PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Casts and braces

Snowducks
08-20-2007, 12:13 PM
One of our travel party for September just badly sprained his ankle.:(

If he is wearing a walking boot (not cast) will he be allowed on rides?

Malcon10t
08-20-2007, 12:36 PM
One of our travel party for September just badly sprained his ankle.:(

If he is wearing a walking boot (not cast) will he be allowed on rides?Yes. The question will be, if an E-Stop occurs, can he walk off. (Remember, CMs cannot physically assist you.) He needs to know that even on POTC, there are stairs to climb if they have to evac the ride. The one ride that could be a problem will be BTMRR. He needs to be able to walk down a long narrow stairpath on the mountain without assistance. Now, as long as he can do it, and it doesn't matter if it takes him 2 hours to do, riding is not a problem. Just be aware, they cannot assist him. Most people roll their eyes and say "Don't worry, it NEVER breaks down", but with my luck, I would ride and it would break down and I'd have to scoot down on my backside....

kohl
08-20-2007, 02:15 PM
My daughter was in a walking boot last January and she went on every ride and not one CM said anything to her about it. It will be fine.

Malcon10t
08-20-2007, 03:03 PM
My daughter was in a walking boot last January and she went on every ride and not one CM said anything to her about it. It will be fine.
Right, the CMs usually won't. Only ride they on occasion have asked is on BTMRR, as it is a steep climb down. I just wanted to make sure they were forewarned he would need to be able to walk out without a CMs assistance.

NightKidsGTR
08-20-2007, 09:02 PM
The only time I've heard a CM say something to a guest was on Tower of Terror where a guest in a wheelchair was going to ride in the same elevator as me. He asked the guest if he could walk up the two steps, as he unforunately positioned in the back row.

Snowducks
08-21-2007, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the information. . that is really a load of our minds!:D

Katran
08-21-2007, 07:49 AM
If people in wheelchairs can go on the rides, anyone can. I was on BTMRR with a severely handicapped man who could not walk or even stand. He appeared to have little to no control over his body at all. His family members had to help him in and out of the ride, but CM's did help by making sure they had plenty of room to do so (in fact, they asked us to stand back and wait a bit, and we were happy to do so).

Malcon10t
08-21-2007, 10:59 AM
If people in wheelchairs can go on the rides, anyone can. I was on BTMRR with a severely handicapped man who could not walk or even stand. He appeared to have little to no control over his body at all. His family members had to help him in and out of the ride, but CM's did help by making sure they had plenty of room to do so (in fact, they asked us to stand back and wait a bit, and we were happy to do so).That is really strange. My step dad could not ride because he could not board the ride in their time frame (the train in the station too long generates an e-stop, and the ride shuts down.) My step dad was in an ECV, but was mobile. (He had Guillian Barre, and walks slowly and has difficulty with getting in and out of rides.) He rode Screamin, but BTMRR, they couldn't allow him the time to get into the ride (we had my brother and son to help him in and out of rides faster. Screamin, they literally jumped out of their seats, and grabbed him and lifted him out of the car, and he isn't a little man!) This was April 2006. MickeyDogMom has gone in a boot or braces most of her trips between 13 and 19. The boot has never really been an issue (other than space in the ride, and she can tell you how to adjust) and I just wanted to point out if you were e-stoped on BTMRR, you would have to walk down the stairs. If that would bother his ankle, he might want to skip it. BUT, you can take forever walking out!

Katran
08-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Maybe it depends on the time of year and how many trains they are running. I'm pretty sure they were running only 2 trains that day, one on each side, though we went for several days so I could be remembering wrong (some days they ran more trains than others, or even at certain times of the same day). And the family did move pretty quickly. They definitely seemed to have experience with the situation.

sharkie90278
08-24-2007, 10:30 AM
I had foot surgery and was in a bandage and walking boot. I did have a wheelchair but I was allowed on every ride. Usually with much shorter wait times too. I did notice that it is hard getting around in a wheelchair. People take no notice of you whatsoever!!

karebear
08-24-2007, 12:17 PM
I have been to DL many times with a walking boot/cast (the big black one that goes up to your knee) due to having tarsal tunnel syndrome. I don't use a wheelchair because I only need to support and protection from the boot, otherwise I would be crying from the pain in about 30 minutes. Getting in and out of some rides can be difficult, but not impossible. Sometimes I will go to City Hall and get a guest assistance card, but only for use on rides with lots of stairs. There aren't that many of them, so I've given up on the pass and just take my time.

My biggest word of advice for the person if they are walking, is to watch out for the uneven ground. You don't know how many times I have almost fallen over or been run over because I just come to a complete stop. The wooden bridge over to Screamin is the worst. I come to a stop at least 3 times every time I cross the thing.

Snowducks
08-25-2007, 08:31 AM
What is a "Guest Assistance Pass"? Thanks again, everyone for your sharing your experiences. We are much relieved that our trip won't be ruined because one of us can't ride.

Malcon10t
08-25-2007, 09:06 AM
What is a "Guest Assistance Pass"? Thanks again, everyone for your sharing your experiences. We are much relieved that our trip won't be ruined because one of us can't ride.A guest assistance card (its not a pass) is a card you can get at City Hall that will tell cast members how they can assist you. For your friend, they would probably give them the "Stairs Stamp". This stamp would allow your friend to bypass stairs in lines. As an example, in Indy, when you get to the area where you go up the stairs, they would show the card to the CM at the Handicap gate, then take the elevator up and over to the other side and back down. Same on Screamin. On TOT they would have you go to the library on the right.