PDA

View Full Version : Oh Pocahontas??? Where are you???

Rallymonkey23
07-11-2002, 10:55 PM
I remember reading here on MP awhile back that there was a Pocahontas show in DCA...... Anyone know what happened to it?
I thought it would be cool to see, but never heard anything more about it. And I always forget to ask questions while I'm at the parks, but that's what you are all for right? :D Any info would be great!

Uncle Dick
07-11-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
I remember reading here on MP awhile back that there was a Pocahontas show in DCA...... Anyone know what happened to it?
I thought it would be cool to see, but never heard anything more about it. And I always forget to ask questions while I'm at the parks, but that's what you are all for right? :D Any info would be great!
As I understand, from reading some "other" message boards, the Pocahontas show with a Meeko animatronic was just a "test" either to gauge audience reaction or just figure out the practically of such a production. I guess it didn't pan out because the last time I stopped by the Ahwahnee Camp Circle, the Legend Keepers were telling their Indian stories. BTW, the Legend Keepers are worth a visit. I felt a little silly being the only "big kid" around during the showing I attended, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the presentation. At any rate, the Legend Keepers are more entertaining than Club Buzz and Mickey's Detective School combined.

cemeinke
07-11-2002, 11:37 PM
Yes the Pocahontas & Meeko show was a one day event - as we discovered first hand after going to DCA to see it the following week :( It was supposedly very cool according to those who actually saw it, the animatronic supposely was great.

As for other Pocahontas sightings, we saw her last week from the hub heading backstage. It seems she was making an appearance over in Frontierland. We only saw her briefly, and the sighting sparked some conversations as to whether or not it was a CM, or some guest-fan because the cosutme seemed a bit too risque for Disney (have you seen Tarzan's costume lately :rolleyes: ).

In any event, keep your eyes open - you'll never know what characters may happen your way. ;)

MammaSilva
07-12-2002, 05:24 AM
we caught a glimpse of her in the front of the park, near the Mickey floral one day during our visit but she was heading back stage so no pics/autographs and we didn't see her again during that trip, it was the first time we had seen her in several years

Dawnie
07-12-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

As I understand, from reading some "other" message boards, the Pocahontas show with a Meeko animatronic was just a "test" either to gauge audience reaction or just figure out the practically of such a production. I guess it didn't pan out because the last time I stopped by the Ahwahnee Camp Circle, the Legend Keepers were telling their Indian stories. BTW, the Legend Keepers are worth a visit. I felt a little silly being the only "big kid" around during the showing I attended, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the presentation. At any rate, the Legend Keepers are more entertaining than Club Buzz and Mickey's Detective School combined.

My 7 year old and I caught a story in the afternoon 3-4 weeks ago. She loved it. It was a story about a Mama Bear and her cubs. It was told by a tall guy with dark hair and wearing a bearskin like tunic. :D They only improvement we'd suggest would be that it be longer. It was all of like 10 minutes max. Oh yea and I think I remember him passing out stickers prior to the show.

d

Cadaverous Pallor
07-12-2002, 10:55 AM
I believe a quick stop at City Hall in the morning would tell you where your favorite characters will show up during the day. I've never done this myself, and I'm making an assumption here. Can anyone back me up?

MammaSilva
07-12-2002, 11:04 AM
we've stopped a few times to find out when/where to find characters and they've always been able to tell us if the one we are searching for will be out and about

Pony Sugrue
07-12-2002, 11:31 AM
Pocohontas in DCA?

THat makes a lot of sense; placing an east coast legend in a West Coast theme park. Maybe the HOLLYWOOD BACKLOT thing is a loophole for her though.

DisneyFreak2000
07-12-2002, 11:38 AM
>>THat makes a lot of sense; placing an east coast legend in a West Coast theme park. Maybe the HOLLYWOOD BACKLOT thing is a loophole for her though.<<

Well, to me when you think about it. It all fits in. Pocahontas could fit in perfectly in GRRRA because it all has this woodsy feeling to it over there. Lilo and Stitch could fit in perfectly in Paradise Pier because it has that edgy surfer attitude that the movie had. Millionare could fit in to the Backlot because it is a TV production just as Tower of Terror could fit in back there because of HOLLYWOOD TOT.

What I'm getting to is if you ignore the California theme (and I know that's sort of a stupid and sort of obvicous thing to say) but if you ignore the theme everything fits in.

But when you add the theme and when people think about it, certain things dont fit in. I read on a nother post... if they were to take out the CALIFORNIA and make it Disney's Adventure or sometihng then it would all fit in well... considering none of the attractions solely rely on the park being DCA.

Ok, that post is sorta wierd. Just understand it! I command you to!

justagrrl
07-12-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFreak2000
>>

What I'm getting to is if you ignore the California theme (and I know that's sort of a stupid and sort of obvicous thing to say) but if you ignore the theme everything fits in.

Well...that sums it up rather nicely. :) I think for most of the public, they don't think about she was on the east coast vs. west coast. They think indians in a forrest area - sounds good. (I'm guessing that's what they think, anyway)

Pony Sugrue
07-13-2002, 01:04 PM
Why not have a POCAHONTAS show in EPCOT's Canada pavilion too. There are Totem poles there. Sure she's not dressed accurately for a northwestern tribe.. but who cares, right?

I don't think Walt would have allowed this. He seemed to want not only for everything to be fun, but also to be somewhat educational or at least not mis-leading or confusing.

