PDA

View Full Version : Sharing the Grand Cal experience?

Darren
08-18-2007, 03:32 PM
We are going to DLR in Oct and are staying at HoJo. Some friends of ours are going at the same time and are staying at the Grand Cal. Can we as no-guests join them in any of the fun. things like the pool, scavenger hunt, entry into the park etc?

I know we should just stay there but our budget does not allow it on this trip.

carolinakid
08-18-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm not sure about the pool but the other activities you mentioned such as the scavenger hunt & early entry etc. require the showing of your room key to participate. I think you can enter the pool area without going through any kind of ID check but I'm not 100% certain as I've never used the pool myself.

biolabetty
08-18-2007, 06:45 PM
You can enter through the GCH entrance to DCA in the afternoon usually, if you're not a hotel guest. I've been asked for my room key every time I've gone through that entrance in the morning. I've even seen them send a very irate man back to his room to get his card, so it seems that they are pretty strict on this in the first part of the day. I've gone through the entrance in the afternoon when I wasn't a hotel guest.

Darren
08-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Just to clarify we will be with others who are registered guest so I would think we could maybe use their room key to get into pool and other activities.

Malcon10t
08-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Just to clarify we will be with others who are registered guest so I would think we could maybe use their room key to get into pool and other activities.As for EE, they will require the charge slip (not room key) and the charge slip will allow 6 people in. If they only have 3, then 3 others can accompany them.

neverlander
09-03-2007, 05:59 AM
Just to clarify we will be with others who are registered guest so I would think we could maybe use their room key to get into pool and other activities.
Perhaps this won't be an issue in October, but all last week, the pool lounge chairs were claimed or taken in the afternoons. On two of the days, we sat next to groups of people who were not secretive about the fact that they were not staying at the GCH. We were frustrated and angry that some hotel guests were unable to find places to sit, while those not paying for the services took up six to twelve (yes!) lounge chairs in the front row.
If you're crashing the pool, please be sensitive if the resources are limited and the pool is crowded.

DizneyMommy
09-03-2007, 06:10 AM
Perhaps this won't be an issue in October, but all last week, the pool lounge chairs were claimed or taken in the afternoons. On two of the days, we sat next to groups of people who were not secretive about the fact that they were not staying at the GCH. We were frustrated and angry that some hotel guests were unable to find places to sit, while those not paying for the services took up six to twelve (yes!) lounge chairs in the front row.
If you're crashing the pool, please be sensitive if the resources are limited and the pool is crowded.

They could have been staying at DLH or PP and are entitled to use all three pools - I know a childless couple that really enjoy the DLH and stay there but go to the pool at GCH because sometimes there are less kids there than at DLH and it is quieter. But you know, there is no reason why you can't tell the CM in the pool area or snackbar that there are people in the pool who are not guests and they will ask for their key cards - I certainly would. I know, some people would think that is really mean, but you know when you pay that much for a hotel room and people have snuck in on such a crowded day that now YOU can't get a chair, I think it's only fair that they leave.

kikid
09-03-2007, 06:55 AM
They could have been staying at DLH or PP and are entitled to use all three pools

Hmm? I don't think this is correct. I believe the key code only allows access to the hotel pool where you are staying. It would be fun to 'pool-hop'!;)

DizneyMommy
09-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Hmm? I don't think this is correct. I believe the key code only allows access to the hotel pool where you are staying. It would be fun to 'pool-hop'!;)

Granted it has been a couple of years since we personally stayed there because we are local, but the last time we were there that was still the rule - they said we were permitted to use DLH's pool (we never made it to the pool that time to try it, but that was the word from the front desk at GCH). Not sure how you get in, if the same key card works or what, but being that they are all Disney properties I am sure they have some way of linking them to give you access. I've heard other people say the same thing, but I have never actually tried to do it myself.

DLFan
09-03-2007, 10:00 AM
I believe you are no longer allowed to pool hop unless there is maintenance or service on the pool at the hotel at which you are staying. Even a couple of years ago when I stayed at GCH, I asked guest services if we could use the pool at the DLH because one afternoon the GCH pool was closed for "cleaning" after a child had an "issue" in the pool.

I just found this on the DL website:

If you are a DisneylandŽ Hotel or Disney's Paradise PierŽ Hotel Guest, you may use any of the services at either Resort Hotel. You may also use the massage services and Pinocchio's Workshop (children's activities center) at Disney's Grand Californian HotelŽ & Spa for an additional fee (advanced reservations required).
Disney's Grand Californian HotelŽ & Spa services are for the exclusive use for Guests staying at Disney's Grand Californian HotelŽ & Spa only.

We stayed at the GCH recently and had difficulty finding chairs at the pool as well. I would be upset if the reason we couldn't find chairs was that they were being used by people who were not guests of the hotel.

Niwel
09-03-2007, 11:02 AM
things like the pool, scavenger hunt, entry into the park etc?

What scavenger hunt?

DizneyMommy
09-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Well, but I think you can go the other way. In other words, if you are staying at GCH I think they still let you use the other pools, they just don't let people at the other hotels use your pool... maybe because GCH costs a lot more?

And maybe I am totally wrong - wouldn't be the first time... or maybe they jsut changed it since the last time we were there.

neverlander
09-03-2007, 01:54 PM
They could have been staying at DLH or PP and are entitled to use all three pools - I know a childless couple that really enjoy the DLH and stay there but go to the pool at GCH because sometimes there are less kids there than at DLH and it is quieter...

I'm quite sure these two groups were not resort hotel guests.

sandiegorob
09-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Well, but I think you can go the other way. In other words, if you are staying at GCH I think they still let you use the other pools, they just don't let people at the other hotels use your pool... maybe because GCH costs a lot more?

And maybe I am totally wrong - wouldn't be the first time... or maybe they jsut changed it since the last time we were there.

I think for the most part you are correct. Problem is when you ask if it's ok and get conflicting answers. My DLH key has worked at the GCH pool the last few times I have gone. My friends' keys worked as well, they were staying at PPH (their key also worked at the DLH pool). Maybe it's allowed or maybe it's a software glitch. Personally, I don't take issue using the other pools when it's slow but do when it's busy.

katiesue
09-04-2007, 08:28 AM
We were there on Sunday at the Disneyland Hotel. They had to close the pool (someone puked) and we were told we could use any of the other resort pools.

denise
09-05-2007, 08:33 AM
I just called to check on availability for the DLH AP4 rate, and there still isn't any :crying:, BUT, we already have a ressie for the PPH, so I asked the CM if we could use the DLH pool because we would be staying at the PPH and she said "NO". She told me that you need a separate key card for each pool. Sigh. There sure doesn't seem to be any consistency in answers does there?