PDA

View Full Version : Lilo & the Tiki Room

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gemini Cricket
07-12-2002, 11:08 AM
Has anyone ever seen Lilo or Stitch near the Enchanted Tiki Room @ Disneyland? I get the feeling they're only going to be in DCA.

Wouldn't the Tiki Room lanai be the best place for a Lilo meet and greet? I mean, the numbers are low on the Tiki Room attraction, wouldn't this help its numbers? Or maybe they just want to boost DCA's numbers...
;)

mad4mky
07-12-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
Has anyone ever seen Lilo or Stitch near the Enchanted Tiki Room @ Disneyland? I get the feeling they're only going to be in DCA.

Wouldn't the Tiki Room lanai be the best place for a Lilo meet and greet? I mean, the numbers are low on the Tiki Room attraction, wouldn't this help its numbers? Or maybe they just want to boost DCA's numbers...
;)

I think this is a GREAT idea. :D

Cadaverous Pallor
07-12-2002, 11:12 AM
I would love to see them there!

DisneylandBoy
07-12-2002, 12:35 PM
It would make more sense for Lilo and Stitch to be in Adventureland near the Tiki Room than in . . . ahem . . . California Adventure.

Also (a little OT) has anyone heard about plans to theme the Tiki Room for Christmas Time?

merlinjones
07-12-2002, 03:04 PM
I'm all for a Lilo and Stitch Xmas update for Tiki Room: Just think - - here's an easy line up:

Tiki Tiki Room Song (Birds)

Mele Kalikimaka (Birds/Audience)

Blue Hawaii (Stitch as Elvis)

Hawaiian Rollercoaster (from the movie) (Flowers)

Surfin' Bird (Oom Mow Mow) (Tikis)

(Snow outside!)

Mele Kalikimaka reprise (whole Company)

DisneylandKid
07-12-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
I'm all for a Lilo and Stitch Xmas update for Tiki Room: Just think - - here's an easy line up:

Tiki Tiki Room Song (Birds)

Mele Kalikimaka (Birds/Audience)

Blue Hawaii (Stitch as Elvis)

Hawaiian Rollercoaster (from the movie) (Flowers)

Surfin' Bird (Oom Mow Mow) (Tikis)

(Snow outside!)

Mele Kalikimaka reprise (whole Company) It is SUCH a perfect match! I doubt it will happen, though. It would have been in the works by now if it was.

MammaSilva
07-12-2002, 03:40 PM
with all the changes it seems this one would be 'cheap, easy, and would rate high on marketing especially with the perfect meet/greet/photo area already in place! It makes too much sense tho, so I'm not counting on it :(

Uncle Dick
07-12-2002, 09:25 PM
As much as I'd like to see Lilo and Stitch in Adventureland, I think the Tiki Room is a bad place to put them. Can you imagine the bottlenecks that this arrangement would cause? The Tiki Room preshow area is already pretty tight, especially just before a show starts. Put L&S in the Oasis.

MammaSilva
07-12-2002, 09:30 PM
that would still work, redo the tiki room show, funnel the folks right into the oasis area, that would need some serious revamping to get it to be "hawaiian" themed but hey they are moving aladdin and Jazmine over to DCA anyway :(

AliKzam
07-13-2002, 12:40 AM
Bring back the Tahitian Terrace! How perfect would that be?
I've taken a summer job at a certain Disney-owned theatre in a specific area of California. I've mentioned the rumor there was once going around of the Tiki revamp to a manager and another person. The manager doesn't say too much about it, so I'm not sure what his oppinion is. But the other person I asked if there were any plans for the decorations from the entertainment center to help spruce up the Tiki Room. He jokingly said "Of course not. That would make sense."
If you haven't been there yet, and are in the area, see the film there. Take a look at all the detail. See if you can find the Kahuna statue that looks like Elvis.

merlinjones
07-13-2002, 11:46 AM
You know - - forget just Christmas - - I'm now convinced (on the basis of listening again to the two original songs from "Lilo" and the Elvis needledrops) that Stitch is a worthy of a full time layover to the Tiki Room (beleive it or not, this from the traditionalist!).

