PDA

View Full Version : Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island

Disney Donna
08-22-2007, 09:23 AM
We've never been to the Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island. Could someone tell me:
(1) What's there to do?
(2) Anything to absolutely not-miss while there?
(3) When's the best time to go?
(4) How much time could a 10-year old boy spend there?
(5) Would a 3-year old girl like it?

Thanks as always!

3duckgirl3
08-22-2007, 09:32 AM
1. All kinds of stuff! Running around the tunnels looking for treasure, bringing pirate skeletons up from the watery depths, posing for endless pictures in the skeleton ball, playing in the tree house...and trying to find the elusive Jack Sparrow!

2. Spend a couple of minutes watching the pirate band...they're fabulous!

3. We went fairly early in the morning...probably around 9...and there were very few other people there. By the time we left (around 10) it was getting crowded. The disadvantage of going then was that we missed the pirate show, but we did get to see Jack running around, hiding from the CMs. I'd go as early as you can, but try to make it back for the show!

4. My 19 year old brother and I loved it and spent almost an hour there...I"m guessing a 10 year old will be able to keep himself occupied for nearly that.

5. You've probably got at least half an hour of fun for her...if nothing else, take some bread for her to throw to the ducks who are always gathered around!

Mostly Anonymous
08-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Basically, think of Tom Sawyer's Island this way -

It's about the most awesome playground your kids will ever see.

Just like any playground, it involves exploring, climbing, going through tunnels, etc. But unlike most playgrounds, it is huge and completely themed. Your 10 year old will probably think it's one of the best things at Disneyland - at that age, an hour on a playground tends to beat out 3 minutes on any ride. Your 3 year old will love it too, you'll just have to keep an eye on her so that she doesn't fall or get run over by a bigger kid.

I can remember when I was around 10, we had a couple of Disneyland trips where my sisters and I insisted that the first place we went had to be Tom Sawyer's Island. I think we would play there until nearly lunchtime!

Malcon10t
08-22-2007, 01:48 PM
We've never been to the Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island. Could someone tell me:
(1) What's there to do?LOTS! My kids (20, 18, and 17) and I spent about an hour there last trip. Escape Artist (18) was bound and determined to pump out the sunken boat. The dog wasn't much help. (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q133/Malcon10t/DogPirates1.jpg)

(2) Anything to absolutely not-miss while there?Everything in the cave. See a path? Take it and see where it goes!

(3) When's the best time to go?For us, in the morning before it gets too warm.

(4) How much time could a 10-year old boy spend there?An hour or two.

(5) Would a 3-year old girl like it?Depends on the girl. Mine were tomboys and would easily have spent 30mins to an hour there.

disneyperson
08-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Some of the effects in the caves might frighten a three year old. If you explore the caves, you might want to go ahead and trigger the effects so they won't surprise the little one.

We liked the new stuff on the island a lot. We were there at around 2:00 and the crowds very light.

Malcon10t
08-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Some of the effects in the caves might frighten a three year old. The caves are also not a good idea for anyone who is claustrophobic. Mine went anyway, and I hung back to give her room behind us and blocked people from getting too far into her "bubble" and her brother went ahead to give her room on either side, but she couldn't do it a second time. But there are some really cool effects in there.

FunMom
08-22-2007, 05:07 PM
When we were in the park with two other families with boys ages 10-12, we found the island to be wonderful. The boys ran free for almost 2 hours - they had such a great time they did not notice the July heat one bit - and they could have stayed even longer. The dads sat in the shade of a picnic bench to rest and wait - while the moms and sisters browsed the shops without rambunctious boys to hurry us.

MickeyDogMom
08-22-2007, 08:33 PM
The caves are also not a good idea for anyone who is claustrophobic. Mine went anyway, and I hung back to give her room behind us and blocked people from getting too far into her "bubble" and her brother went ahead to give her room on either side, but she couldn't do it a second time. But there are some really cool effects in there.

And then my 'genius' sis decides to TOUCH me, to "make me feel better." :rolleyes: Don't ever touch a claustrophobic in a dark area. She knows how lucky she is to be alive.

But the effects are cool, luckily my lil bro could quickly point out all the cool things and I only HAD to leave by the end. I WILL NOT BE GOING IN AGAIN!!! Thinking about it now is making me edgy.

Kids will love it, maybe not easily scared little kids, but the 7+ kids should.

backsthepack
08-23-2007, 05:50 AM
Our 8 year old loved it. Some of the caves didn't work so well for me....way too closed in for me, spooked me a bit when they got crowded. But the additions of all of the pirate stuff to the island is really neat and fun. I believe we spent about an hour or more there.

Malcon10t
08-23-2007, 12:10 PM
And then my 'genius' sis decides to TOUCH me, to "make me feel better." :rolleyes: Don't ever touch a claustrophobic in a dark area. She knows how lucky she is to be alive.We won't talk about what could have happened if the pirate had decided to try and startle you like he was doing to others....

Mickeygirlforever
08-23-2007, 04:10 PM
We thought it was fun! We usually didn't go over to Tom Sawyer's Island....because we'd done it a million times before, but the pirate stuff is fun. Did the skeleton pirates popping up scare anyone else?? Startled me for sure. They have a bunch of interactive stuff which is always fun for kids. Definetely check it out. THey'll have fun.

A Touch of Destiny
08-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Does anyone know how often Jack is there/the best time to see him and get a picture?

VickiC
08-30-2007, 10:01 PM
My 5 year old DD refused to go in any of the caves and kind of freaked out due to the mobs of older kids on the suspension and pontoon bridges. My 8 year old DD thoguht the island was just ok. Neither wanted to linger. Both much prefer the Redwood Creek play area over at California Adventure, they can spend an hour or two there easily.

MauiMickey
09-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Pirate's Lair was a favourite of our two boys 10 and 8, and our friends' kids, 8 and 5. The boys spent two hours roaming the island, particularly enjoying a tour from a pirate named Time Keeper. The pirate show was very well done, and Jack, of course is fantastic. We were even lucky enough to have Jack all to ourselves for 10 minutes before anyone else "found" him!

The only drawback to our trip to Pirate's Lair is the lack of refreshments on the island. Running around in 100 degree heat is very taxing without having access to drinks!

DaddyB
09-02-2007, 09:23 PM
You should check out my photo update from July covering just about everything on Tom Sawyer's Island nowadays... be sure to scroll your mouse over the pictures from inside the cave!!!

http://www.visionsfantastic.org/daddyb/2007_07_14_Update/PiratesLair/PiratesLair_Update.htm

enjoy!