PDA

View Full Version : Discover the Magic Tour

DrewR
08-17-2007, 05:50 AM
Hello All! My family and I did the Discover the Magic Tour in December of 2006 and thoroughly enjoyed it. We are in the process of planning our December trip for this year and noticed that the description for the tour on the Disney website appears to be a bit different. Without posting spoilers for the tour in public, has anyone taken the tour this year and is the story/mystery different??

Second Star
08-20-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm not sure which tour is different, besides the new one in DCA. But, if you are going in December this year, I high recommend the Holiday tour *****

We took the Holiday tour last December when we were there just before Christmas. Book the later tour. It gets dark during the tour, but with all the lights and activity it just adds to the moment. Just make sure to keep an eye on your tour guide when is starts getting dark.

Just my 2 cents, but, I'd do again without hesitation.

vicbella2
08-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Without posting spoilers for the tour in public, has anyone taken the tour this year and is the story/mystery different??

We did the Discover the Magic Tour in April 2006 so i can''t really comment on the new Discover the Magic Tour. I believe one of the changes in the new one is that lunch isn't included and has been replaced by a frozen treat. I did notice too that prices are about $10 more than last years.

Geneva
08-20-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm not sure which tour is different, besides the new one in DCA. But, if you are going in December this year, I high recommend the Holiday tour *****

We took the Holiday tour last December when we were there just before Christmas. Book the later tour. It gets dark during the tour, but with all the lights and activity it just adds to the moment. Just make sure to keep an eye on your tour guide when is starts getting dark.

Just my 2 cents, but, I'd do again without hesitation.

We're going in early December and were planning on doing Walk in Walt's Footsteps, but since we already know a ton of trivia about him, maybe the holiday tour would be better. Does anyone have any details about the tour? Mainly what it consists of, how much it costs, and when it might go on sale?

Malcon10t
08-20-2007, 08:46 PM
We're going in early December and were planning on doing Walk in Walt's Footsteps, but since we already know a ton of trivia about him, maybe the holiday tour would be better. Does anyone have any details about the tour? Mainly what it consists of, how much it costs, and when it might go on sale?Its a nice tour. You get preferred seating for the Christmas parade, along with a cookie and a mug of hot chocolate. You get priority entrance to HMH and IASWH. You tour the park and they point out traditions in the various lands. It really is a nice tour.

Mermaid
08-20-2007, 08:53 PM
I did it three years ago and it was like $50. I think it might be $60 now. It was awesome and totally worth it! I am planning on going on it again this year!

Geneva
08-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Ooh, it sounds really fun! Hopefully tickets will go on sale soon. I should keep an eye on the main Disneyland site where they discuss tours, right? Any place else?

Second Star
08-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Ooh, it sounds really fun! Hopefully tickets will go on sale soon. I should keep an eye on the main Disneyland site where they discuss tours, right? Any place else?

Disneyland park site under tours. I thinks it was end of October or early November when saw the tour get posted. Last year, if my memory serves me, the tickets where around $50. I'd do that tour again in a heart beat.

mousemom
08-21-2007, 08:17 PM
I would love to do the Holiday Tour! Does it typically fill up very far in advance or could I wait to sign up when I get there for the week after Thanksgiving?

Exitx
08-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Are there any back stage tours like there are at Disney World? I looked them up on the Disneyland website (Link (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/parks/listing?name=DisneylandParkToursListingPage) ) But the descriptions don't seem to to say if they do or don't. Maybe I am misunderstanding some of the descriptions of the tours.. Any insight?

Second Star
08-22-2007, 04:00 PM
I would love to do the Holiday Tour! Does it typically fill up very far in advance or could I wait to sign up when I get there for the week after Thanksgiving?

I guess you could try to sign up when you get there, but, I don't know if they have a cutoff date. I'd booked our stay DL back in Aug of Sep, then when I saw the Holiday Tour link go up on the Park website, I called and booked the tour for the date and time we wanted.

When we actually took the tour the put together about 10 people and away we went. As I recall, there were 2 or 3 other tour groups headed out just behind us.