It's just that the great song Hawaiian Rollercoaster is simply too perfect for the Birds and Flowers to sing (including backups)... and Hale no Lilo is a pefect chant for the Tikis! It's like they were planned for the Tiki Room.

With the addition of Elvis' Blue Hawaii and the all time fave Tiki Room Song, you already have a full and totally appropriate modernized show (much better than anything attempted to update Tiki to date)! All one needs is a Stitch Elvis AA to make it work. With the popularity of the film and soundtrack (which is selling like hotcakes), they'd be so silly not to reinvest on this!

As for the queue bottleneck someone mentioned - - easily solved! All you need to do is knock out the little fence that separate the Tiki lanai from Plaza Pavillion and expand the tropical garden and line into the unused outdoor dining area at Pavillion - - it would even look like a better transition to Adventureland!

Pony Sugrue
07-13-2002, 01:29 PM
You "Campus Kook", you're really on to something. Unfortunately we have folks in charge that would rather mis-theme "L&S" into California.

Anyway, "Egg-head", speaking of mis-theming, check out the battle I'm having with others in the "Oh Pocahontas??? Where are you??? " thread

ahecht
07-14-2002, 12:43 AM
Disney is in a Damned if they do/Damned if they don't situation here. If they don't do anything, a small number of people might get restless. If they do change it over, they will be subject to the same backlash they recieved when they redid WDW's Tiki Room (even moreso, since this is Walt's original Tiki Room).

AliKzam
07-14-2002, 09:35 PM
I think if they keep enough of the originality of the show, and it is done well, then few people will actually be able to complain. I have not seen the WDW show, so I cannot judge how good or bad the show is. But I still think it would be good for the show.
1. It would result in the building getting a badly needed refurbishment.
2. It would play on their own success, thus drawing interest from everyone.
3. Dole would be happy that their sponsoree is once again worth it.
4. As the film ("Lilo and Stitch") ages, the original show could be programmed in a couple times a year (as I, too, agree that the redo should be a year-round and not a seasonal thing).

I really only see this as a damned-if-they-don't situation, since all that has amounted for the Tiki Room have been rumors. If that continues to be the trend, then Walt's original will wither away. All the flowers will stop singing, Dole will actually pull their sponsorship, and Disneyland will have it's first food court.
I think most of the Tiki Loyalists would agree with me on this one. Seeing as how it's obvious there are no plans to fix it up as-is.

merlinjones
07-15-2002, 03:43 PM
>>I think most of the Tiki Loyalists would agree with me on this one. Seeing as how it's obvious there are no plans to fix it up as-is.<<

Strangely enough, I do... as long as the new show retains the spirit and structure of the original... and restores as many elements of the original decor as posssible.

WDW's mistake was throwing the baby out with the bathwater... generic rock music and loud obnoxious characters screaming and telling awful Hollywood one-liners changed the whole tone of the place. That we don't need. But as I said above, the Lilo Hawaiian numbers and a themed Elvis number... fit perfectly into the Tiki Room show structure and tone... but with a modern spin. Keeping a few of the original elements, such as the Tiki Room Song opening and exit, would also be appropriate.

Otherwise, you're right... they'll never reinvest in it (at least until there is new, wise upper management - - a risky gamble that will ever happen). This is a great chance to fix things up, as the sequels and series are being planned and they inted to keep this franchise going for a long while.

Anybody write Dole with this suggestion?

Gemini Cricket
07-15-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
WDW's mistake was throwing the baby out with the bathwater... generic rock music and loud obnoxious characters screaming and telling awful Hollywood one-liners changed the whole tone of the place. That we don't need.
However, the WDW Tiki Room got a cool new articulate Animatronic figure. I forget her name, but it was a plus.
:)

merlinjones
07-15-2002, 04:42 PM
>>However, the WDW Tiki Room got a cool new articulate Animatronic figure. I forget her name, but it was a plus.<<

Yeah that AA Tiki Goddess was way cool... but I hated the loudmouth show, script and non-Polynesian selection of material.

stan4d_steph
07-15-2002, 05:22 PM
I have expressed my support of a revamped Tahitian Terrace at this thread. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=7260) Disney Crone/Kid also made a good case at this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=7302) for a Hawaiian themed restaurant.

