PDA

View Full Version : Christmas at Disneyland will start a week later than normal this year, 11/16/07

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
09-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Disneyland.com has now posted the entertainment scheudules for the rest of 2007, and now all the main events, including the Fireworks and the Christmas Parade start a week later than the last few years, Friday, November 16th.

"it's a small world holiday" will open a week earlier, November 9th, but mainly for ride capacity issues, as in the past Veteran's Day weekend has had capacity crowds.

But don't expect all the decorations to be up until Nov. 16th.

ktrm
09-01-2007, 02:53 PM
mmmm....bummer. So you think the decorations will be completely done by the 16th. I booked the 12th-the18th of November. When do they start putting up the Christmas decorations and how long does it take to complete it? I used to love this week because they had the fireworks every day but the crowd levels were pretty low. I guess management figured this out.

Darkbeer
09-01-2007, 03:20 PM
They will start the transition from Halloween to Christmas on November 1st, but mainly in closed off areas, such as Big Thunder Ranch.

The Small World area will be first, with the area done by the 9th.

You will see the Main Street stuff start going up on November 13th, and the Christmas tree should go up after closing on the 5th, so it is up for opening on Friday the 16th.

yohomama212
09-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Will there be any special lighting ceremony or official recognition of the tree going up or will it just be there that morning?

Elizabeth

Mom2
09-01-2007, 09:10 PM
I just checked the site for December 1-7 and the parades and entertainment events are not yet listed.

Darkbeer, do you happen to know if Fantasmic will be on during that time?

I read some other threads with contradicting information about that, and emailed Disney, who had no answer for me either.

I am also curious about the Main Street Electrical Parade during that time.

DizneyMommy
09-02-2007, 05:52 AM
I just checked the site for December 1-7 and the parades and entertainment events are not yet listed.
Darkbeer, do you happen to know if Fantasmic will be on during that time?
I read some other threads with contradicting information about that, and emailed Disney, who had no answer for me either.
I am also curious about the Main Street Electrical Parade during that time.

Dec 1st/2nd - probably will have Fantasmic but those are also Candlelight days so who knows.
Dec 3/4th - those are cast party days and the park closes at 6pm so no Fantasmic - my suggestion is to leave before the crowd tries to!
Dec 5/6th - the park is not open late enough for Fantasmic, so probably no
Dec 7th - the park is open until midnight so it is likely it will be on this night

The Electrical Parade does not come back until peak crowds - around the 14th.

Hope that helps!

DizneyMommy
09-02-2007, 05:54 AM
Will there be any special lighting ceremony or official recognition of the tree going up or will it just be there that morning?

Elizabeth

There is usually a tree lighting ceremony, but it is not real widely publicized, I am not even sure it was on the calendar online last year.

jory29
09-02-2007, 07:13 AM
Last year we were there Nov. 2 - 9th - I recall around Nov. 3rd or 4th the tree was just suddenly there, in all it's splendor, [and the other trees, took, such as in Toon Town] and the decorations for Christmas were going up FAST! Every day we went, there were even more impressive Christmas decorations that had gone up during the night. We just loved it!! We couldn't believe how Disney decorates for Christmas time. It was incredible.

Do you guys think that they think the week of Nov. 2 will be more busy, crowd wise, than the week of Nov. 9th? I'm not sure if their goal is to try to do things when the crowds are sparse, as I thought they work at night for things such as that.

Or do you guys think that Disneyland knows the crowds are so low for the first couple of weeks in Nov. that they don't think there's a point in getting them up so fast - [it appears they want the decorations up, mostly in time for the busy Thanksgiving season, right?]

Malcon10t
09-02-2007, 08:33 AM
There is usually a tree lighting ceremony, but it is not real widely publicized, I am not even sure it was on the calendar online last year.Both the tree lighting and the IASWH lighting were on the calendars last year.

Darkbeer
09-02-2007, 10:15 AM
For the last few years, Veteran's Day weekend has brought Capacity Crowds, and I think Disney feels they don't need to do any sort of major promotions to get folks to visit. This year the Holiday falls on Monday, November 12th. So maybe Disney is hoping for a few less folks, still large crowds, but not needing to turn folks away.

So facilities gets its extra time to get things done, and then Disney can use the Chrsitmas stuff to draw folks for the rest of the year.

But I think the weekdays (November 5th thru the 9th and November 13th thru 16th should be nice light crowds, with the exception of Friday's where the crowds were grown in size in the evening hours.

tripodjw
09-02-2007, 11:19 AM
For the last few years, Veteran's Day weekend has brought Capacity Crowds, and I think Disney feels they don't need to do any sort of major promotions to get folks to visit. This year the Holiday falls on Monday, November 12th. So maybe Disney is hoping for a few less folks, still large crowds, but not needing to turn folks away.

So facilities gets its extra time to get things done, and then Disney can use the Chrsitmas stuff to draw folks for the rest of the year.

But I think the weekdays (November 5th thru the 9th and November 13th thru 16th should be nice light crowds, with the exception of Friday's where the crowds were grown in size in the evening hours.

That's good to hear - i'm there 14-16th Nov so am pleased i'll get to see xmas stuff and have light crowds until my last evening.

