PDA

View Full Version : What is the point of the security check? [merged]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

JamesDL
08-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Ok, I understand the concept of security checks for the airport, concerts, political conventions, courthouses, etc. I have no problems with these and gladly submit to them because it does give me a slight feeling of safety that I'm not going to be at a concert and some guy is going to stab me or pull out a gun.

HOWEVER, I really do not understand it at Disneyland. Not saying that I don't think they should do it, but in the manner that they do it.

For girls, they simply look through the purse. Some "inspectors" are a little more thorough than others and ask to look around, but some simply look at the main compartment and wave them along. This is in purses with multiple compartments.

For guys, unless they have a backpack, they are waved along.

Here is my problem... If it's a gun, I could easily fit one in my jacket. If it's a knife, same thing, I can fit a dozen in my pockets. Anything that these women can fit in their purses can likely be concealed on myself with the help of a jack and/or pants. If it's drugs / chemicals / etc, well that's easy to hide.

So my point is... WHAT ARE THEY LOOKING FOR?? Unless a girl was stupid enough (from a terrorist point of view) to leave a gun in her purse in open view, they are not going to find anything.

At concerts, they pat you down / send you through a metal detector / use a hand held metal detector and confiscate anything that could be used as a weapon as well as any narcotics.

One thing that I have observed on 2 separate occasions is the detention of what appeared to be middle eastern people. They took them to the side and inspected their bags in greater detail. Is this considered racial profiling?

The reason I write this is because the other day when I was there, someone in our group passed up the security guard because they had nothing to "claim" (IE: No purse). So they just walked past the 2 security guards on both sides. Well one overzealous "security guard CM" yells out in a very rude tone, "Hey get back here right now!" When they returned she barked out that they were not allowed to pass until told otherwise. The person in my party replied "Oh give me a break." and she tried to get confrontational and said "Say it to my face". We all just walked away. This was a CM saying that! Never have I run into a ruder CM than that. Normally they are all so sweet and nice.

Opinions on the security checkpoints and my experience?

NikosMom
08-30-2007, 10:16 PM
The security check is the one area I dread!! After unloading our diaper bag and bottle bags and hip bag as well as bag of extra clothes and snacks for our 1 and 2 year old from the tram, we then have to load the kids back in the stroller and hook the bags to the stroller and stuff the others in the baskets and then walk up to the security checkpoint where they then make us take off all the bags only to briefly glance into them and pass us on. It drives me crazy. Why do we have to unhook all the bags if they only glance in them???? I am all for extra security but don't inconvience me if you aren't really doing anything. It is frustrating.

adriennek
08-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Minor clarification: It's not a "security check" - it's a bag check. It is not run by security. ;)

Adrienne

JamesDL
08-30-2007, 11:23 PM
Minor clarification: It's not a "security check" - it's a bag check. It is not run by security. ;)

Adrienne

Well according to the rude CM, everyone had to be checked regardless if they had a bag or not.

cynthia312
08-30-2007, 11:23 PM
Yeah, the original poster has a point here. With my purse I could hide ANYTHING i want in there. [not saying that i have or will] but with all my purses, i have other little zipper compartments and they don't bother checking whatever is in there.

So since you said its a "bag check" and not a security point check....what are they searching for?? Or what are they trying to prevent from getting inside the parks?? If its weapons or knives or anything like that, once again the original poster said it all. Males and just have those in their jean pockets since they're all so roomy and big.

Now this is making me wonder......

tripodjw
08-30-2007, 11:34 PM
I always assumed that this kind of check was for larger items that could be a problem - e.g. a gun or a bomb. Even a small gun would be hard to hide in a ladies purse - even in zipped side pockets. Plus lets face it the prospect of a security check would make anyone think twice if they intend on taking in dangerous "objects".

I thought the point of the extra "checks" at Disneyland was mostly for bombs too. If terrorists wanted to send a statement that they can strike at the symbols of the USA, like they did with the twin towers - they're always likely to want to target the well known ones. To me as a non-american there's three big symbols of the USA - Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty and Disneyland -especially the castle.

