PDA

View Full Version : Teens and wheelchairs!

disguy
07-15-2002, 08:14 AM
I just came back from Disneyland last night.. and for the four days I was there I saw at least one group of teens pretending to need a wheel chair. I actualy heard one teen say "get out you've been in it all day it's my turn" I don't understand why Disney can't do anything about this.

socabch
07-15-2002, 08:41 AM
This has been a sore subject here on who needs a wheelchair. What you witnessed was an abuser. You can report them and they will be dealt with. I was thinking that maybe Disney should require a Doctor's order stating that a person needs one whether it's temporary or permanent. When my hubby hurt back and he couldn't walk distances without being in pain, the doc gave him a temp handicap parking placard and an order stating his reason for needing a wheelchair if he so desired. I know there are people here at MP that need a wheelchair on occasion for health reasons. What do you all think? Would this work? I'm no expert on this matter.

Gemini Cricket
07-15-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by socabch
I was thinking that maybe Disney should require a Doctor's order stating that a person needs one whether it's temporary or permanent.
socabch- I think that's a good solution, but what happens if they don't have a doctor's note? Send them away? Make them walk? I mean, how do you get the word out that they need a doctor's note? It's a tough situation. Sadly, there are many abusers.

mkyears
07-15-2002, 09:53 AM
Actually as a guest that needs A special assistance pass often I already get alot of hassle. I frequently have to explain my situation and it's not fun. I am 18 so I suppose I could see why I get the hassle. I havent brought in a medical note yet but I plan to I just think it's if someone obviously isn't lying or they don't look that great give it to them and leave them alone, but if some kid comes in all happy like hey I need a pass then turn them down. Also I've seen more adults lying than kids

mad4mky
07-15-2002, 10:51 AM
You do not need a SAP to rent a wheelchair.
Anyone can rent a wheelchair...to get a SAP you have to go to City Hall and request one. Perhaps if you HAD to have an SAP to rent a wheelchair...if it was a two step process, maybe the kids wouldn't have such easy acess to the wheelchairs. People who do need to use the chairs, whether a kid has a broken leg, or because you might have a disability not visable to the public eye probably wouldn't mind doing both steps to get a chair...especially if they understood the abuse that is rampant now...

MPad has had this discussion more than I can count. So I am not going to say any more than this...

socabch
07-15-2002, 05:08 PM
how do you get the word out that they need a doctor's note?

That's probably the hardest part about starting a new program. It would take atleast a year of phasing in to take care of most guests. I like mad4mky's idea about having an SAP in order to rent a wheelchair. It would cut down on some of the abuse. The thing I worry about (I posted this in another thread) When a guest really needs a wheelchair there won't be any available becuase abusers are using them.