PDA

View Full Version : Seating for Rockin' the Bay - Beach Boys

HBDisneyPrincess
07-14-2002, 09:59 PM
I went to the Beach Boys concert on Saturday, thought I'd share my experiences.

We got to the area in front of the Rockin the BAy stage at about 3:00. We didn't particularly want to see the show, as much as hear it, but we were lucky to get a pretty good view directly in front of the stage behind the seating area. There was a rope up (we weren't exactly sure why) and a big empty space in front of the rope up to the back of the ampitheater.

There was talk among the people standing around that the CM's were going to drop the rope before the concert. Also, the warm up guy (Dean) mentioned that people would be allowed to sit on the grassy areas to watch the concert.

I really wanted to watch from the grass, thinking it would be a good view, and kind of have a park-y, lawn seat feel to it. However, we were confused becasue no one was going on to the grass.

As the concert started, all of the people around us swarmed forward, under the rope (It was so quick and sudde, that I thought the rope had been dropped. Also, one or two people talked to a CM and then climbed in to the grass so my frinds and I went in too, followed by a whole group of people.

The concert was awesome!!! The beach Boys were great, the grass area made it an awesome view, and we even had a bit of shade from the trees. The only draw back was that most of the area was in the sun and it was HOT!

My friends and I went back for the second set, and were greeted by five stern looking cast members. Someone asked if they could go on the grass and the CM's said, "we aren't going to allow that this time." The lady who asked replied, "please, we were good last time." But to no avail. I was really upset by this becasue it was the only darn place that offered any shade to see the stage. However, as I thought about it, I could see how they didn't want everyone climbing over the fence...if someone got hurt yadda yadda (can't they take down the darn fence? It would have been great viewing for Lumanaria too...I know I know th poor grass, sigh)

Anyways, we found another great spot, in th unused portion of the queue to Golden Dreams. You could lean against the wall and have some shad, and although you were facing the concert and could hear it perfectly, you couldn't see, but that was fine with us. We enjoyed the second concert, despite being upset about the whole grass thing.

We hadn't planned to to go back today (Sunday) but my boyfriend was signing in some friends so we decided to stay for the first show. DCA was crowded today, probably the busiest I've seen it. Of course, I wasn't suprised that they weren't allowing people to sit on the lawn, but I was suprised and angry to find that they weren't letting people sit in the shade of th Golden Dreams queus facing the stage. It is unused, the ate opens so people can walk through, and yet security was actively kicking people oout of the area. This confused me and made me mad, considering it is one of the few shady areas where you can here the music and it is never used for anything. I still haven't figured out what there problem is in letting people sit there.

Well, there's my experience. The entertainment was top notch, but the area was so poorly planned. I give credit where credit is due, but frankly, I am so sick of hearing, "they didn't plan enough but it didn't turn out too bad considering..." I just wish they would do things right the first time around.

Thanks for reading this long winded post. Any other Beach Boys Experiences?:cool:

HBDisneyPrincess
07-14-2002, 10:02 PM
Ug, I posted before rereading it...sorry about all the typos!