Hope this helps

Second Star
08-22-2007, 04:09 PM
Are there any back stage tours like there are at Disney World? I looked them up on the Disneyland website (Link (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/parks/listing?name=DisneylandParkToursListingPage) ) But the descriptions don't seem to to say if they do or don't. Maybe I am misunderstanding some of the descriptions of the tours.. Any insight?

I've never been to WDW (I may possibly correct that situation next year) so, I don't how much of the back stage stuff is truely back stage. I'd heard somewhere that Walt himself was very reluctant to show guests the nuts and bolts that went into the magic for fear it would damage the experience.

We've done the Holiday Tour, and the Walk in Walt's Footstep Tour, and nothing was really backstage stuff. I think the closest you might consider to backstage was standing in the lobby to Club 33. Man! I would love to get an invite to that place.

Geneva
08-22-2007, 04:22 PM
I've never been to WDW (I may possibly correct that situation next year) so, I don't how much of the back stage stuff is truely back stage. I'd heard somewhere that Walt himself was very reluctant to show guests the nuts and bolts that went into the magic for fear it would damage the experience.

We've done the Holiday Tour, and the Walk in Walt's Footstep Tour, and nothing was really backstage stuff. I think the closest you might consider to backstage was standing in the lobby to Club 33. Man! I would love to get an invite to that place.

We did the backstage tour (can't remember what it was called) at WDW a couple of years ago, and it was VERY backstage. They brought us into the "tunnels" beneath the park, as well as backstage behind the rides where the floats were kept, etc. We could see the backside of the rides, which just looked like large, very basic buildings. They showed us the tubes that moved trash throughout the park and everything. It was very interesting!

Malcon10t
08-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Disneyland currently doesn't offer a backstage tour. But the Holiday tour, Discover the Magic, and Walk in Walts Footsteps tour all are great!

DrewR
08-23-2007, 05:42 AM
I called Disneyland twice over the last couple of days and have learned that the Discover the Magic Tour is different now than it was last year. (However, I failed to ask WHEN it had changed...) From the website I know that now you go to 6 attractions (last year was 2-3) and now you get a "frozen treat" (last year was lunch). What I learned from my phone call was that now the 'story' is about a treasure chest and hunting for treasure (last year the 'story' was about returning a lost book to its owner). My kids loved the tour so much I wanted to make sure the story is different before we do the tour again.

If anyone out there has taken the tour since it changed I would love to hear from you!!

Thanks!!

vicbella2
08-23-2007, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the info Drewr. My kids loved the Discover the Magic Tour we did last year. We saved it for our last full day at the park. As soon as we were done with it. They asked if we could book it again for the following day. I've been wanting to do it again as it was so much fun for the whole family. We've have another trip plan in Oct and we'll be going with my sister and her family. I think my 4yo niece would absolutely love it. Now i just need to convince dh to spend more money for it.

DrewR
08-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Your welcome!! Have a wonderful trip!!! If you get a chance post a message about how the tour went!!!!

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
08-23-2007, 12:49 PM
I would love to do the "Discover the Magic" tour with my girls, but the DL website says that it only takes place on the weekends. Does anyone know if they expand tour offerings at different times of the year? We'll be there the week after Thanksgiving, but only during the week.

Also, do you know if the Holiday tour is traditionally offered on weekdays?

vicbella2
08-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Your welcome!! Have a wonderful trip!!! If you get a chance post a message about how the tour went!!!!

Cross you fingers I can convince dh to do it again. We originally booked hojo's at the entertainment rate when we first started planning, but with the great AP rates, we also got ressies at DLH concierge. If we do it, I'll let you know how it went.

DrewR
08-27-2007, 09:06 AM
I would love to do the "Discover the Magic" tour with my girls, but the DL website says that it only takes place on the weekends. Does anyone know if they expand tour offerings at different times of the year? We'll be there the week after Thanksgiving, but only during the week.

Also, do you know if the Holiday tour is traditionally offered on weekdays?

According to DL and our history with taking this tour, it is only offered on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Typically it is NOT offered on the weekend of special events, such as the Candlelight Processional....