asking questions HE had prepared. It was interesting, just not as much as if we would've been able to ask the questions we wanted answers to.

After the discussion, we got to see Steps in Time (the 1.0 and best of the various later versions IMHO). We also received $15 each in vouchers for food in the park, so we went to Soap Opera Bistro, since we figured with $30 off, it might be worth it. We found it WAY overpriced (still had to pay $20 in addition to vouchers, for just 2 entrees & 2 drinks!) and the food was not good.

The scavenger hunt was fun, but a bit tedious. It took so long to do that, with the huge lines at the different rides that night, we weren't able to experience as much of the park as we would've liked. When it got to be midnight, we gave up waiting on the Soarin' line, since one projector was broken, we'd already waited 2 hours in line & wanted to go on GRR before the event was over at 1am. Sooo thankful our room was right there, to run up and change out of our soaked clothes after the ride!!

Commemorative souvenirs - when we finished filling out their survey sheet, we were given an odd paperweight sort of thing, with a drawing of the front of DCA and the California letters. All it says under the resin is, CALIFORNIA - "A Fun New State of Disney Magic". It's not dated or anything that gives you the event info on it.

Also, if you went all thru the park, answered all the scavenger hunt questions correctly on your form/map, got it stamped by a CM at each place & turned in your form/map, you received a set of pin-back buttons of each of the places you visited in answering the questions, in a box with a plastic sleeve to put your form/map into. The pins are dated, with the event name on them, so we thought these were pretty cool!

Almost forgot! When we went thru the Mission Tortilla Factory, we were each given a bag of 36 tortillas! Woo hoo!

For purchase - there were commemorative t-shirts, posters, pins and other items, at various prices. Also, a very nice Levi jacket with the Sun Wheel artwork in leather on it. We bought a t-shirt, a Sun Wheel poster, 1 each of the pins and the Levi jacket, that my DH and I take turns wearing.

Since we spent the night at the GC, we were very happy to find we could register for the event and pick up our purchased merchandise well ahead of time. They had cold drinks and a little bit of food set out for people checking their merchandise, so that was nice.

We were also able to meet, chat a little, then get our poster and Levi jacket signed by the artists who did them, at the GC, since they were having a signing in the afternoon, before the event started, so that was fun.

After this event experience, we bought tickets to the HMC event with Tim Burton & Danny Elfman last year, but cancelled & got our money back, when the main people we were coming to see weren't going to be there. Without them, it was too overpriced for us!

Since the HMC has already been open, I can't imagine what they could be offering to make it a special event, worthy of paying a lot of money for, but we're waiting to make our decision until we find out what it is & how much it costs.

Hyperboy
07-16-2002, 01:21 AM
So is anyone else underwhelmed by what they're doing for this event? $70 for a panel discussion? I don't know, I guess I'm not "hardcore" enough to spend money for the privilege of buying more junk. Though hopefully the merch selections will be better than the Villains event -- the first and last merch event I will attend!!!

KarenW2
07-16-2002, 08:40 AM
Yeah, we're pretty UNDERwhelmed too! Notice they're not telling us WHO is on the panel, right?? Maybe they don't want the same problem as last time, where they promised big names and they didn't show??

I also noticed that except for the $69 ticket, the others don't say they include admission!! I would think if you're paying that much for a ticket, they'd include it! Also, it looks like there is no discount on the $69 ticket, if you already have a PAP. So the admission part of that one is a total waste of money.

We've already seen the NBC overlay, so except for having CMs jump out at you, something that I really don't want to "experience", or whatever, what can be that special? You're right, it's spending money to spend more money! We're not real fans of NBC to begin with, so I don't think we're interested this time.

How about a special event to re-open the Sleeping Beauty walk-thru, with Aurora, her prince, etc.?? Now, I'd definitely go for something like that!!

MouseWife
07-16-2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by KarenW2

How about a special event to re-open the Sleeping Beauty walk-thru, with Aurora, her prince, etc.?? Now, I'd definitely go for something like that!!

