PDA

View Full Version : Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular... Is It Live?

cynthia312
08-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Just out of curiousity whether if it's singing or acting, are the actors and actresses live? Everytime my bf and I go watch it, we try to guess if they're live or not....we wanted to say it wasn't, but we wanted to say it was at the same time. Everytime we hear Jasmine's solo, it sounds so much like the previous Jasmines we've heard on our previous trips.

MaraMouse
08-17-2007, 01:33 AM
I believe it's live, last two times I went which was Christmas 05' and Valentines 06', it was the same actor and actress for Aladdin and Jasmine, and I know it too cause I wouldn't forget their faces, we were seated in the first row the first time, and the fifth row the second time.

The guy who plays Aladdin is really handsome, and the girl who plays Jasmine is really pretty, and she has this identifiable way of saying her lines with urgency in her voice.

I'm wondering how many sets of actors they have for this play, since I've only seen that one pair both times. For those of you who are frequent, do you know?

GrumpyGrandma
08-17-2007, 06:20 AM
I've seen the show on several occasions. I believe that it is all live, however I do not know how many pairs play Aladdin and Jasmine. I've seen at least 2 different pairs and the show has always been great.:)

sharkie90278
08-17-2007, 07:52 AM
My friend is an actress and she has auditioned for the role of Jasmine 3 times now--making it to the final cut each time. They told her they rotate the cast every six months. Hopefully one day she'll actually get the job!

DrewR
08-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Yes it is live. We see it every time we go to DLR (usually 1 time a year)! Every time the Genie's jokes change a little to stay 'current'.....

Tisha
08-17-2007, 08:27 AM
It's definitely live. I am always able to distinguish in the voices which Aladdin or Jasmine is speaking/singing. There are 2 that play each of them for each show. Aladdin trades off with his a couple times, and then the 2 on the carpet are obviously not the same 2 on stage. You can tell the ones on the carpet are really singing, because at the end of the song when it switches back to the stage actors it's an obvious change. But I have seen the two from the carpet be on stage as well, so I believe they switch off.

cynthia312
08-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Oh okay...thanks for the responses everyone. I had a feeling they were live...but there are still times when it seems like it was recorded. Like I said on my OP, the part where Jasmine sings her solo....everytime I go, even though it LOOKS like a different Jasmine, the singing voice still SOUNDS the same as to what I've heard when I went last month. *shurgs* Maybe the company just wants the girl playing Jasmine to sing that kind of range.

someimagination
08-18-2007, 01:33 AM
It's definitely live. I am always able to distinguish in the voices which Aladdin or Jasmine is speaking/singing. There are 2 that play each of them for each show. Aladdin trades off with his a couple times, and then the 2 on the carpet are obviously not the same 2 on stage. You can tell the ones on the carpet are really singing, because at the end of the song when it switches back to the stage actors it's an obvious change. But I have seen the two from the carpet be on stage as well, so I believe they switch off.

99.9% of the show is live, however the couple on the carpet isn't really singing... that bit [the first half of 'A Whole New World'] is from the original cast CD, and switches off when Aladdin and Jasmine reappear below which is why it doesn't sound the same :]

Tisha
08-18-2007, 10:09 AM
99.9% of the show is live, however the couple on the carpet isn't really singing... that bit [the first half of 'A Whole New World'] is from the original cast CD, and switches off when Aladdin and Jasmine reappear below which is why it doesn't sound the same :]

Do you mean the soundtrack of the animated film? I would highly doubt that since I know that song so well. I'd know if that's what they were playing on the carpet. The carpet singing could be pre-recorded by the stage actors, but I have definitely heard two distinctly different set of people sing that part of the show. One of the Jasmines always has a bit of a whiny sounding singing voice to me, and I've definitely heard her sing on the carpet as well as on stage parts in different showings.

Susan L
08-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Its a great show!

danyoung
08-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Do you mean the soundtrack of the animated film?

I think someimagination indicated that the song is from the original cast CD, from the Aladdin stage show there at DCA, NOT from the animated movie.

Do they still use the flying carpet? I last saw the show a few months ago, and the carpet wasn't flying. Seemed to be a big hole in the action without it.

someimagination
08-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Yeah, I was talking about the DCA cast CD... I'd recongize the animated film's voice at once lol...

As far as the carpet... I haven't watched the show for a long time, but it's normally still used since it's an important element of the show.. but if it's malfunctioning or something is off with the timing or actors, obviously for safety they wouldn't use it.. [kind of how Tink is still part of the fireworks but some nights she's there and other nights she doesn't fly]:D

Tisha
08-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Yeah that makes sense, it could be a pre-recorded one from the cast of the show.

Maybe the carpet was broken the day you went. I last saw it at the end of June and the carpet was flying then.

danyoung
08-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Good to hear about the carpet. Guess I was just there on a bad day. Thanks.

momto3princesses
08-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Saw it on Thursday. Carpet was flying. Different set of Jasmine/Aladdin on the carpet - pretty obvious to me but I don't think the kids noticed.

The genie was hilarious, and had very updated jokes. The umbrella one was our favorite.