PDA

View Full Version : Princess Story Time

bri23
08-15-2007, 08:50 PM
I was last at Disneyland last Labor Day Weekend and my daughter absolutely had the time of her life meeting the princesses around the castle and going to story time in the little toy shop. She loved it so much that yes we actually stayed for three hours straight on two different days so she could listen to all the stories and get to talk with and take pictures with the pricesses after the story. It was 6 hours but after all the vacation was not about us as parents but it was about her - and those memories are priceless to all of us.

So my question - I know they have done away with story time in the shop and in general done away with seeing the princeses at the castle and now have some fairy land princess place? I've read threads about waiting for 2 hours just to say hello but I have not seen any detailed information about what this experience is all about and what you actually do at this princess fair. Could somebody please give me an idea what to expect at this place? I fear the story time is gone and I'm really disappointed about that. For those that missed that experience in the little toy shop I'm really sorry. Only about 20 kids ever went on the days we were there and my daughter sat right at the foot on the girls while they told the stories and she was able to participate with the questions. It was also so sad to see so many parents unwilling to wait there for an hour with kids who wanted to stay - you know the big rush to run off to line up for Splash Mountain or something! Thanks for any info on the new princess land.

biolabetty
08-15-2007, 10:38 PM
The Princess Fantasy Faire is the new place you're talking about, it's right across from Small World. My daughter loved it. They do have storytimes, and they have a coronation where the kids can dance with the princesses. The coronation got pretty crowded, but the storytimes we could sit pretty close. We never waited in the long lines to meet the princesses, but I would recommend eating at Ariel's Grotto in DCA. You meet Ariel when you first arrive and have your picture with her, then during your meal, 4 more princesses came around from table to table. We got to see Cinderella, Belle, Aurora, and Snow White there. It does cost to do, but it is much easier than waiting forever in a long line, my daughter would never be able to wait that long.

MadasaHatter
08-16-2007, 09:34 AM
I am so glad you and daughter got to experience that bri23!!!

I do not have kids nor does my best friend and we were in DL one day and she is a SHOPPER so we were in the TOY SHOPPE and the story telling started. I could not believe that something so simple as SNOW WHITE reading a book to kids would be so popular. ALL of the little girls were captivated and you just knew that that would be their highlight of the whole trip...we listenend to the whole story just to watch the little girls! AND THAT is exactly why I love Disneyland (the talking trash can, Dapper Dans, Flag Ceremony, Jazz Singers in NOS, Drumming Janitors...)Not enough people appreciate that.

I am not knocking THE PRINCESS FANTASY FAIRE but that is the perfect example...my friend and I stumbled upon the storytelling and now we won't get that experience as it is organized and off to the side. I know Disney works hard and I am sure they are improving it but I never see the Princess out much and that is sad....."SIGH"

PanFan
08-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Ah, the Princess Fantasy Faire! I have mixed feelings about it (especially when I have to work it), but here's the scoop.

There's a lot to do over there. On the side furthest from the entrance, you can get face painting, hairdos, and buy princess clothes. They have books out with the different "makeover" options. There's also pages to color.

Then there's the Royal Walk. This is where the princesses (and other royal visitors) are available for photos and autographs. The problem with this part is that you don't know who you're waiting in line to meet because they change every 20 to 30 minutes. Usually you'll get ones like Belle, Aurora, Cinderella, or Jasmine, but lately I've also noticed Princess Minnie, Prince Phillip, Prince Charming, Pocahontas, Mulan, and even the Fairy Godmother (hence the "other royal visitors" disclaimer). You'll get to meet three of them and they do spend some good time with each group, which is why the wait is so long. A rule of thumb for determining how long the line is is to remember that each switchback is approximately half an hour. The last few days I've been there it's been around 30-45 minutes. Keep in mind that since Belle, Snow White, Cinderella, and Aurora are all in the parade, you won't see them at the Fantasy Faire while it's going (3:30-4:00 or 6:30-7:00).

Then you have the Enchanted Sweets and Treats where you can buy sausages and various including a cupcake (or maybe it's a cookie, I don't remember) that you can decorate with frosting.

Down the ramp and stairs between the food counter and the royal walk is another group of tables with coloring pages as well as a place where you can get a crown and a set of stickers to decorate it with. Also down there is where the Storytelling and the Coronation ceremonies are held. The schedule for these two shows is listed on the Times Guide you get when you enter the park as well as on boards at the entrance to the theater and over by the Royal Walk.

The Coronation involves Sir Elias and Lady Lillian (I love the names they chose!) teaching the audience how to act like knights and ladies. They teach everyone how to bow and curtsy, as well as a little dance step. After they practice the dance for a little while, three princesses come down on the stage to do the dance with everyone. Then they bring out three maypoles and everyone gets to dance around them. The princesses do not do photos or autographs during or after this ceremony.

The Princess Storytelling happens to the left of the main stage, under the big crown with the pink curtain. One princess will come out and share her life story with the audience. They have carpet circles for the kids to sit on. The schedule changes a lot, so it's hard to say who it's going to be until a few minutes before the show (at least, they don't tell me--maybe the entertainment people know). I've seen Cinderella, Aurora, Snow White, Belle, and Mulan (yes, I realize she's not a princess, but I didn't set it up). The storyteller does not do photos and autographs after this either.

There's a lot of ways that I see where the Princess Fantasy Faire could be improved, but that's how it is now. I hope that answers some of your questions :)

Dakota784
08-17-2007, 06:35 AM
MadasaHatter - I totally agree with you! It is the seemingly little things that add up to such a magical experience. Lots of theme parks have "rides," and Disney perfected "attractions," but they wouldn't be nearly as spectacular if it weren't for the wonderful additions everywhere you look.

We have two kids - and they went crazy over the talking trash can! Talking with him was a total highlight, as was having Buzz wave at and then do "distance dancing"with our 1-year-old (she didn't want to get to close to any characters). She had a total "Buzz Crush" for months afterwards. Our 4-year-old LOVED lunch with all the princesses at Ariels' grotto (worth every penny for the look on his face during the entire event), and we'd hoped for a storytime, too. Sad that that story time in theToy Shoppe is gone.

Let's all just hope that as "small things" are taken away, new ones always replace them. Bigger isn't always better.