PDA

View Full Version : Disney Dream Jobs trip report

clockworkmonkey
08-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Hello. I was one of the lucky winners of the Disney Dream Jobs contest (Honorary Jungle Cruise Skipper category) held earlier this year. I finally finished writing and posting my extensive trip report and thought some of my fellow Mousepadders might be interested in reading the whole story and seeing the pictures.

It's online at: http://www.worldfamousjunglecruise.com/brodiesdreamjobmain.html

Hope you enjoy it, and if you've got any other questions about the contest or the trip, feel free to ask.

Andrew
08-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Wonderful report!

tigger08
08-22-2007, 11:42 AM
thanks for sharing your exsperiance with us!! It sounds like you had a lot of fun.

curtsinore
08-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Thank you !!! My girlfriend is making her first visit in her 45 years of her life this coming thanksgiving and I have been telling her about the Jungle Cruise. And how if we get the right guide up front, it will be her favorite attraction. She has a hard time understanding a Jungle ride blended wtih comedy but now understands it is a show!! So if you see someone laughing out of control on a boat, wearing a FIRST TIME VISIT button, its us.

DangerMouse
08-22-2007, 02:33 PM
LOVED your trip report. Found myself getting choked up at a couple points (especially when you met Lasseter!) Thanks so much for writing about your wonderful experience.

sierranevada
08-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Awesome report! Thanks for sharing.

disneyhound
08-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Definitely worth the wait, thanks for posting!!

emmah
08-22-2007, 04:01 PM
awesome trip report! thanks so much for sharing!!

kennythepirate
08-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Great job, very thorough. It was great to see the goings on of the JCers

Mermaid
08-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Awesome report! I got totally teary at the end! Awesome!

Koala Gurl
08-22-2007, 09:23 PM
FUN! What a dream come true!! Thanks for sharing the report.

rosani
08-23-2007, 03:07 AM
I loved your report, thanks so much. I was gutted when I couldn't enter the competition because I'm not a US resident but I feel like I lived it through you.

Well done!

BarbD
08-23-2007, 09:17 AM
thank you for sharing so much with us. I loved reading every minute of it!!

codewoman
08-23-2007, 09:56 AM
That was the most awesome trip report I've ever read. :) Please, please, please tell me you write for a living and I'll be able to read more of your work! Truly!

And aside from that, it was great to see your wonderful experience. Thanks for bringing the magic home for us.

muppetlover
08-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Thank you so much for such a thorough report. I was really sad when I couldn't make it to the parks to see the dream job winners (which btw, I voted for you). Your report made me feel like I was there.

Now my request is, do you have the footage of your performances on the boat, cause I know I am not the only one here who wants to see them.

annieb727
08-23-2007, 09:17 PM
That was WONDERFUL! I found myself wishing there was more to read when I finished!
Thank you for sharing!

clockworkmonkey
08-24-2007, 05:44 AM
Thanks, everyone, for your very kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the report.

As to your specific questions:

Codewoman: No, I don't write for a living. I did once, long ago, but it wasn't much of a living! Maybe I'll try again sometime. You can read a lot more of my writing at www.capnwacky.com, but that's more silly and sarcastic comedy than earnest non-fiction like this report. I'm also planning on eventually fleshing-out www.worldfamousjunglecruise.com into a complete guide to/history of The Jungle Cruise, but this will take a little time.

Muppetlover: Yes, I do have a video of my performance and have already edited it with cutaways to the animatronics and scenery and such. I'm having a little trouble getting it on Youtube so that it still looks good at all, so it's not up there yet. I'm going to consult with a friend who is a video expert or chop it into two-parts, but either way I should be able to link to it soon.

I should also mention that my fellow Dream-Job winner Ricky Brigante (host of the Inside the Magic Podcast) has compiled a DVD set with my and everyone else's performances, along with footage of the opening and closing ceremonies, Nemo party and more. He's selling them at this page: http://www.distantcreations.com/insidethemagic/store/dreamjob.php Also, on the disc 2 preview on that page, you can see a brief clip of me shooting hippos with my fingers.

And here's a very brief video that careerbuilder made of my experience (gratiously re-posted by kennythepirate): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFNxawINgFE

angelbabie611
08-28-2007, 09:30 AM
I was in the park that day celebrating my birthday. I saw some of the honorary pirates on the island. I wish I would have known more about where the honorary cast members were beacuse I would have ridden on The Jungle Crusie and The Haunted Mansion. Sounds like you had a great experience. Thanks for sharing.

Mr.Abominable
08-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Outstanding report, thank you so much for sharing your experience in detail. I know you all had an amazing time.:)

Clotho
08-28-2007, 03:05 PM
I concur: one of the best reports I have ever read. Kudos on both your report and your win! Your video was HILARIOUS! I hadn't seen all the entrants in all the categories. What a treat! No wonder you won!

And you wrote this:

"I know some people don't understand why Christa and I so love visiting Disney World, and now Disneyland. Why adults with no children are drawn, again and again, back to a place full of artificial experiences that most think of as being made for kids. It's hard to explain. I know that I give myself over to the experience, I accept the unreal and admire the art and skill with which it was made. I can't think of any other place where you can explore a haunted house, fight off scurvy pirates, ride a rocket through the stratosphere, plunge to the ocean's depths, and join an expedition through the jungle rivers of the world all in the same day. I think people either understand the inherent appeal in that or they just don't, and no amount of explaining can ever really convey the experience."

I completely represent that remark. Hubby and I love that magical experience, away from our everyday lives so completely. It is an escape and a joy like no other. Not everyone is able to surrender to that kind of experience, and it makes me sad for them. But to each their own!

lisap
08-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Congratulations. :) I love how you've organized your site--it was a pleasure to read.

Darkbeer
08-28-2007, 04:11 PM
It was a pleasure meeting you on June 11th, and hoping you will be attending the reunion in early December.

Bluesky
08-28-2007, 07:26 PM
That was fantastic!

Vault Disney
09-02-2007, 01:08 PM
That was wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

DisneyWaterfalls
09-02-2007, 02:27 PM
That was awsome! Thanks for posting.