PDA

View Full Version : what questions should I ask Thurl Ravenscroft?

Tigertail777
07-14-2002, 02:44 AM
Hey all! Most of you probably know about the theme park fanzine that I'm startting, so I went go into too much depth.. but I finally have been able to arrange an interview with Thurl Ravenscroft.. so regarding the different attractions he did voices for, what questions should I ask him? I need to get the questions compiled asap as the interview is next week, so any help is greatly appreciated. :)

just to jog your memory he did singing/voices for one of the singing busts in the haunted mansion, several of the pirates in POTC, Buff in country bears, Fritz and Tongoroa in tiki room, and the original narraration for the WDW, Disneyland Railroads.

Dean Higgins
07-14-2002, 07:06 PM
I heard a track on E-TICKET RADIO the other day where Thurl narrated the JUNGLE CRUISE. I guess the captains back then didn't do it. They just "steered' the thing as the audio rolled. Maybe it was recorded and never used... but anyway, ask him about that. Mr. "Tony the Tiger" is absolute greatness.

Tigertail777
07-14-2002, 07:31 PM
I can ask him about the recording of it, but I know what the original source was... you are referring to what was the B side of the tiki room record that came with a picture book. Thurl did the narration for the jungle cruise on that. Don't feel bad though, a lot of people seem to think this was something actually used on the ride, and to the best of my knowledge it was only done on the record. Anyone know if the jungle cruise started out wth recordings, or was it always narrated by the skippers?

MonorailMan
07-14-2002, 08:28 PM
Quest For Thurl:

As the narrator for many rides, did/does anyone say "Hey, your that Disneyland voice guy?".

blusilva
07-14-2002, 11:29 PM
He's one of the singing busts in the graveyard at the HM right? I'd be curious to know how he feels about having been a "ghost" for lo these many years. And if people ever recognize him from that.

hefferdude
07-15-2002, 07:43 AM
For which voice(s) did he receive the most recognition?
My bet is on Tony the Tiger!

Gemini Cricket
07-15-2002, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Dean Higgins
I heard a track on E-TICKET RADIO the other day where Thurl narrated the JUNGLE CRUISE. I guess the captains back then didn't do it. They just "steered' the thing as the audio rolled. Maybe it was recorded and never used... but anyway, ask him about that. Mr. "Tony the Tiger" is absolute greatness.
According to Disney Jedi Master LostBoy, the Jungle Cruise has always had a real person doing the narration it was never a recording. The recording was promotional or may have been a Disneyland Record. I have the recording from Napster and it follows the ride to a T and has some of the same jokes.
:)

KarenW2
07-15-2002, 12:41 PM
What a fun job to be able to do this!! I would say, most of all, please express our great thanks for all his work over the years!

I've enjoyed when he narrates the Pageant of the Masters in Laguna, especially when it comes to their rendering of the Last Supper!!

Here's a couple of questions nobody else will probably come up with - could you please ask him what he does to keep his voice "in shape" and if he has any kind of remedies for things like laryngitis that have worked well for him over the years? As a singer, I'm always looking for tips like this from a professional!!

Thanks for asking for our input!!

daannzzz
07-15-2002, 01:22 PM
While your fanzine may want to ask all about his work for Disney which I know I would too you might want to ask a few questions about the rest of his career. What was his favorite assignment of all? Who were his favorite performers and who influenced him most? What are his hobbies? Etc. And then ask about his work for Disney. Did he ever meet Walt Disney? how did he come to be involved with his voice work for them?

Tigertail777
07-15-2002, 11:33 PM
Hey guys thanks for all of the suggestions and please if you think of anything else post them. I will definately let him know how much y'all appreciate him.. when I first called he felt he was too old to interview, and seemed sort of down in the dumps.. I sort of got the impression that he thought no one would care about an interview. So I will let him know that there are lots who love his work still and do care.

blusilva
07-16-2002, 01:15 AM
If we send you personal messages for him, would you pass them along? Maybe that might cheer him up. :)

Winca
07-16-2002, 09:36 AM
How he got his name.

(no joke).

You might also want to ask that to Heck Allen (the MGM cartoon writer back in the 40s-50s.) as well.

Tigertail777
07-17-2002, 12:45 PM
Sure Blusilva and anyone else I will passs along your personal notes to him, but I interview him in about 3 days so you'll have to be quick!:) Thannks forall the replies guys if you think of anyhting else, let me know.

AliKzam
07-17-2002, 11:17 PM
I would ask him where he got his start. Was there anyone who discouraged him from getting into entertainment? Where did he grow up? Did he serve in the military?
I don't know if you've conducted the interview or not, yet (I didn't check the date of your last post). But if you haven't and your serious about letting him know our personal messages, let him know I think he has one of the most familiar and comforting voices I know.

Tigertail777
07-18-2002, 07:45 PM
Well I am still going to try to interview him, but I tried earlier today and he just basicly said "I'm too old for this--I'm sorry I'm tired and I cannot do this" but he did say if I called some other time he might consent to a small one. I have to be very careful how I approach him he is very tired of interviews and feels he's too old to do anyhting like them anymore. So I will politely keep trying and if he says no on that day then so be it. I will let you know of any progress. And no I am not nor will not, pester him to death he has a right to privacy and I respect that, but he did also leave an open invitation for any time he feels like actually doing an interview and he himself said "just try some other time that is all I can tell you." I did relay your feelings about him, and he sounded somewhat doubtful, and said" in order to do interviews you have to be on, I am no longer on and am tired of being on, and I have to have a point and I feel that I don't". So the only thing I can do is keep trying.