PDA

View Full Version : Smashed Pennies

minniemom
08-28-2007, 12:45 PM
We are going to add to our collection of smashed pennies when we go next week. March 06 when we were there, we collected quit a few. Are there any new pennies in the parks since then? Anyone know of less visible ones we might have missed?

Also, does anyone have ideas for how to keep the pennies? We bought the Disneyland book, but it isn't big enough.

Thanks for your help!!!

disneyfan4ever54
08-28-2007, 01:09 PM
If you go to parkpennies.com they have a list of the pressed coin machine locations as well as a description of the coins. We print out a list and check off which ones we don't have yet so that we can locate them.:)

tigger08
08-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the information. That is a great Idea. My kids like the penny's so I think we will do that instead of the pin's to add to our collection

UsBurchs
08-28-2007, 01:41 PM
AH! Pressed Pennies! After Disney stuff, it's my second favorite obsession. :) I have A LOT of pressed pennies and I keep most of them in a binder. I went to a coin shop and bought cardboard holders for quarters and the plastic pages that these cards slip into. They fit the pressed penny nicely, but the do tend to tip around. Each page holds about 20 cards. Nice thing about doing it this way is that you can see both sides if it's a double pressed coin. I like to write information on the card as well - where I got it, the date and any special memory that goes with it. I do, however, tend to keep my Disney coins in the Disney books you buy at the park. Check your local coin shop and see what they have.

My favorite penny sites:

www.pennycollector.com
www.parkpennies.com
www.presscoins.com

City Hall also usually has a good updated list for each park.

My other favorite tip for pressed penny collectors at the parks . . . I keep my quarters and pennies in those M&M Mini's tubes. Also, some people suggest that using pennies from before 1985 is better because they are solid and the silver color of the new coins doesn't squish through, but many machines are callibrated for the newer coins and smash nicer (softer coin). It's always nice to have some extra shiny pennies handy to give to kids who might need one. :)

minniemom
08-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the info. Our kids love this. Do the smashed penny machines get changed out ever for new ones?

Bytebear
08-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the info. Our kids love this. Do the smashed penny machines get changed out ever for new ones?

The machines don't, but the impressions do. At least for the 50th celebration, all the penny machines were special 50th anniversary presses.

The Evil Queen
08-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Can special books for these be purchased in the park? That's a great keepsake other than the autograph books. Those are getting a little tired by now.

Bytebear
08-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Can special books for these be purchased in the park? That's a great keepsake other than the autograph books. Those are getting a little tired by now.

Yes, the park does sell books to hold your pennies.

You could also buy this collectors edition:

http://www.pressedpenny.com/dlbooks.php

minniemom
08-28-2007, 06:32 PM
The machines don't, but the impressions do. At least for the 50th celebration, all the penny machines were special 50th anniversary presses.

When was the last change out? Has it been since March 2006?

Bytebear
08-28-2007, 06:43 PM
According to parkpennies.com, a new set of presses were put in the Main Street Opera on 7/14/07. My guess (and I am not a collector) is that they rotate various presses every so often, but do not replace them all at once.

UsBurchs
08-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah, go to www.parkpennies.com and you can read all about the newest additions and which ones get moved where. One of the cool ones is at the Grand Californian (in the gift shop). They have a new one each year. Last year, they had to change it out because of a rather, uh, rude chipmunk overexposure problem. :rolleyes:

They are fun to collect - I like that they change them out. Makes the ones you get pretty darn special. The books you can buy at the parks are nice to keep your coins in too. This years is nicer than last - it closes better. They usually have spots for pressed quarters and nickels too.

jackaroosmom
08-28-2007, 08:00 PM
While we are on the subject, I had heard there was a pirates smashed coin machine in NOS that you could print letters on.
I have searched but haven't seen one. Does anyone know if it's still there and where it is located?

tigger08
08-29-2007, 06:12 AM
Speaking of the pressed penny's does anyone have last years ChipNDale that they recalled or the Monerial that was recalled also?

UsBurchs
08-29-2007, 08:10 AM
I have the Chip and Dale pressed penny that they had to change. (the rude version). And yes, I can see what they were getting at, but I'm sure they didn't mean to make it that way. TOO obvious. I didn't notice the issue at first, but then read about it on parkpennies.com and saw that I ended up with one.