Monte Cristo
09-02-2007, 11:25 AM
I just want to be clear on something:

The park *will* be decorated the week of the 13th, right? I understand that the parade and fireworks won't be operating until that Friday but I just want to make sure for my family's trip from the 14-17th that we get Christmas at Disneyland. More than anything else, I just want to know that Main Street will be decorated and playing Christmas music.

Another question: if we decided to change our plans, how is the Mon-Thurs the week following Thanksgiving?

Darkbeer
09-02-2007, 12:07 PM
I just want to be clear on something:

The park *will* be decorated the week of the 13th, right? I understand that the parade and fireworks won't be operating until that Friday but I just want to make sure for my family's trip from the 14-17th that we get Christmas at Disneyland. More than anything else, I just want to know that Main Street will be decorated and playing Christmas music.

Another question: if we decided to change our plans, how is the Mon-Thurs the week following Thanksgiving?

As I understand it, and based on what is listed at Disneyland.com.

The first week of November will basically be the removal of the Halloween stuff, and then working on the New Orleans area (always seems to be first on the list, and is easy to do at the same time removing the Halloween stuff), also work in and around the small world area, as iaswh does open on Friday the 9th, so I presume the area will be dressed up.

But I doubt that much will be done on Main Street until after the 11th, as the standard parade will be offered, and the floats do not allow for the overhead garlands to be strung up. And usually one of the last things that goes up is the tree at Town Square and the music.

By the 14th, much will be up, but I doubt the music until the 16th, also things like the Santa's Workshop won't be open or offered until Friday the 16th.

Monday the 26th thru the 30th should be nice and quiet.

Monte Cristo
09-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the input, Darkbeer. Your info and efforts are always appreciated.

Wendi
09-02-2007, 01:53 PM
It is slowly creeping more and more towards December... it used to be the first weekend of November, then it moved up a little maybe 2 years ago, now it moved up again. I am glad I keep taking my trips later and later!!! hehehe

Pirate Princess
09-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Oh I am so sad! We can only make DL from the 14-16 this year and I was hoping to see all of the decorations during the whole trip. Don't worry.. I'll be okay with it in a few hours... but for now I am super bummed.

Darkbeer, please keep us updated if there are any changes or rumors.

Thanks for the info!

tomoyo
09-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Aw, I convinced my family to go to Disneyland this year just for the Christmas in Disneyland magic and now we're going to miss the Mainstreet decorations by one day. :crying:

renodlandlover
09-03-2007, 06:56 AM
Can anyone share info about when the take the decorations down? Thank you!

DangerMouse
09-03-2007, 07:31 AM
Can anyone share info about when the take the decorations down? Thank you!

My best guess is January 7. Last day of Christmas peak time should be Jan 6. That is the same time they took them down this year when we were there.

Malcon10t
09-03-2007, 09:05 AM
My best guess is January 7. Last day of Christmas peak time should be Jan 6. That is the same time they took them down this year when we were there.The majority should be up til the 7th. A few items will be down due to interference with New Years Eve and Rose Bowl set ups. But over all, most will be up til Jan 7th.

DizneyMommy
09-03-2007, 09:33 AM
But if you want a photo with the snowman snowglobe, you better grab it first! He vanished overnight last year way before the rest of the decor... :)

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=64315&highlight=snowglobe+snowman

Malcon10t
09-03-2007, 09:41 AM
But if you want a photo with the snowman snowglobe, you better grab it first! He vanished overnight last year way before the rest of the decor... :)

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=64315&highlight=snowglobe+snowman

Right, the snowglobe was removed so the Rose Bowl set up could take place. Unless they move it this year to a better location, it will probably disappear after Christmas when they gear up for the Rose Bowl games with all the players/bands/etc.

tinker3
09-03-2007, 10:39 AM
I am so bummed! We will be there from Oct. 31st - Nov. 4th. I don't expect to see Christmas Deco's on main street or the tree up but we usually get pretty lucky this time of year and see a good amount up. Last year I think all of toon town, frontierland and NOS was up by the 2nd. They do seem to be getting a little later each year. I think 3 or 4 years ago we actually saw the tree up on main street the 1st week of Nov. :) I know some people don't like it up that early but I think the earlier the better :geek:.

cstephens
09-03-2007, 02:28 PM

I hope he doesn't come back...

Last year, in addition to the Main Street tree lighting and the lighting of Small World, they also had a tree lighting at the Christmas roundup in Big Thunder Ranch.

misdisney
09-03-2007, 03:49 PM
After reading all of this I to got very confused and concerned! My family and I go to disneyland every Nov.usually the 2nd week. We are also going this year the week of Nov.10th ~17th. After looking at the web site and calling a friend of mine in CS she said the the park should be deco by the morning of Nov 12th with the tree up and main street deco as well. The Prade of Dreams stops on the 11th and the holiday prade begans Friday the 16th as well as the holiday fireworks. There will be fireworks the weekend of the 11th but could not tell me if it would snow or not down main street...
So for those of you going the 12~14th ( I think those were the dates) you should be just fine as far as decorations go!:)