PDA

View Full Version : Food [Disney Dining] Plan - Are they worth it?

Always4Tide
08-22-2007, 08:50 AM
I am about to book a trip for March, arethe Meal Plans worth it?

Greg in TN
08-22-2007, 08:57 AM
Up thru this year I thought the DDP was an incredible value :D and we booked it for every trip we took. It usually turned out that our counter-service meals & snacks were basically "free" because of the daily cost of the plan vs the menu price of our table-service meals. But with the changes they're making to the plan for '08 (no longer includes tip & only includes dessert--not dessert & appetizer--for table service meals, and only reducing the price by $1.00 :confused:) I'm still evaluating.

Maybe those changes are not really a big deal, but it's just not what it used to be. :mad:

It'll be interesting to hear from people in '08 who book the plan--both those that had been on the plan in previous years, and those who would be brand new to the plan.

danyoung
08-22-2007, 09:00 AM
That's an interesting question - a lot has been written about the Disney Dining Plan, and whether it's worth it or not. The 2008 version of the plan has been cut back from past incarnations. You no longer get an appetizer - only the meal, dessert and a non-alcoholic beverage. Also the 18% tip is no longer included. You can still eat enough food to save some money on the plan. For me it just wasn't worth the extra hassle of planning to make sure I used up all of my options. Also I really enjoy eating at the restaurants that are normally 2 table service credits, like the California Grill and the Brown Derby, so it made it that much harder for me to come out ahead. But if you do the math and it looks like it will come out in your favor, go ahead and book it.

Andrew
08-22-2007, 09:28 AM
I am about to book a trip for March, arethe Meal Plans worth it?
This is a pretty common topic/question in the WDW forum. Here are some recent threads to get you started:

Need advice on Dining and ADR's? Come inside! (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=71664&highlight=dining+plan)
Phone call from Disney re: dining plan (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=76061&highlight=dining+plan)
Dining Plan Changes... What Do You Think? (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=75107&highlight=dining+plan)

Search the WDW forum on "dining plan" for more.

HILNDKID
08-22-2007, 09:51 AM
We have been considering using the dining plan for our November trip this year.
We are not big eaters and do not want to have the sit down meals each day if we don't want to, so we have opted to not use it for these reasons.

For us, we would eat more than we normally would and spend more on food.

Good Luck!

scoobydooby
08-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Ok I've just done a reasonably careful take on the maths for this, assuming a 5 day DDP deal for (our) family of 4. Assuming we paid a 20% tip for all our TS meals, wuld you believe that using the DP would have saved us 50 cents!! Now - I REALLYmust go and get on with my real life....

tjrj
08-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Agree with Greg on this one. Pre-'08, I thought the plan was a great deal.

The '08 plan looks more complicated. Not simply the "no starter" thing-but the fact that tip is not included. That means one has to budget for the tip, carry the cash or charge to the room and you only save a dollar over previous cost of the DDP.

Mary at mousesavers.com had done a good analysis of the '07 DDP, I would imagine that an analysis for '08 is either up or on the way.

frdeb1999
08-22-2007, 04:39 PM
I think in the end it's just a matter of if you would really eat that many meals to begin with. And one big factor for us is that I love having everything paid in advance. It still will be in the future.....you'll just have to budget tips, but if your like me I just like the convience and knowing it's all done before I get there.

GusMan
08-22-2007, 06:31 PM
As a result of our last trip, I have a new take on the dining plan...
Can it be a great deal? Yes. It sure can but only if you are a big eater or plan on eating at some of the most expensive places.

However.... Here is what I saw as downsides:

If you have kids on the plan 10 and older, they have to pay as an adult. Now, if you have kids that can wolf down food like nobody's business, then you can make out like a bandit. However, if they dont... then your cost to value ratio kinda goes down.

It can be an overwhelming amount of food. Now, me being a big guy who loves to eat, I cant even believe I just wrote that. However, when it was so hot at the parks last week, I did not have the same appatite that I normally had after a day touring the parks. (From past experience, I would say that this was not really a problem during the cooler off-season.) There were times were we would just skip dessert or a meal altogether just because we were just not hungry. This would also be the case for snacks or CS meals as well. But after doing some math in our head, we still broke even or came out ahead but that was mainly because we got a lot of expensive meals for the TS credits.

Another drawback is that for the most part, kids who have child credits have to choose from the kids menu. Kids who have adult credits may not want to choose from the adult menu but yet dont want the kids fare either. I really think that Disney needs to come up with some sort of package and options for those who are between the ages of 9 and 13 so they can enjoy meals and portions that are more suited for them. Sure, you can talk to your server to see what kind of special arrangement they can make for your kids, such as kids portions of adult meals, etc, but Im not sure we have enough feedback from others as to if people have been widely successful in doing so.

