PDA

View Full Version : PINS: stop the insanity

Pages : [1] 2

Pony Sugrue
07-10-2002, 05:28 PM
A few years ago, I saw a DAVY CROCKETT pin at the Disney Store. I don't like these small expensive little pins... but since it was like the only CROCKETT thing around at the time, I just had to get it.

Later, I saw a TREASURE ISLAND one, DARBY O'GILL, and ICHABOD/Mr. TOAD. In DISNEYWORLD, I saw a PIRATES pin... a HALL OF PRESIDENTS pin too. I was delighted that at least something was made for these movies/attractions. I bought my share of these things because at the time, they were about the only souvenir representing these classics.

Now, they keep cranking these things out. I don't know how many PIRATES or HAUNTED MANSIONS there are now... but I don't buy them anymore. They've cheapened it all by over-doing it. They're all too expensive and too numerous (reminds me of STAR WARS figures.. how many Vaders or Lukes are out there now? Get it right the first time, lads). I might keep my eyes open for THE THREE CABALLEROS or PECOS BILL, but "100 Mickeys "as pins?... the nightmare continues.

This is like beanie babies or some other ridiculous fad. People flock like lemmings to grab every random Daisy or Pluto pin that comes down the pike. Then they have so friggin' many of them that they have to attach them all to a camera strap or sash like "Boy Scout" Merit badges. The only difference is a Boy Scout should be proud of his achievements. You're just some middle-aged shmuck; gnawing on a corn dog'; lumbering down Main Street... draped in random "Mickey", "Alladin", and "Brer Rabbit" buttons.

"Is that a 6th edition 'PETE's DRAGON' pin on your Uniform?! You're all worthless and weak... now drop and give me 50!"

MouseWife
07-10-2002, 05:51 PM
Ouch!!!

We collect strange pins, different pins. I actually have an Alfred E. Neuman pin 'What? Me worry?' Love it!

But I do buy pins that I really like. On my visor of my van, there is a little strip, I guess to hold sunglasses. I have a pin from 5 different places that I have been. Couldn't fit anymore so I didn't buy anymore {for my visor}.

But to call us middle aged schmucks?! Again I say, Ouch!!

{I do think it looks sort of cool to see someone wearing a vest covered with pins}

Alex S.
07-10-2002, 06:50 PM
While I do find some of the more extreme pin collectors annoying (the next time someone comes up and insists on seeing a CMs lanyard - WHILE I AM TALKING TO THE CM - I'm going to do something not nice), let's be very careful how you throw the names around.

It's easy, just show a little restraint rather than "pin collectors are all middle aged schmuks" try "some pin traders are middle aged schmuks."

Actually, it would probably just be best to avoid name calling altogether. Even if I do roll my eyes at the people wheeling 83 pounds of pins through the parks, 42 of those pounds on their vests and lanyards when it is 163 degrees out and that vest obviously constitutes the only heavy lifting they have done since high scholl gym class 24 years ago.

But that doesn't apply to them all, and it is is possible to point out the (in your opinion) silliness without resorting to name calling.

Sailor Butterfly
07-11-2002, 04:14 AM
Ahem...getting back to the topic at hand, it sounds like Disney is once again falling victim to "Millionaire syndrome." They take something good that they started, which turned out to be popular, and completely ruin it by running it into the ground. Now all they have to do is have "celebrity pins" and the destruction will be complete.

07-11-2002, 06:10 AM
Hey buddy, I'll say it loud:

I'M MIDDLE-AGED AND I'M PROUD!

WDWalways
07-11-2002, 09:41 AM
I collect the Disney pins I really like alot or totally love but I do not wear them ever -- I display them on a cork board at home and I only have maybe 25-30 and again, only the one's I truly must have!! I am not middle-aged so maybe that's why I don't want to wear them ;) but I do agree that those who wear their whole collection on vests and hats and lanyards (especially all at once!!! :eek: ) just look totally ridiculous!! I don't see why they feel the need to do that -- buy whatever pins you want and however many you want but why strut around like you're the only one who has a clue these pins even exist?? That's the attitude I get anyway.

tikiboy
07-11-2002, 11:17 AM
I think Disney really needs to tone down the whole pin thing.

Someone I know works at Carnation Cafe, and the story I heard on Sunday about pin trader behavior appalled me.

As many of you know, Disney restaurants right now have a program where if you spend $20, you get a pin.

Well, Carnation Cafe has a Birthday bucket, which costs exactly $20. So a lot of people were purchasing these buckets and getting pins. Nothing wrong with that.

