PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day + Marathon

SJF510
08-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Does anyone know how disruptive the marathon is going to be next Monday (Labor Day)? Also, do you think it is going to cause Xmas sized crowds? We were comtemplating a quick trip down on Monday, but not if it takes an hour to get to the parking and you can't walk in a straight line once you get to the park. Any thoughts?

gibson510
08-27-2007, 10:19 PM
look at todays DLR update. It tells all...

BarbD
08-28-2007, 05:41 AM
I ran in last years half and will again this year. The half is about 12,000people I think? PLus family and friends. I do not think it made any more impact than any other convention in town. In the sceme of things Disneyland is huge with two parks and all the other activities going on. The biggest problems will be street closures early Monday. we are required to meet up at 4am so shuttles will start earlier than that. The area around the parking garage has many closed streets. The half takes us in to both parks then we go where the tram drives past the parking garage onto Ball. Then we weave some city streets and head over to the river basin near the stadiums. We come out and go on streets some more and into the back side of DCA once more and the hardest part for me was crossing in Down town disney as more people traffic was there that time. Its all over shortly after 9:30am. Then the bulk of activity will be in the streets near downtow disney for some time.

As for parks. I myself wil arrive Saturday then Im going to a required expo at the disneyland hotel. Ill spend the evening on the parks. Then Sunday I plan to keep light and not stay out too late. Monday my body will limit my park time again as afterwards I need to recover some to be able to do much. So you see if Im typical I wont "clutter" The park very much in my time there. The focus of my trip is the race and the parks are secondary.

I have been there in summer and 4th of July and the crowds are nothing like that. Of course last year it wasnt on a holiday either. (Last year it was 3rd week of September)

annieb727
08-28-2007, 06:51 AM
I was there last year - which it was NOT on labor day. I found a noticable increase in crowds from that week before the marathon going into that weekend.

Labor day weekend will already have higher crowds due to the "let's hit disney one last time before school starts" people. Add in additional crowds from the marathon...because while some of the marathoner's will not go to Disney that day - I'm guessing all their families probably will.

I was at the DLH last year, and saw tons of people around the resort, talking about going to DL soon...so not everyone takes it easy after the marathon.

However, would I pass up an opportunity to go to DL?? NEVER!! I don't care what the crowds are like, what the weather is like - you give me a chance to go, I'LL GO! Of course, I live in Washington...and I only get to visit MAYBE once a year...so that's just me.

DizneyMommy
08-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Does anyone know how disruptive the marathon is going to be next Monday (Labor Day)? Also, do you think it is going to cause Xmas sized crowds? We were comtemplating a quick trip down on Monday, but not if it takes an hour to get to the parking and you can't walk in a straight line once you get to the park. Any thoughts?

The morning street and freeway offramp closures might make you want to think twice. The problem with Monday is going to be more getting INTO the park, but once you're there it is a crap shoot, as was mentioned this race has not been on Labor Day before. Also, as it is not a blackout day for anyone, I would suspect a lot of local AP's with school aged kids may be hitting the park for one last day before school.

Jon
08-28-2007, 10:31 AM
How about Sunday? Will preparations for the marathon already be going on? I know it will still be crowded since it's the last weekend before school starts for a lot of kids, but a friend of mine is flying in from New York and I want him to see the fireworks and the Haunted Mansion (it will be closed later in the week). Seems like Sunday might be our best bet, as long as the marathon won't already be making things difficult.

Mommy2NicknMax
08-28-2007, 10:39 AM
How about Sunday? Will preparations for the marathon already be going on? I know it will still be crowded since it's the last weekend before school starts for a lot of kids, but a friend of mine is flying in from New York and I want him to see the fireworks and the Haunted Mansion (it will be closed later in the week). Seems like Sunday might be our best bet, as long as the marathon won't already be making things difficult.

The Half Marathon is a weekend long event. There is the Health and Fitness Expo at the Disneyland Hotel on Sat and Sun. Also the Family Fun Run 5K and Kids races are on Sunday. I believe the runners have to check in at the expo on Sat or Sun to get their numbers. So there will be more people there all weekend.

You should still have plenty of time to do the things you want with your friend, just anticipate larger crowds and plan accordingly. Have a great time!!!

Jon
08-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks!
It will be his first Disney trip, so I know we'll have fun no matter how crowded it is.

Gone2Disneyland
08-28-2007, 10:58 AM
How about Sunday?

There is the Disneyland Family Fun Run 5k (http://disneyworldsports.disney.go.com/dwws/en_US/westcoast/events/detail?name=DisneylandFamilyFunRunKidsRacesEventIn foEventDetailPage) on Sunday, starting at 7am. Shouldn't be as big a distraction for your visit tho'.

janell
08-28-2007, 12:59 PM
I was thinking of going to DL in the afternoon, would this still be a good idea? Im wondering if the morning is the bad time and if the afternoon will be better?

shna
08-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Be sure to double-check the park hours for Monday. There were signs by the trams (just outside Mickey & Friends Parking Structure) with the hours posted. I believe Disneyland opens at 10am, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure about DCA...

Darkbeer
08-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Disneyland will open at 9 AM on Sunday due to the 5K

Disneyland will open at 10 AM on Monday due to the Half Marathon

DCA will open at 11 AM on Monday due to the Half Marathon

ledebugg
08-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Does anyone know where spectators can park? or if the Mickey and Friends structure will be open early?

Gone2Disneyland
08-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Does anyone know ... if the Mickey and Friends structure will be open early?

My final race instructions email says we need to be in the staging area by 4:30am that morning before the road closures seal off the area to cars. Last year I think the M&F parking structure was open by 3am. I assume it'll be the same for this year, but I've yet to see confirmation of the same for this year - but I hope so! :) Thanks for asking; I'll ask Saturday when I go to pick up my reg packet.

ledebugg
08-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks so much Gone2Disneyland!

mypupmickey
08-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Re. Mickey & Friends Parking - I just called and they confirmed it will be open at 3:00 AM.

My final race instructions email says we need to be in the staging area by 4:30am that morning before the road closures seal off the area to cars. Last year I think the M&F parking structure was open by 3am. I assume it'll be the same for this year, but I've yet to see confirmation of the same for this year - but I hope so! :) Thanks for asking; I'll ask Saturday when I go to pick up my reg packet.

Gone2Disneyland
08-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Re. Mickey & Friends Parking - I just called and they confirmed it will be open at 3:00 AM.

Sweet! Thanks! :)

Leap for Joy
08-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks!
It will be his first Disney trip, so I know we'll have fun no matter how crowded it is.

I think Sunday might be better than Monday because it's a blockout day for Deluxe APs.