Can you imagine if the castle got blown up? Not only would it be exceptional in loss of life/injuries etc. - but it ould also be the loss of a symbol of the things the USA stands for.

I guess management at any public attraction know - it's difficult to stop a crazey with a knife from hurting one person, but they're likely to be stopped before hurting many people or damaging the "symbol". A gun or a bomb well they can cause a lot more damage before the person is stopped.

They can't search for everything but as far as i can tell they're looking for the obvious in the hope of discouraging even the relatively minor.

Darkbeer
08-31-2007, 05:40 AM
What are they looking for?

Weapons, knives, glass bottles and containers, a "picnic" lunch (a main meal, snacks are allowed).

And yes, there are NO "bagless" lines, everyone HAS to walk thru the entrance checks, if someone "cuts" the line by trying to use the exit to enter, then the CM's should stop the guests. Both for trying to avoid the check, and for just being RUDE in trying to cut in front of others who are waiting their turn.

backsthepack
08-31-2007, 05:44 AM
We have actually been there in the winter, when we had "heavier" coats on and have had them ask us to remove the coats. Then they feel up and down the coats while they are holding them. We are white Americans, no racial profiling there.

I feel that it is something that is needed and no harm is done. Better safe than sorry, even if it is just a little bit safer due to their checks.

DizneyMommy
08-31-2007, 05:54 AM
The glass bottles thing mystifies me, too. I frequently take glass baby food jars to the park for my daughter. No one ever said a word to me, they looked right at them and waved me on. Then one day a CM actually tried to tell me I had to throw it out. Huh? I can't take baby food in for a baby at family theme park? After a little discussion about my daughter having a special diet, and pointing out my daughters emergency bracelet stating her heart condition to prove it, they let me through and told me not to do it again. I do it every week still and still they look right at it and pay no attention, though ever since then I have made sure it is at the bottom of the bag and they never look that far. I can understand not wanting those big glass Sobe bottles and stuff like that, but give me a break - you want me to leave me baby's food at home?

nvmom
08-31-2007, 06:50 AM
I have no issue with the bag check, if it deters somebody from doing something stupid, then it's worth it. I would certainly agree that it's hit or miss. One time they hardly glance in your bag and another time we've had CMs look in every pocket of our backpack.

Our most recent trip, Aug 19-21 we had an encounter. In our backpack I always keep a small make-up size bag that serves as our first aid kit. It's kind a woven mesh so you can see what's inside it without unzipping it. We keep band-aids, anaseptic wipes, mole-skin, a couple tylenol and a small pair of child size Fiskar scissors. We've had it in our backpack every trip... but this time, one time thru bag check we had a CM who got on us for the scissors. She took them out, looked at them and said, "If these were any bigger you'd have to throw them away." Huh.

nvmom

EvilQueen_76
08-31-2007, 07:18 AM
According to a CM, they are looking for alcohol that people could sneak in. I'm assuming it could also be a lot more things too as well.

Bolivar
08-31-2007, 08:16 AM
Those checks will only catch two types of items: Items people didn't know not to bring and that happened to be at the top of a bag and items bigger than a toaster (ok a bit smaller than that but I couldn't think of an appropriate sized item). Anyone who wants to sneak in a gun or a knife or alcohol would have no problem doing so.

But I don't think they are really there to stop any of that. They are there as a deterrent and to keep honest people honest. Someone who might not think it that bad to bring a couple beers into the park, likely wouldn't go the extra step to sneak them in.

As far as bombs, even without those checks no one could get anything big enough to bring down the castle into there. A backpack with explosives and nails like at the 96 Olympics maybe and that is something the checks stop. However unlikely that might be.

pisces
08-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Also, I think it limits their liability, somewhat, if there are any incidents inside the Park.

It's better than nothing.

Bytebear
08-31-2007, 09:30 AM
I wonder if there are legal issues at stake. I can see Homeland Security telling Disney that they need to do some level of checks, and Disney complies, even if it is half hearted.

Andrew
08-31-2007, 09:38 AM
What is the point of the security check?