BUT, when these people got their pins, they would examine them if they were a diamond. If they found a tiny little scratch, they would take them back to their server and say "I want another one." Some of them did this 3 or 4 times.

The worst thing is, that many of the checks came out to be $30-$50 PER PERSON(That's a lot!) and the servers would only be tipped $1.

And this was not an isolated incident.

That ain't cool.

DisneylandBoy
07-11-2002, 11:44 AM
A little pin story for you all:

When I was in the Parade of the Stars, they gave us a pin of the Blue Fairy float. I guess only performers in the POTS can get these. Anyways, there were like 5 guys standing around in vests covered in pins. One of them came up to me and told me that he would give me ten of his pins if I would give him the one that I was just handed. I am not a pin collector, so I said no. I was really mad, though, because these guys were going up to little kids asking them! And the little ones know that ten is more than one, so they would trade. Ah, the things pin traders will do to get a pin . . . :rolleyes:

Not that I have a problem with pin traders. Just mean ones!

MammaSilva
07-11-2002, 11:50 AM
My niece was in the PoS (thanks Not Afraid and That Guy for clueing us in on how to get the kids in the parade BTW) and I told her before she left ..(auntie doesn't do parades, another friend was with her,) that she would get a very special pin and she had to give it to me as soon as she got back to where we were waiting....I'd heard about the pin traders and she is easily manipulated but minds well....she showed up with her pin and handed it over, I brought it home, along with her name tag and when we got the pics back I made a collage with pics, her name tag and pin to hang on her wall...

as for me, I love pins as souviners, they are small, easy to transport, easy to display at home, rarely wear out or become 'outgrown' or 'uncool' to own....each of my family have different characters that are their favs so it's easy to pick up a little something without needing a loan....and that may or may not increase in value somewhere down the road...

justagrrl
07-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
I brought it home, along with her name tag and when we got the pics back I made a collage with pics, her name tag and pin to hang on her wall...

That's a fantastic idea. I might have to steal it...;)

bubsy
07-11-2002, 12:12 PM
I've had the three cabarellos song in my head since I woke up this morning. And I have no idea why. I haven't seen or heard anything about it lately.

We're three cabarellos
Three gay cabarellos
You'll find us beneath our sombreroooohhhhs!
We'e three happy chappies in our snappy serapes!

i know this has nothing to do with the pins subject other than the mention of a three cabarellos pin.

StuDeedooo
07-11-2002, 12:24 PM
Im a newbie on here so please excuse me if the post chokes.

We were at DL over the 4th and got to do PoS. What a blast (more like workout)! When they gave us the pins, they said watch out for the collectors and "we better not see those on ebay!"

My response was hey no problem. I collect hard rock pins and this is my first DL pin. AND I EARNED IT. Its going no where but into our family collection of stuff from the trip. As far as Im concerned, the collectors cant afford it if they cant earn it first, lol.

Been a hoot reading this board. DL is a very special place. Im glad you guys are watching over it on a regular basis. This was our first time back since Christmas... 5 years ago.

Funny thing about that place when you take a trip there - the first morning you walk in the front gate and the last night you walk out, you need sunglasses. No place else has that effect.

Stu
:cool:

Pony Sugrue
07-11-2002, 03:08 PM
I know this may sound almost sac-religous to some of you "PIN HEADS" but I actually took out all my pins, got out a hacksaw, sawed off the "pin" parts, super-glued magnets to the back and now they are prominently displayed as my refridgerator magnets.

Dean Higgins
07-11-2002, 04:02 PM
That "lemmings" comparison was right on.

I hate how everything is collectible now. People seem to buy anything. Just get the ones you want folks. This completist thing is a dark road with no end in sight.

I swear if Disney made a thousand shoe-horns with characters/attractions/movies on them, every Disney nut would buy those too.

How about TWEEDLE DEE and TWEEDLE DUM corn-holders?

Where! Where! Must blow money.

Now one with Dexter Riley on it... hmmmm

MammaSilva
07-11-2002, 04:04 PM
hmmm I like the magnet idea! some of my pins are in frames, others in books but the magnet idea would be cool too!

cstephens
07-11-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by tikiboy
Someone I know works at Carnation Cafe, and the story I heard on Sunday about pin trader behavior appalled me.

Well, Carnation Cafe has a Birthday bucket, which costs exactly $20. So a lot of people were purchasing these buckets and getting pins. Nothing wrong with that.