PennyArcadeSplash
08-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Yes, the park does sell books to hold your pennies.

You could also buy this collectors edition:

http://www.pressedpenny.com/dlbooks.php

Holy smokes! I'm sittin on a money mine... I have like 3 or 4 of these books... they were hard to find and had a manufacturing defect so they were pulled. WOW!!!!

minniemom
08-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Speaking of the pressed penny's does anyone have last years ChipNDale that they recalled or the Monerial that was recalled also?

I don't want to start a bad conversation, but how in the world can they put a penny out there that is so bad it had to be recalled? Were they really that bad, or was someone over reacting?

backsthepack
08-30-2007, 04:46 AM
Pressed pennies are so much fun! We love them. We have 3 books full now and will start a new one when we head back in March.

seanutbutter
08-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Getting pressed pennies is part of the whole Disney experience for me. I bought a book for my collection during my 2005 visit and brought it along for my recent trip. I'm glad to hear others enjoy this as well; I thought it was sort of an underrated thing!

UsBurchs
08-30-2007, 08:48 AM
I don't want to start a bad conversation, but how in the world can they put a penny out there that is so bad it had to be recalled? Were they really that bad, or was someone over reacting?

Well, I don't know of they noticed it at first, but if you look at it, then yeah. It needed to be recalled. I can see why parents would look at it and go "WHAT THE . . ????" One of the chipmunks is sporting a pretty obvious male body part - to put it lightly. ;) I'm sure that when it was designed, it was meant to be just a part of his leg (haunches), but when it was actually cast and pressed, the designed ended up looking different.

Maybe they just put it out hopeing no one would notice or bring it up. (not likely). Who knows.

MrsPooh
08-30-2007, 09:04 AM
UsBurchs, what great ideas you have for pressed pennies!

We'll have to try the coin collector thing. What a great way to display them, as those DL books tend to get filled really fast.

I loved your idea about the M&M Minis tubes. MrPooh swears each trip that he's going to bring a roll of quarters and a roll of pennies, and he always forgets. This would be a great way to carry them, and I can keep them in my bag.

Great tips, thanks! :)

Drince88
08-30-2007, 09:22 AM
I use an altoids tin for my pre-and post-pressed coins. I find it's a little easier than the M&Ms tubes, since the pressed coins can go back in and get emptied each night in the room.

Bytebear
08-30-2007, 09:38 AM
I use an altoids tin for my pre-and post-pressed coins. I find it's a little easier than the M&Ms tubes, since the pressed coins can go back in and get emptied each night in the room.

All that rattling? I like the idea of a tin, but put a tissue or cloth in the can to stop the noise.

Drince88
08-30-2007, 10:01 AM
All that rattling? I like the idea of a tin, but put a tissue or cloth in the can to stop the noise.

My bag doesn't move 'around' enough that it actually makes noise. I wouldn't keep it in a pants pocket, though!

DizMe
08-30-2007, 10:04 AM
I have never collected the pennies, but my sister does. Her dh took some of her favorites and had them made into a bracelet. He took them to a jeweler who put a metal band around each penny and linked them. I think my sister said he used something that just had to be modified to fit around the pennies, but I'm not sure. I can ask her. Let me tell you, it is very cool!! It makes me think I want to start collecting pennies, too :D

Drince88
08-30-2007, 10:53 AM
I have never collected the pennies, but my sister does. Her dh took some of her favorites and had them made into a bracelet.
I thought about doing something similar, but more 'crafty' - but haven't gotten around to it, or totally figured it out :rolleyes: I was just going to get a metal punch of some sort (basically that I could line up on the penny, and hit with a hammer, and create a small hole in the pressed penny - I figure someone at Home Depot could help me figure out what I needed!) - and then use small jump rings to link them together. At one point, I thought it would make a cute hat band for my park straw hat - and then I was going to use them on my Christmas tree in the chain, and then a decorative belt. I did decide that putting a jump ring in one end and dangling off the brim of my straw hat would be over the top, even for me!