PDA

View Full Version : One Day Park Hopper Now in Testing at DLR

Techie7
07-15-2002, 08:57 AM
I just got off the phone to confirm that a two park hopper was available to SoCal residents for $79. While on the phone with the wonderful guest relations lady, she informed me that today she got the memo that they now will have a one day park hopper (test marketing) for $59 (adult) and for the life of me I can't remember the child price. The number to call would be (714) 781-7290. I am happy that they are now offering this though I wonder how long it will be until separate admission is destroyed and the price for admission for both becomes $59 or $60. Just a little note for those of you with one day trips.

RStar
07-15-2002, 10:11 AM
That's great news, Techie! I've had friends want to go for one day with me and I would have liked to take them to both parks, not just one. And the $59 isn't too bad ($79 IS). I think they should have (or keep) the one day park hopper for APs that want to bring friends to both parks for the day.

socabch
07-15-2002, 10:29 AM
I think they should have (or keep) the one day park hopper for APs that want to bring friends to both parks for the day.

I was just thinking of that the other day. Sometimes my kids want to bring a friend with them. But asking a parent to shell ticket money for 2 separate parks is alot. In the past we have just not gone to DCA when the girls bring freinds. But I was thinking maybe as an advertising ploy they could give each APer one free pass a year to use for a freind. Rules would be the APer has to be with the freind when the free pass is used. This might get people that live close enough to want a AP of there own after they get bit by the DL bug.

Techie7
07-15-2002, 11:57 AM
I like the idea of the park hopper in the summer. It should help even out some of the crowding in DL if people start to try out this new offering.

tabacco
07-15-2002, 04:03 PM
It's $59 for adults and $49 for kids, on sale as of today. Tickets are only good for the date of purchase, and we haven't been told how long they'll offer them for.

MammaSilva
07-15-2002, 04:14 PM
I'm willing to bet that the days of two parks two gate fees is going to be a thing of the past within the next year (if it even takes that long) they need the bodies in DCA, buying stuff, eating, and learning to like it so they tell others about it, they already did away with the annual pass issue, this wasn't an unexpected move, only thing that surprises me is that it's taking so long

gn2dlnd
07-15-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Techie7
I just got off the phone to confirm that a two park hopper was available to SoCal residents for $79...The number to call would be (714) 781-7290.
I gave a call to this number to get the details and this is what Emily told me. $79.00 plus your SoCal I.D. gets you a 2 day park hopper pass. The first day must be used the day of purchase, the second before Sept. 4th. And no, it can't be applied towards an AP. Dang.

Darkbeer
07-15-2002, 05:10 PM
I think you got some bad info regarding the AP upgrade, many folks have done it...

Let me quote from the current Guide to the Magic (Park Map)

Apply the cost of today's admission toward a multi-day Park Hopper Ticket or Annual Passport! Stop by any Main Entry Plaza ticket booth for more information. Upgrades must be made on the same day that your original admission is valid.

And the new One-Day ParkHopper is valid for anyone, no zip code requirement.

TerryTiger
07-15-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by gn2dlnd

I gave a call to this number to get the details and this is what Emily told me. $79.00 plus your SoCal I.D. gets you a 2 day park hopper pass. The first day must be used the day of purchase, the second before Sept. 4th. And no, it can't be applied towards an AP. Dang.

I must correct this misinformation - the $79 CAN be applied towards an AP - I did it last Friday for my mom (who lives in OR). We went to the parks on Wednesday (first day of use) then again on Friday (both blacked out for So Cal APs) - Friday evening as we left DCA at 9 PM to head back into DL for the fireworks, we stopped at a ticket booth and payed $20 to upgrade her to a So Cal AP that she can use when she comes back to visit in early December and again next spring.

merlinjones
07-15-2002, 07:37 PM
>>they need the bodies in DCA, <<

True.

>>buying stuff, eating, and learning to like it so they tell others
about it,<<

A few big assumptions there...

AVP
07-16-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
And the new One-Day ParkHopper is valid for anyone, no zip code requirement.

