PDA

View Full Version : What would you liken Space Mountain to? and Splash?

nvmom
08-17-2007, 06:53 AM
I know my dh is going to try and convince me to go on it when we're there next week for our couples trip. :)

I know it's in the dark.... now is it more along the lines of Screamin' (with out the loop) or is it tamer like BTMR?? I like BTMR... but I am a self-proclaimed chicken.

Now, for the water rides.... which is tamer (ie: less scary :) ) Splash or GRR?? Dh has been on GRR, he's never done Splash. It's been down for refurb on our other trips. And are there lockers by Splash like GRR so you can store some dry clothes??

Thanks.

nvmom

cstephens
08-17-2007, 07:01 AM
I know it's in the dark.... now is it more along the lines of Screamin' (with out the loop) or is it tamer like BTMR?? I like BTMR... but I am a self-proclaimed chicken.

I would say that Space is in between Screamin and Big Thunder. There's no loop, but there's also not the big drops that Screamin has, but it's faster than Big Thunder.

Now, for the water rides.... which is tamer (ie: less scary :) ) Splash or GRR?? Dh has been on GRR, he's never done Splash. It's been down for refurb on our other trips. And are there lockers by Splash like GRR so you can store some dry clothes??

I would say that Grizzly River is tamer because it only has the one drop at the end, which isn't that big a drop. Splash has a couple of major drops, including the really long one at the end.

There are no lockers there like there are near Grizzly River.

splash
08-17-2007, 07:02 AM
Splash mountain is gentle for most of the ride, with a couple smaller drops and then the one big one. I find that water rides are gentler than the roller coaster ones. You don't get the big stomach dropping and then are left hanging. They aren't any lockers by splash. If you are concerned about getting wet, either wear a poncho or sit in the middle to back area. It often depends on how much weight is in the log to determine how wet you will get. Definitely avoid the front - wall of water.

Space mountain - I haven't ridden it in years, but my DS told me it is very gentle. His advice is to close your eyes on the beginning with the racing lights (otherwise you can get dizzy). I will try this one this time. If my 13 year old son can do it (he's not a daredevil) then so can I!

danyoung
08-17-2007, 07:05 AM
Space is MUCH smoother since the rehab. If you can handle Big Thunder you can definitely handle Space.

Dakota784
08-17-2007, 07:14 AM
Totally agree with the other opinions on here - Space not worse thet Big Thunder, although it is darker, so maybe is is psychologically a bit more scary. Splash's final drop is intense - but my non-thrill-seaker wife LOVES it. She didn't like Grizzly River because she got so wet (but it wasn't scary - the drops are fairly tame). Have fun, whatever you decide!

Jim Dear and Darling
08-17-2007, 07:37 AM
I don't know.. I find Space a little rougher than Screamin'. Space makes me feel a little sick sometimes, and Screamin' never does. It's definitely jerkier. It's fun though, you should give it a try. It's a short ride, you'll survive. ;)

Now Splash, you can't miss that for the world. Give it a try. There are 2 medium sized drops and then the big one at the end-- which is the best part!

Mostly Anonymous
08-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Space Mountain has a top speed of 32 mph. Thunder Mountain, 28 mph. (36 mph for the Disneyworld version).

So the rides are really very comparable. Space mountain just feels faster because of the dark and the music. But in terms of roughing up your body, Space and Thunder are very similar.

For Splash Mountain, if it helps, remember that the big drop really is not a drop at all - it is a slide. Just a longer slide than you see at most playgrounds!

codewoman
08-17-2007, 08:31 AM
My sister went on Space before the rehab and said she liked it for about the first 30 seconds then couldn't wait for it to be over. This July she rode it and at the end said "Is that it?" It's smooth, all the turns are banked and it's not too fast. The music is good (I hate it too, too loud) and I agree that you should close your eyes during the flashing lights thing at the beginning.

Splash is a dark ride in a log except for the three drops (two small and the one giant one). Except for the giant one, it compares to Pirates in difficulty. The giant one doesn't really drop your stomach and you don't even get very wet (except in the very front). Oh, and it's over very quickly.

I say give them a try and get it over with. Then you can refuse if you don't like them.