That's why the JUNGLE CRUISE doesn't put a tiger right next to a lion. The different parts of the river are regionally sectioned; leaving the tiger in the INDIA section. I know this is something most guests don't think about (I'm like oh my God... it's like a cat in a jungle, right?), but kids should know more about things like this... or at least not have a geographical mis-match like east-coast POCAHONTAS in a west-coast CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE.

They could put her in FRONTIERLAND because it is more generically and vaguely themed to AMERICA's past/geography. Blame the new Disney Regime for "painting themselves into a theming corner" with the "California" tag. I'm sure some of these Disney folks are aware of their properties' proper environments. I mean they won't put her in New Orleans Square or Tomorrowland, but if they can add life support to the money vaccum across the way, then by all means...

merlinjones
07-13-2002, 04:54 PM
It seems to me if they needed a reason to reinvest and retheme Tom Sawyer's Island, Pocahontas would fit perfectly. Simply freshen the caves, rocks and bridges and place a real Indian Village and small amphitheatre beyond the (now friendly) Fort Wilderness. Bring back a waterfall to compliment the freshen up.

Kuzcotopia
07-13-2002, 05:46 PM
I agree with you, Disneyfreak....

To me, the main problem with the California theme is that the designers are sticking TOO close to it. But when they take what they've got and add to it, great things can happen.

Like Blast! How relevant is a Broadway stage show about marching bands to a Hollywood movie studio? Not at all. But it fits the overall feeling of show-business and a stage musical is a lot like a live version of a movie musical. Even an Aladdin stage show is fine because of the general idea of show-business. I can think of nothing worse than trying to "California-ize" Aladdin. Imagine Aladdin and Jasmine in big sunglasses on vacation, UGH!

Let's look across the Entrance Plaza, shall we.

WHAT is good heavens is Star Tours doing in Tomorrowland! That takes place a long time ago in a galaxy far far away! This isn't about the world of tomorrow! It's a space fantasy that happened once upon a time! That should be in Fantasyland!

What is The Enchanted Tiki Room doing in Adventureland? Hawaii is in the United States of America, it's not in Africa or Asia! What kind of adventure takes you to another state? What's next, the New Jersey ride?

What is Pirates of the Caribbean doing in New Orleans? Don't these idiots know that New Orleans is nowhere near the Caribbean? The Caribbean is way on the other side of Cuba, what gives? Why didn't they stick with the New Orleans theme and make a Mardi Gras ride instead? Or why isn't the land called Little Havana Square?

You see where being too literal can hurt you? I say, give us the feelings of California, not merely the facts.

cemeinke
07-15-2002, 09:06 PM
Pocahontas was out Sunday afternoon. Here's a pic of her and me catching some shade outside the Frontierland Fudge Shop:

http://www.linkline.com/personal/cemeinke/img/Pocahontas.jpg

Also, Prince Phillip made an appearance with Aurora in front of the castle. Quite a brave prince to venture into such heat wearing black velvet and tights. Then again, what's a little weather when you've slayed dragons?

http://www.linkline.com/personal/cemeinke/img/Prince%20Phillip.jpg

tinkfreak
07-15-2002, 09:19 PM
I saw him while I was eating lunch today, minus the hat. What's up with that hat!!!!?? That's not the hat from the animated film! Isn't it supposed to be a cap like thing with a feather in it?

Rallymonkey23
07-15-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Pocahontas was out Sunday afternoon. Here's a pic of her and me catching some shade outside the Frontierland Fudge Shop:

http://www.linkline.com/personal/cemeinke/img/Pocahontas.jpg

Hey! Cool! She was in the same spot today. My daughter was in awe since she has never actually seen her doing an autograph session. Unfortunately she didn't have her autograph book. Maybe we'll get lucky and she will be there tommorrow.

Bill Catherall
07-16-2002, 07:45 AM
Since when does Prince Phillip wear a top hat? :confused: That looks sooooooo wrong!

Bill Catherall
07-16-2002, 09:46 AM
Alright. Since that hat was bugging me so much I had to do an image search and found some more Prince Phillip pictures. Sometimes he wears a hat in the park and sometimes he doesn't. You can find the pictures here (http://home.earthlink.net/~jclinard/princess.htm) with some good ones from the other princesses and princes as well.

Here's one (http://home.earthlink.net/~jclinard/auroraphillip.jpg) without the hat. (This is how I'm used to seeing him. And this is how he appears in the movie.)
And another one (http://home.earthlink.net/~jclinard/aurophil.jpg) with the hat.

So, have I sufficiently proven how weird I am that I would obsess over something like this? :D

cemeinke
07-16-2002, 05:03 PM
Since this appears an issue - here's a better look at his hat (from Sunday):

http://www.linkline.com/personal/cemeinke/img/Philliphat.jpg

mousey_girl
07-16-2002, 08:23 PM
That is close to the type of hat he had in the forrest, when she began dancing with the animals. I looked on my WDCC piece and it was brown, not black and not quite as tall as the one in the pic.

merlinjones
07-16-2002, 09:17 PM
You are totally right to freak out. That seemingly Pilgrim style hat (I'll wager it originally belonged to some Pocahontas character) is completely off-period for Prince Phillip.

In the film he wears a peasant style hunting cap with feather (along with his hunting outfit). In the end of the film he wears a formal tunic sort-of like this one with no hat. Either way, a formed, boxed hat like this one is defintely not "fourteenth century".

Nice to see a cute Phillip, though. Get rid of the hat and get out the Brylcreem.