PDA

View Full Version : disneyland cast members??

DonaldDuck14
07-12-2002, 07:42 PM
hi....i was wondering what a cast member goes through on a daily basis at disneyland. like what u do when u arrive, and like what perks u guys recieve. and i was wondering what it takes to be a jungle cruise skipper. I am just curious to know because i am looking forward in working at disneyland real soon.

tabacco
07-12-2002, 09:02 PM
Wellll, I usually arrive about an hour early, clock in, take care of any costuming stuff I need to do (check in/out costumes, etc.), then go have a leisurely breakfast before my shift. Then sell sell sell, change, and head home.

PhilMP
07-12-2002, 11:26 PM
IEWWW!!! You eat Inn Between breakfast?? I hope not.

As for me, I park 15 mins before my shift, run across the M&F structure to slide my card, walk to the office and clock in, get my location, and off I go.

Hades
07-12-2002, 11:42 PM
Hmmmm, lets see. I hit the alarm at 4:30am, 4:45am, 5am, 5:15am, then get up. Hit the shower, put on my stock costume, race out the door and hit the 55 frwy NB to 5 frwy NB to Katella exit. I go to the DTD South parking lot (formerly the Simba lot) and show CM ID to security, then park near the Bonita Tower.

Walk (or run if I'm late) to the DLH tunnels to clock in, check out stockroom keys, and recieve all the merchandise for all the DLH shops. If I'm lucky, I see sunlight 2 or 3 times that shift! :D I and my cohorts like to call ourselves "Stock Vampires" since the sunlight has nearly the same effect on us when we do get out of the DLH tunnels. Two 'half hour' breaks, and a lot of work later, turn in keys, clock out, and make for the car to go home to real life. Whatever that might be! :p

Uncle Dick
07-13-2002, 12:00 AM
I leave the house about 30 minutes before my shift starts and make a quick jaunt down the I-5. I park in the structure and clock in. Depending on where I'm working, I'll either start to make my way across the resort (for Timon shifts) or just chill in the break room and play some Wrestlemania (for structure shifts). I usually chill at the DRC for lunch. There's something "magical" about the chicken tenders there that draws me back each day. Depending on how much walk time the lead is willing to give me, I can clock out and be home before my shift has officially come to an end.

As far as perks are concerned, I've always considered free admission to the Disney theme parks to be pretty swell. There's this huge discount directory that was recently updated with a whole bunch of cool deals for DL CMs across Southern California. Each department has its own perks. RT&P CMs get to park way up front whenever they visit the resort and Foods CMs get free drinks. Oh yeah, you also get to work at the Happiest Place on Earth. :)

bluepearl
07-13-2002, 02:29 AM
I leave the house two hours before my shift, because I live a little over 50 miles away from the resort and I need to allow a cushion for traffic (sometimes I have to leave four hours before a shift because there is NASTY traffic on the I-5 South). I park at the Ball CM lot, walk across the M&F structure to take the tram to the Main Entrance. By that time, I've got about an hour to do whatever I want - walk through the store, go to either DCA or Disneyland to get a snack or just walk through, or change my costume. I clock in about fifteen minutes before my shift, check in with the labor lead, and go to the stock room for the team meeting before I'm off to replenish. I'm really hoping I get back on the floor soon!!

As for perks...perks?! What, we get perks? ;) As Uncle Dick said, there's the free entrance to the parks, plus our Main Gate Passes. I also appreciate Company D, and the fact that there are thousands of people working at the resort, so there's always an opportunity to meet somebody new.

marron-cream
07-13-2002, 02:33 AM
I arrive, fully costumed, about fifteen minutes before my scheduled start time. Depending on the time of day and week, I park in either the Katella lot or TDA. I head to my area and check in at the office. I do various things like check in cast members and sell coin. If I'm closing, I do paperwork. After I'm done, I go home and fall asleep.

It's an exciting life.

HBTiggerFan
07-13-2002, 01:24 PM
I want to start this by saying I am not complaining.

CMs get to park in the M&F structure? I remember before DCA flopped that they were expecting the structure to reach capacity from the guests and all the CMS were suppost to park in the lot. But since it doesn't fill, and its alot closer to the park I'm glad to see that CMS park in the strucutre.

marron-cream
07-13-2002, 01:51 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think only the parking CMs and security can park in the first level of M&F. Everyone else parks in the Ball lot. CMs have to walk through M&F to get to and from anywhere though.

Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan

CMs get to park in the M&F structure? I remember before DCA flopped that they were expecting the structure to reach capacity from the guests and all the CMS were suppost to park in the lot. But since it doesn't fill, and its alot closer to the park I'm glad to see that CMS park in the strucutre.

HBTiggerFan
07-13-2002, 02:16 PM
I bet I misread the post then MC. Lately though I see an awful lot of "important looking people with nametags" walking around in there and in DTD. any ideas what they are doing?

marron-cream
07-13-2002, 02:42 PM
I bet I misread the post then MC. Lately though I see an awful lot of "important looking people with nametags" walking around in there and in DTD. any ideas what they are doing?

They might be general leads and managers of various DTD departments. We have them in DL too, I guess they're less obvious because of all the Guests?

Cinemascribe
07-13-2002, 05:37 PM
Well, i am new. Just got signed off on my attraction.

I usually arrive in costume, or at least mostly in costume (change there if i need to) get a locker and head to my area.

Do rotations of The Walt Disney Story and Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln-

This includes, 1> Greeting 2>Lobby Spiel 3>Theatre Spiel 4>Exit

Exit is so kick back.. the place is air conditioned, during the code 90, I was still wearing my costume jacket and loving it inside.

Some people told me that this attraction was going to be boring. They must not care for learning about Walt, Disneyland and History. (not to be snotty or anything), but I really love this attraction. It's very cool, and I have already learned SO MUCH about Walt, the Company, and Of Course Mr. Lincoln. All this will come in handy when I train on other attractions, enabling me to spiel to guests as they wait in line, with all my great new trivia!

My trainer was awesome, she made a note in the lead log, stating that I was her best trainee EVER. This job ROCKS!

Uncle Dick
07-14-2002, 01:29 AM

On the busiest days (like July 4), about 2/3 of the CM parking inside the structure is reserved for guest overflow parking. I have yet to ever see this used. It's actually not much closer for CMs to park in the structure versus just about anywhere else in the Ball lot. Parking and security guys get to only because their offices are located inside.