Now, as for our next trip, we are planning to do without the DDP and do more CS meals as well as sharing meals so we dont get bogged down with food. And believe it or not, there are many very good CS places in the parks and the resorts - and Im not talking about your standard burger/pizza/hotdog fare either. Example: We had a real good meal at Artists Palette at SSR one evening while we were walking around DTD.

rosie
08-23-2007, 01:38 PM
I thought of using the DDP for my upcoming trip, but in the end decided to stay at a DTD hotel. My reason? Room Service. My DD and I love having at least on breakfast in bed and one in room dinner. Most Moderates do not even offer real room service (don't get me started...pizza does not count!). Considering DD and I are not big eaters and I do not like having to plan ADR's a billion years in advance, (no flames please, I do have at least two for my upcoming trip) in the end it wasn't a good value for us. The more I read the happier I am with my choice.

littlej
08-24-2007, 10:48 AM
You won't get flamed, rosie. I don't think any of us are actually happy about having to make ADRs so far in advance. I don't even know what I feel like having for dinner tonight, much less in December.
That's a good point that you brought up, though. I like having breakfast in the room while I'm getting ready. Sometimes donuts or untoasted bagels are enough, but not the same. I know it's a bad example, but on the couple of cruises I've been on, room service (full menu) costs no extra (aside from tip) than eating in the main dining room, which is included in the package. Disney now lets you use the DP for room service if it's available, but it costs 2TS! That's ridiculous.

mom22gls
08-24-2007, 05:12 PM
We are in the midst of a vacation on the Dining Plan now, and I am getting more frustrated with the general lack of flexibility. Our TS usage is fine, mostly buffets, so the kids are not stuck with the kids' meals very much. We have found ourselves sharing counter service meals, just to keep from too much overeating, and will end up with more substantial breakfasts for a couple of days, just to use up the credits. At the same time, we have almost used up all our snack credits, having actually used a couple for substantive lunch items for a kid who did not happen to like the limited offerings at the counter service place. This evening, we were going to do a counter service dinner, and planned to walk over to Epcot, but there was a heavy thunderstorm, so we ended up paying cash for dinner at the hotel (at least I was able to use my DDE card, at Beaches and Cream). I'm getting tired of so much planning, but the real dealbreaker is not including the gratuity anymore. It was easy to calculate if we would save money, based on that factor. Next year, we have two trips planned, mostly at DVC resorts, so we will prepare a simple breakfast for ourselves, and just use the DDE card for TS meals, which at least covers the gratuity. We don't need both appetizer and dessert at a TS meal, and are getting used to sharing counter service meals, so we'll be better off that way.

ochibiyo
08-29-2007, 07:17 AM
HI again! I have some questions on the Disney Dining Plan. Is it worth it? I mean I understand that for dinner you should order the most expensive meal for your points. But what about your snacks and the other meal. For anyone who has done this, could you please jot down a day and where you went for a single park. We will be visiting the Magic Kingdom, MGM and Epcot. Thanks for all the info, it has been a huge help!!

DisneylandForever
08-29-2007, 07:36 AM
HI again! I have some questions on the Disney Dining Plan. Is it worth it? I mean I understand that for dinner you should order the most expensive meal for your points. But what about your snacks and the other meal. For anyone who has done this, could you please jot down a day and where you went for a single park. We will be visiting the Magic Kingdom, MGM and Epcot. Thanks for all the info, it has been a huge help!!

IMO it is totally worth it.

I always park hop, but I'll list an example of what I would get in one day in one park, and what the cost would be if I had paid cash:

Epcot - Counter Service lunch anywhere in the World Showcase (15 bucks), Snack - drink or ice cream (2-3 bucks), Table Service dinner at the Coral Reef (50-60 bucks). Total value: 67-78 dollars

MK - CS lunch at Cosmic Ray's (20 bucks), Snack - drink or ice cream (2-3 bucks), TS Dinner at one of the monorail resorts as I prefer them to the TS's inside the MK (40-50 bucks). Total value: 62-73 dollars.

Those are just two random samples of places I'd eat at, per your request. When you park-hop or even visit resorts you can totally mix it up and try all kinds of different cuisines. If you have any other questions just let us know!

mom22gls
08-29-2007, 07:55 AM
HI again! I have some questions on the Disney Dining Plan. Is it worth it? I mean I understand that for dinner you should order the most expensive meal for your oints. But what about your snacks and the other meal. For anyone who has done this, could you please jot down a day and where you went for a single park. We will be visiting the Magic Kingdom, MGM and Epcot. Thanks for all the info, it has been a huge help!!