Tiki room redo would be cool, but it would be nice if they would just get the stuff working that's there now.

kennyhues
07-16-2002, 11:37 AM
Disney did the smart thing when they revamped WDW's Tiki Room - They wrote the objection of the audience into the new script. I think it's Fritz who says, "You can't do that! We've been doing the same show since 1962!" The voice of discontent comes from within the show, beating you to the punch, sort of. Besides, the two songs everyone loves the most ("Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing" and "In the Tiki-Tiki-Tiki-Tiki Room") are still in the show for everyone to sing along with. They also cast Iago as a crass, greedy interloper, who "ruins" the show and gets his comeuppance for trashing the vaunted Tiki Room. The Tiki Goddess becomes angry and blows him up. I expected to hate it but was quite entertained. If you're going to "destroy" a classic, this is the way to do it.

The show could begin as always and then all he** could break loose when Stitch shows up, maybe hiding from Jumba and Pleakley. With Lilo in tow, they have to blend into the show in order to escape detection. Perfect opportunity for Stitch to don the Elvis wig and suit and sing Blue Hawaii or something. Completeley silly. Jumba and Pleakley could blow holes in the place a la Muppets 3D, or the Tiki Goddess could decide to defend Stitch because he embraces Ohana (ah - a story with a moral) and blow up his pursuers. If it were as carefully scripted and executed as the WDW version, it could be both a scream and very sweet, just like the movie.

I think this is a fabulous idea, but I agree with the chorus of sad voices who are saying it makes too much sense and is too obviously a good thing, so of course they won't do it. The TDA suits have too bad a case of cranio-rectal insertion to see the genius of this possibility.

As far as treating it as "sacred" because Walt touched it, Walt WANTED Disneyland to constantly change. To keep up with the times. It's US that seem to be resisting change just because it's change. I completely agree, though, that most of the recent changes have been tragic and stupid. But don't pooh-pooh change in general. That was part of Walt's vision.

Gemini Cricket
07-16-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by kennyhues
If you're going to "destroy" a classic, this is the way to do it.
I'd rather have them revamp (destroy) a classic instead of getting rid of it completely. :)

disguy
07-16-2002, 02:45 PM
I see nothing wrong with updating the Ticki Room it does need it but I have to say every show seems to be almost a full house...so really why change it people still go to it. My question is why WDW always getting revamped things WAY before Disneyland. Especially since there are more "regulars" that go to DLR then WDW.

kennyhues
07-16-2002, 03:21 PM
That's a really good question, disguy. Maybe WDW's managers are more efficient, so they're given bigger upkeep and upgrade budgets? Hard to imagine, but perhaps WDW is being run better right now that DLR?

AliKzam
07-16-2002, 05:53 PM
I think the simple thing with Disneyworld is more land= more
park(s). More park(s)=more guests. Do you want to put new stuff where more or less people will see it?
I hate the stupid answer as much as you do. But I bet they chose the stupid answer. The smart answer would be to give the smaller park(s) more money and stuff to compensate for their lack of size.
But, like I said, I bet they chose the stupid answer.

coronamouseman
07-16-2002, 06:15 PM
mj: Lilo and Stitch update of Tiki Room is brilliant!

My opinion would be that Disney would only want to do this if movie is a hit otherwise novelty will fade fast and investment will be worthless. But if movie does well, they would have a lot of great material to choose from to make a cute and clever attraction.

disguy
07-16-2002, 08:17 PM
I think for an Animation movie hitting over 100mil would mean a sucessess (It passed that I belive this weekend) but I guess nowahdays that isan't much money..certainly not as well as The Lion king. I think the tiki idea is a cute one. Somone one brought up Aladdin and Jasmine...do they still have the "oasis dinner" that was tottaly over priced. :)