BUT, when these people got their pins, they would examine them if they were a diamond. If they found a tiny little scratch, they would take them back to their server and say "I want another one." Some of them did this 3 or 4 times.

As long as it was done politely, I don't see anything wrong with that. If I'm purchasing something, I would like to know that it's in good condition. Usually, I am able to pick precisely the item I want, but if I'm buying something blind, I would expect that it's of good quality, and if it's not, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for one that is.

If I was buying a shirt, and I had to pay for it before they pulled it out of the box, and when I got it, it had a rip or a stain or something else that ruined the item, I would definitely ask for a better one. I don't see why this case would be different.

You'd think by now they'd know to take care of their merchandise. I remember during the "pin of the month" promotion, the in-demand pins had metal pin backs and were not in plastic bags, so the metal pin back of one pin just scraped against the front of the next pin, making huge scars on the pin. They probably had to toss a ton of those pins because no one would buy them. They were damaging their own marketable goods. Weird.

Dean Higgins
07-13-2002, 12:38 PM
They should make a pin for the Parking Structure.

MonorailMan
07-13-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Dean Higgins
They should make a pin for the Parking Structure.

Oh! How about a Pin for the Elevators? It's a ride isn't it? :rolleyes:

Dean Higgins
07-13-2002, 06:50 PM
Perhaps a pin for the LOCKER ROOMS or one with a Stroller on it. Don't think that these folks wouldn't buy them.

Tigertail777
07-13-2002, 08:53 PM
I am not a pin collector (oh sure I have a few), but there is only one pin I truly really want and sets me to drooling everytime I see it: the pirates of the caribbean dedication plaque pin that looks like the plaque above the fountain in Disneyland. BUT because it is now out of print, pin traders want hundreds of pins for that single one, or some mighty large bucks...it's insane!!! I just want that one pin--should I have to go through hell or bankruptcy to get it??? Alot of traders won't even sell them: they insist on trading...I am not about to buy hundreds of pins to trade just for this one. Good Greif--Disney has built this thing into a absolute fever! And yeah they do pins on any ridiculous thing, but some stuff that deserves a truly cool pin doesn't get one: there are only a handful for the tiki room, and none of them are very cool looking. Pretty soon there will be a collectors pin series on the toilets of Disneyland (oops shouldn't have given them the idea... now they'll do it):)

Disney Nick
07-13-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Tigertail777
there are only a handful for the tiki room, and none of them are very cool looking.
I actually like the 1998 (I think) pin of the Tiki Room. The one with the birds on it and the flowers. Got it for $6 off eBay about 2 weeks ago. Worth it to me :D

Dean Higgins
07-14-2002, 07:10 PM
I think the coolest thing they could do as pins would be to make those three "trophies" on the wall from COUNTRY BEARS. You know, the Deer, the Buffalo, and the Moose. They could be relief sculpted off of their plaques. Shoot, that would be an even better idea for magnets.. then they could be even larger.

DLfreak
07-15-2002, 08:05 AM
Dean Higgens..that's a cool idea. I would buy those ones. :) (the CB ones....not the parking structure one)
I am not a pin freak by any means. I have less than 20 and they are only ones that I really like. (like the Club 33 ones) ;) :D
I have several friends that are MAJOR pin freaks and have hundreds, maybe even more than 1,000. I have seen them in action at pin carts...literally dropping over $100.00 per cart each time. I think that is a bit ridiculous....not to mention I can't afford that. (especially at the prices they charge :rolleyes: ) I'm happy maybe buying one pin every few months when a new one comes out that I really want.

socabch
07-15-2002, 08:19 AM
I buys pins once in a while. The only time I stood in line for one was on Walt's last birthday. I usually buy Haunted Mansion and Tinker pins. But I don't walk around with a lanyard around my neck for two reasons. #One: I'm afraid I'll lose a pin on a ride and #two: lanyards are uncomfortable and heavy with all those pins on them. My lanyard is hanging on my wall. I think PinTraders are fine as long as they are not rude to CM's and other guests during their quest for that special pin. When I see one, I always wonder how heavy all those pins are. I travel lite at DL and the only thing I want to think about is having a good time.

Dean Higgins
10-08-2002, 09:13 AM
They made a giant poster for the gallery that contained all the attraction posters on it in miniature. They should make a huge pin... like a huge pizza pan... that has all the pins on it in miniature. Pin-freaks could wear that as a big medallion like that rapper that used to wear that big clock around his neck;)