When are you going? The responses will probably vary, depending on whether we are discussing the plan in 2007 or 2008. Next year, there will be changes in the plan, which will decrease the value. Currently, an 18% gratuity is included in the plan, next year, tips will not be included. Currently, for table service places, with plated entrees, both appetizer and dessert are included; next year, no appetizer. The cost next year will only decrease very slightly, not enough to make up for the tips. We have done the plan several times, but I probably won't after the changes go into effect. Generally, especially with kids, I find the buffets a better value. The kids meals are limited and repetitive; a lot of mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, and pizza. At a buffet, the kids have the same variety as the adults; there will probably be a kids' section, with the usual, but they are not limited to that. We were just at WDW last week, on the plan, two adults, two kids (under 10). These were our AR's (heavy on character meals, especially princesses, for our little girls). We were in a DVC villa, and did breakfast in our villa.:

1st night: Boma, buffet at Animal Kingdom Lodge (1TS). Many people consider this one of the best buffets on property, as there are some different dishes you won't find elsewhere. Both my kids ate quite a bit of the prime rib.

We had just arrived at our hotel (Saratoga Springs) at lunchtime, and did counter service at the resort, just for the convenience.

next day: Princess Storybook Lunch at Akurshus (Norway at Epcot), 1 TS

dinner was counter service

next day: no TS, we did 2 CS meals. Best deal-Cosmic Rays at MK. We ordered two rib and chicken platters, which easily fed the family, with leftovers. The cost would have been about $14 each, but it's one CS credit.

next day; we did not use any TS credits. Date night for parents at Artist's Point, at the Wilderness Lodge. I used my Disney Dining Experience card (20% discount, including alcohol). Kids were fed at the Cubs Den babysitting center. we had CS lunch.

next day. dinner at Chef Mickey's (Contemporary Hotel), 1 TS. Very popular place. Again, lunch was CS.

next day: lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table (2 TS). This is the hot ticket, call exactly 6 months ahead, and be on the line at 7AM EST for AR's. That's when I called, and this was the only day open. Again, dinner was CS.

next day: counter service lunch (two of us were at the Japan Pavillion, which is one of our favorites). Dinner at Cape May Buffet at the Beach Club. 9 year old consumed 6 large plates of steamed clams, at a kids' price. We had a bunch of counter service credits left, because we had shared meals, so we used most up at the Beach Club Marketplace for breakfast. There are no full counter service meals there, but they let us take several bottles of water, apples, etc. consumed over the course of the day.

last day (check out, but late flight): had lunch at LeCellier (Canada at Epcot), to use up the last of our TS credits. The tab, with no alcohol, would have been over $100. Again, a popular choice.

Snacks: I ordered a case of bottled water, from a grocery delivery service, but we still ended up using several snack credits for drinks, even though we carried some of our own. It's very hot in August, and we drank a lot. Some of the best snack deals: Pineapple Float at Aloha Isle, at MK, at $3.99, a maximum value. Also, the McFlurry's at the McDonald's Refreshment Port, as you enter the World Showcase at Epcot, also $3.99. The kids had popcorn and ice cream/popsicles several times.

tjrj
08-29-2007, 08:31 AM
ITA with Mom22gls-if you're going in '07(like we did) then DDP is definitely worth it. As of January 1st, it's going to be more difficult to decide-the tip not being included and the dessert only rather than starter and dessert(or at least the choice of one of the other) could be a deal-breaker for me.

Sample days: Mom and 2 teenage boys

breakfast in room-using snack credits-$4.99 pineapple for me(1 snack)(with a granola bar from home)-along with coffee ; 1/2. gal of milk(1 snack) and box of donuts(1 snack)-purchased from the resort store for the boys.

lunch at Coral Reef-3 TS-$125-NOT including the glass of wine I had. Again, this is including the tip.

dinner at Wolfgang Puck's Express-3CS-$50+ NOT including the glass of wine I had. Brownies saved for breakfast the next day.

Or:

breakfast at resort food court. 2 CS for boys getting waffles and bacon or eggs, potatoes, sausage, refillable mug with hot chocolate(2 drinks each saved for later in the day-bottled juice, milk, water). 1 snack credit for Mom for bagel along with coffee in refillable mug.

Lunch: 2 CS at Cosmic Rays-roasted chicken, carrots(yummy!-it must be the glaze), red mashed potatoes, chocolate cake for dessert. Plenty of all of us.

Dinner: Contemporary-3TS-$95 3 starters(salad, onion rings, soup) 3 entrees(roasted chicken, steak and fish), 3 drinks(coffee, 2 sodas), 3 desserts(creme brulee, key lime pie, ice cream-plus a glass of white wine. Tip included.