But only if you know to ask for it, *and* the CM knows about it. My husband's family was here yesterday when the tickets went on sale, and asked about them. They were told that there was no such ticket. It wasn't until later in the day that the "word" seemed to trickle down to the rank and file.

AVP

Ace
07-16-2002, 01:15 PM
so for 14 bucks I can go over to DCA.... wow, I might have a reason to go over there now.

tabacco
07-16-2002, 04:14 PM
The reason the word takes time to trickle is that our managers hold a series of meetings at the beginning of the day. Anyone who comes in second shift or late is *supposed* to be told, but realistically that doesn't always happen.

Adrienne, I'm sorry you weren't informed of the ticket by your seller, but most of us are doing our best to inform guests about the ticket.

Iceman
07-16-2002, 05:14 PM
I'll have to think about that the next time I go to DCA. For $14 it might be worth it to be able to go to DL for a few hours.

coronamouseman
07-16-2002, 05:30 PM
So things must be grim if there is a need to offer more discounts in the middle of the supposed busiest time of the year for DLR......

Iceman
07-16-2002, 06:41 PM
I don't think it's fair to call this a discount. After all, Disney is now charging some guests $14 MORE for the same day of entertainment.

Darkbeer
07-16-2002, 06:49 PM
But until Monday, if I was in town just for one day, and wanted to go to both DL and DCA, it would cost me $90, now it only costs $59, sounds like a discount to me!

Iceman
07-16-2002, 09:58 PM
Let's be at least SOMEWHAT realistic. How many people do you think bought two one-day passes to be able to park-hop?

Darkbeer
07-16-2002, 10:27 PM
Actually back when they had the two-day So Cal special where you got two days in a single park, many people used both "days" on the same day and used the pass like a park hopper.

And if you want to be realistic, How many people do you think bought full price single day tickets to DCA?

tabacco
07-17-2002, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Iceman
Let's be at least SOMEWHAT realistic. How many people do you think bought two one-day passes to be able to park-hop?

You'd be surprised

Iceman
07-17-2002, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
And if you want to be realistic, How many people do you think bought full price single day tickets to DCA?

A heck of a lot more than bought two full-priced admissions and used them on the same day!

How much did that SoCal two-day hopper pass cost?

coronamouseman
07-17-2002, 09:03 AM
Guys, let's put this in perspective:

(1) Think in terms of revenue:

DCA drew 5M guests last year - let's assume for discussion's sake that that was their target number (hah, that's a good one .....). So at expected gross revenues of $40 a person (assuming as many kids as adults at the $45/$35 regular price) they would have expected gross revenue of $200M.

But if, after all the discounts were counted, they were only averaging $20 a ticket (again, strictly guesswork here), then they would have essentially fallen short of their $200M expectation by $100M. Not exactly chump change.

Same principle this year - if they were expecting to sell two-park tickets for something like $100 and now they are selling them for $59, the revenue numbers are not going to look too good.

(2) Precedence:

Did Disney Studios or Disney Animal Kingdom suffer from similar adolescent attendance problems? I don't believe so. I attended WDW shortly after both parks opened respectively and all Disney did was add them to the park hopper ticket options and priced their admission at the same as the other parks.

So the situation at DCA does not look pretty if such discounting is required during the socalled busiest months of the season.

There might be one other fact to consider, however, which might be more of a national issue than simply an amusement park attendance issue. It might be that the economy is reeling at this point and although the most visible and talked-about areas are considered to indicate things aren't that bad, the "grass roots" indicators of entertainment such as theme park attendance are showing a reluctance or inability of consumers to spend on certain types of more expensive entertainment such as theme parks - and that would be a problem much bigger than simply low attendance at DCA.

awinner
07-17-2002, 11:47 AM
i have a question...i bought my mother a 1 day tix about 1 1/2 yrs ago...no expiration date...she finally wants to go to the park in august...will they allow my to upgrade the tix that day to a 1 day park hopper if i pay the difference?

tabacco
07-17-2002, 12:02 PM
yep :)

pikachan
07-17-2002, 11:11 PM
For ticket information/reservation call (714)781-4400. This is the number to the ticket pros.