PDA

View Full Version : Who has used Disney Gift Cards at Disneyland?

Pinkhoody
08-28-2007, 09:29 AM
I think I will be getting a Disney Gift Card before my trip. It would be a good way to put away money 'til the trip and not think about it, y'know?

My question is, on the website it mentions that the gift cards are good at 'participating locations' at Disneyland.

So I know that means the churro cart won't take them, etc... but what about restaurants?

Has anyone here ever used them? Are there any stores that you know of at DLR that won't take them?

Cat H
08-28-2007, 09:37 AM
I have used a gift card at Blue Bayou last September.

DizneyMommy
08-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Anywhere in the 2 parks or the 3 Disney hotels that can take a credit card will take the gift card. The only thing that makes me nervous about them is that at the full service, sit down restaurants what they typically do with a credit card is run your card once with the pre-tip amount, which puts a hold on that money in your account, and then they run it again with the tip added back in. The first amount will be released back into your account by your bank usually within a day or two. How that works with the gift cards is a really good question... they may be putting holds on amounts that you then try to spend and realize you can't.

Plus, if you lose it, loaded with of lots'o'money, you are out of luck. I would go for Disney Dollars if you want to keep an eye on your budget and make it easy, that way you can always count what you have left, you can tuck it away somewhere safe and only carry what you need for each day, and since you can divide it up and put it in more than one place, if you lose some, or your wallet, you have not lost ALL of your vacation money. But that's just my suggestion... :)

annieb727
08-28-2007, 10:55 AM
We have several gift cards...they're great. Our big thing was we bought five day hoppers and plan to upgrade to AP's after we use the EE. So we bought Gift cards to cover the rest. We don't have a disney store around here, so buying disney dollars isn't easy for us. I like being able to buy the gift cards online.

Last year, when I stayed at the DLH, I had all the $$ in giftcards - I bought them as I went along - I think I had like 30 gift cards - it took FOREVER to pay for my room!

tigger08
08-28-2007, 11:12 AM
Do all the sit down resterants take the gift card? I'm thinking about doing this for my kids for our trip so tehy have tehre own money to spend.

annieb727
08-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Here are the "terms & conditions" from the DL website for gift cards:

"At the Disneyland® Resort, the Disney Gift Card can be redeemed at select merchandise, food, ticketing, parking and Guest Service locations, all well as Disneyland® Resort Hotel room nights.

Not accepted or valid for use for room service or lockers. Not valid or accepted at Taste Pilots Grill, fruit carts, outdoor vending locations, third party lessees, Names Unraveled, Jewel of Orleans, Silhouette Studio, Portrait Artists, Parasol Cart, Heraldry Shop, Crystal Shops, Midway games, Face Painting, Disneyland Kennel Club, and Downtown Disney® District Operating Participant locations (other than World of Disney®, Marceline's Confectionery, or the Pin Cart). Not accepted at Disneyland® Resort Hotel nor the Downtown Disney® parking lots. Not currently valid or accepted for tickets, room nights and packages purchased online at Disneyland.com."

My assumption would be if it's not listed on the "not available for use..." section, then you CAN use it there. It makes sense that anywhere they do not accept CC they wouldn't take them. I don't get why they don't take them at Taste Pilot's grill though.

Pinkhoody
08-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Anywhere in the 2 parks or the 3 Disney hotels that can take a credit card will take the gift card. The only thing that makes me nervous about them is that at the full service, sit down restaurants what they typically do with a credit card is run your card once with the pre-tip amount, which puts a hold on that money in your account, and then they run it again with the tip added back in. The first amount will be released back into your account by your bank usually within a day or two. How that works with the gift cards is a really good question... they may be putting holds on amounts that you then try to spend and realize you can't.

Plus, if you lose it, loaded with of lots'o'money, you are out of luck. I would go for Disney Dollars if you want to keep an eye on your budget and make it easy, that way you can always count what you have left, you can tuck it away somewhere safe and only carry what you need for each day, and since you can divide it up and put it in more than one place, if you lose some, or your wallet, you have not lost ALL of your vacation money. But that's just my suggestion... :) Very good point, thanks. I guess I could always tip with actual money or ...Disney dollars? lol That would be funny. I wonder what the servers would think of that. I imagine it would be convenient enough for them to switch out their tips at the register.

Pinkhoody
08-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Here are the "terms & conditions" from the DL website for gift cards:

"At the Disneyland® Resort, the Disney Gift Card can be redeemed at select merchandise, food, ticketing, parking and Guest Service locations, all well as Disneyland® Resort Hotel room nights.

Not accepted or valid for use for room service or lockers. Not valid or accepted at Taste Pilots Grill, fruit carts, outdoor vending locations, third party lessees, Names Unraveled, Jewel of Orleans, Silhouette Studio, Portrait Artists, Parasol Cart, Heraldry Shop, Crystal Shops, Midway games, Face Painting, Disneyland Kennel Club, and Downtown Disney® District Operating Participant locations (other than World of Disney®, Marceline's Confectionery, or the Pin Cart). Not accepted at Disneyland® Resort Hotel nor the Downtown Disney® parking lots. Not currently valid or accepted for tickets, room nights and packages purchased online at Disneyland.com."

My assumption would be if it's not listed on the "not available for use..." section, then you CAN use it there. It makes sense that anywhere they do not accept CC they wouldn't take them. I don't get why they don't take them at Taste Pilot's grill though.
Cool, thank you. I didn't see that anywhere on the page that displays the gift card.