Snacks: MK-dole whip; DTD: Goofy's Candy Company-chocolate dipped pretzels; brownie.

ochibiyo
08-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks everyone, the info so far is helping me a lot! Mom2gls, we will be staying the Saratoga Springs as well in October of 07. So I believe from your menu and from tjrj's menu, we will probably go with the dining plan. I think the buffet idea is great! Also Mom2gls, which grocery delivery service do you use and do you have to be in the room when it arrives or can front desk hold it for you? Thanks again!

mom22gls
08-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks everyone, the info so far is helping me a lot! Mom2gls, we will be staying the Saratoga Springs as well in October of 07. So I believe from your menu and from tjrj's menu, we will probably go with the dining plan. I think the buffet idea is great! Also Mom2gls, which grocery delivery service do you use and do you have to be in the room when it arrives or can front desk hold it for you? Thanks again!

I used www.gardengrocer.com. You can go to their website, and place your order and pay for it online, and you also select a two-hour window for delivery. You give them your cell, and they will call you to confirm that you are there. You can order a lot of non-food items as well, so if you will be needing bulky or heavy personal items, you can have them delivered. I had them deliver some liquid items like sunscreen, etc., which add a lot of weight to the luggage. The gardengrocer delivery charge was only $12, for our order of about $100. I have also used www.wegoshop.com, in the past, and liked that service. As far as delivery, the first time we used gardengrocer, last summer, they were running late, but delivered it to our room. This time, the deliveryman called a little early. We had just checked in, but weren't at our room quite yet. He did deliver to the room, but said he was "supposed to" deliver the stuff to bell services. Bell services can keep your perishables cold, but it would be less convenient to get your items from them. Bell services at the larger resorts have golf carts to get around, and I suppose they would bring you your items when they could, with you in the room. I would confirm delivery methods with them, even though we got our stuff delivered to the room with no problem. If you are a DVC owner, Disney does have its own grocery delivery service (the order form is on the DVC website), and I think they bring everything to the room. They had less variety, and did not have bottled water by the six-pack or case, which was one of the main things I wanted.

danyoung
09-05-2007, 10:16 AM
I mean I understand that for dinner you should order the most expensive meal for your points.

I don't think this is the situation at all. Let's do a little math here, rounding off the DDP to $38 a day. Your snack is going to be an average of $3, leaving you $35. A fast food lunch is going to be around $12 to $15. Let's say $13, leaving you with $25 for dinner.

Dessert will be around $7, leaving you $18. And a drink will be around $2, leaving you $16. At practically all of the dining locations within Disney World, the cheapest entree will be more than $16. So you don't need to get the $32 hunka-steak just to get your money's worth. Get what you feel like eating, and don't worry that you're getting the most for your money.

littlej
09-05-2007, 11:55 AM
I have to agree with Dan here. I made the same mistake the first time we used the plan, and automatically ordered the most expensive items. But when I sat down and priced everything out using the menus at allearsnet, I came up with the same formula. No matter what you order, you're still saving money. What my DH and I like to do is make sure that we each order different items for each course so that we can try twice as many things on the menu.

DoodleMushyBoo
09-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi!

My fiance and I went to Disney this past holiday season and used the dining plan. Minus one annoying hiccup (the cards had to be chnged on new years eve and then gave us issues once or twice) it was a great thing. It allowed us more food than i could ever eat. It really depends on what your'e looking for but i hate carrying lots of money around for food and i know at least once or twice we got sooooo much for the $40 / person / day that it cost.

Let me put it like this.

Each day you get a snack, a fast food meal and a dinner:

So say you go to Epcot. You start your day and get a water:
Normally like $3?

Then you get lunch at the fast food place near innoventions:
Chicken Fingers, a soda, and a cookie.
Normally like $10ish?

Then you eat dinner at France
You get a salad, a dinner meal, a desert and a drink.
Normally like what? $30-$35 per person?

So my day (at minimum i'd say) is about $50 per person. Well, youre already saving $10/day!
I liked it, i'd do it again in a heartbeat.

but again, its not for everyone.

danyoung
09-12-2007, 11:46 AM
...but i hate carrying lots of money around for food ...

I'm glad the plan worked out for you, but I just wanted to challenge the above a little bit. Since your room key card is also your charge card while on property, there is really no need to carry any cash, except for maybe a snack here or there. It all goes on the card, which is then billed with your room charge to your credit card. Simple and easy!

pennymaggie
09-18-2007, 03:56 PM
We have had the Dining Plan for the last 4 trips to Disney World and it could not have been better. BUT, you have to make ADR's or your stuck findng a place to eat. Since they have instituted the Dining Plan, most people now make ADR's so getting in some Table Restaurant is difficult unless there is bad weather or someone cancels. In 2008, the Dining Plan gets a little bit more expensive or for the same price you do not get a appetizer. BUT, there is so much food, it is hard to eat it all unless you have a real big appetite. Also, if you plan on going to a Magic Kingdom Resort or any big restaurant, it does cost more in points, so you have to figure on paying for a counter service, etc. We cannot imagine going to Disney World without the Dining Plan anymore. Good Luck.:)