A vision of that sounds just lovely!!! Perhaps if they elaborated on it and made a dinner like one they may have enjoyed, with costumed ladies in waiting etc. and other nice-ties {like a specially closed off Fantasyland all themed up for the event}. That would be for the adults. For the kiddies, they could host a breakfast.

Ooo, I could see arriving at the walkway to the castle, being greeted by someone dressed in character, have our name on a list, then being announced................

and for sure the castle would have to be all lit up. Fireworks to finish the event.

Oh, is it going to open back up? I thought it was closed for an undetermined amount of time?

KarenW2
07-16-2002, 09:47 AM
Yep, I could definitely go for that! Servers in renaissance outfits, a quartet plays period instruments while you dine, it could go on and on. Even encourage guests to come in costume as well!! Tables could be set up in the courtyard of the castle and/or in front of the castle, if more room is needed, castle merchandise to buy, etc. ,as long as we're DREAMING!!!

I sure hope they get it back up one of these days, especially for the 50th Anniversary, but who knows!

Now if event planners only read this website....

cyberRoo
07-16-2002, 10:00 AM
Did anyone else go to the Mr. Toad event? It was, hands-down, the best of the special events I've been to. (we were fortunate enough to skip Villians and last year's Mansion).

After a preliminary smashing of a WDCC mold for 101 Dalmations (which was nifty, if off-topic), we entered our private event in Fantasyland... complete with mist rising from the moat of the castle. Inside were "medevil" games, a light meal, and a couple of open bars - everything terribly well themed. Icabod Crane and Brahm joined us, telling stories, and chatting with guests individually... As they told the story of the Headless Horseman, we were directed on to each of the Fantasyland rides at appropriate moments (ie, Icabod got scared and wanted to tell a story of a boy who never grew up - cue Peter Pan leading us onto the ride). All of the characters rode with guests, completely in character, over and over again. As we rode each ride, the catering was changed - the best was apples and cheese in the queue for Snow White.

Eventually, Icabod got onto a carousel horse, miming the action of racing away from the headless horseman - the carousel slowly turned, he disappeared, with only his hat on the horse. All of the lights went out, a clap of thunder, and we saw the headless horseman ride by...

It was an amazing events - incredibly designed and choreographed - and with virtually no waiting in line or fighting to get the "good" merchandise.

All this talk of a themed Sleeping Beauty event reminded me of it...

KarenW2
07-16-2002, 10:15 AM
Wow, CyberRoo, that sounds really great! Something we'd like to do for sure!! We don't really care for NBC and don't understand all the hype about it. I really don't want that kind of merchandise in my display cases, alongside my Lladro porcelain, y'know??

A big "thumbs down" from this household! We'll wait for a better event!

CEO Andrew
07-16-2002, 11:00 AM
A "Sleeping Beauty Castle" special event would be just delightful! I'm very excited about such a proposition (although I, like most, don't believe it'll ever open again). Imagine - they could hold it with the re-opening of King Arthur's Carousel, as well! They could even invite the various "princesses" from Disney's films.

Thanks for your input so far! Since I'm considering buying a PAP this summer, I don't know if the $69 package is worth it. Hmmm . . .

MouseWife
07-16-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by CEO Andrew
A "Sleeping Beauty Castle" special event would be just delightful! I'm very excited about such a proposition (although I, like most, don't believe it'll ever open again). Imagine - they could hold it with the re-opening of King Arthur's Carousel, as well! They could even invite the various "princesses" from Disney's films.

Thanks for your input so far! Since I'm considering buying a PAP this summer, I don't know if the $69 package is worth it. Hmmm . . .

Hey, any CM's able to put any ideas into anyones ears? Or if they have an 'idea' box?

This sounds fantastic!! A combination with the Carousel is a brilliant idea!!

Come on someone!!!! Help!!