None. Absolutely none.

GORGON
08-31-2007, 09:42 AM
I am extremely Happy when they do a thorough check on everyone. It makes my Family and I feel safer in the Park.

Bolivar
08-31-2007, 09:49 AM
None. Absolutely none.

No there is a point, it just isn't security. There are rules about bringing lunches and alcohol and such and if there was no checks at all there would be a lot of people who would say, "this one bottle of beer won't hurt anything;" "we will just pack this lunch, no one will care." And as more people brought minor amounts, others would see this and start doing it too and they would over time have to enforce it at the gate or in the park. A few people at $7.00 an hour is a small price to pay to keep people honest.

But that is all they are doing. They aren't stopping terrorists or criminals.

Darkbeer
08-31-2007, 10:21 AM
None. Absolutely none.

Actually there is one MAIN one..

The FEEL GOOD point, making guests feel safer by going through them.

VickiC
08-31-2007, 10:36 AM
It's as useful as the liquids restrictions on airplanes.

Vegitabeta
08-31-2007, 10:42 AM
I think that they are even more half-hearted about it at DLP to be honest, they'd rather continue their conversation than check your bags.

Lani
08-31-2007, 11:04 AM
Actually there is one MAIN one..

EXACTLY.

I for one think the bag check is ridiculous. It costs the park money to hire the CMs to do the work, it causes needless back-up for people wanting to enter the parks (here's a thought for the ordinary visitor: THREE LINES before you even get into the park! #1 for bag check, #2 for purchasing admission media, then #3 for entering the park -- ridiculous).

It's NOT a security check. Anyone actually intent on causing harm can do untold damage with things easily concealed and taken into the park.

Let's see... a handgun? Easily tucked by your ankle under long pants, long skirt, or tucked at your waist band, with a light windbreaker over it for concealment.

Knives? Same thing. Even easier, 'cause they're flatter!

Bomb? Take the parts in by their components, made small enough that they are easily overlooked.

Bomb vest? Just wear padding over it like you are a larger/fatter person -- they don't pat you down, anyway.

You can easily take in the makings of a Molotov cocktail.

Bottles of acid? Just as easy.

I honestly, truly, truly believe it's total BS. It's nothing but to give a false impression of safety among park guests.

And you know what? You just wait until something truly violent and horrendous happens in the park, with weapons or tools that were easily concealed and brought inside.

All of the surviving family members can sue Disney for having an ineffective "security system" that let the stuff past their bag checks.

The only way they will have real security (and only up to the level of an airport) is if they institute walk-through metal detectors and inspect each person with a detection wand, like they do in some amusement parks and fairs.

You wanna talk about a back-up? You wanna talk about breaking up the illusion of it being a happiest place?

What a waste, that bag check is. Stupid stupid stupid.

MoKat72
08-31-2007, 11:14 AM
Heck, I don't mind it. I just consider it a warmup for the Matterhorn line.

K & S
08-31-2007, 11:30 AM
According to a CM, they are looking for alcohol that people could sneak in. I'm assuming it could also be a lot more things too as well.

I often take a flask on winter nights, I've never once been questioned about it.

Andrew
08-31-2007, 11:56 AM
Ineffective "security" does not make me feel good or safe, nor should it make any thinking person feel good or safe. In fact, obviously ineffective "security" makes me feel both annoyed and less safe, since I know exactly how easy it is to take something purportedly "forbidden" through the checkpoint.

DizneyMommy
08-31-2007, 12:05 PM
No there is a point, it just isn't security. There are rules about bringing lunches and alcohol and such and if there was no checks at all there would be a lot of people who would say, "this one bottle of beer won't hurt anything;" "we will just pack this lunch, no one will care." And as more people brought minor amounts, others would see this and start doing it too and they would over time have to enforce it at the gate or in the park. A few people at $7.00 an hour is a small price to pay to keep people honest.

But that is all they are doing. They aren't stopping terrorists or criminals.

Well, but consider the fact that they never felt the need to do this until recently, after 9/11, and the rules about alcohol and lunches have been there for many many years before that.