PDA

View Full Version : The Holidays at Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

wabby1
08-15-2007, 01:28 PM
An old thread perhaps....but I'm interested in everyone's opinion regarding visiting Disneyland during the Holiday season. I understand from several different season pass holders that its the best time of year to visit.....

What do you think?

tigger08
08-15-2007, 01:34 PM
I love the Holiday decore. However I wasn't a fan of the long lines when we went during Thanksgiving when I was in JR High. Its something that I enjoyed but not something that I would do again anytime soon.

padilla6710
08-15-2007, 05:37 PM
My birthday is Christmas Eve and we go every year for this since I was 11 I am now 21 haha. Anyway the lines are longer but not nearly as bad as the Summer. It is a nice time to take in a leisurly view of the park and fast pass rides you want to go on. Its a Small World Holiday cant be missed especially at night, it is a great photo opportunity. HM Holiday is also a wonderful experience, these rides usually have the longest wait at this time but fast passes are available. I suggest making a dinner reservation and taking your time looking at all the beautiful decorations and really getting into the Christmas spirit. It is worth it to go at this time. Oh yeah dont miss the holiday parade and fireworks w/snow!

Bytebear
08-15-2007, 07:07 PM
I have heard rumors that the castle will have extensive and amazing decorations this year, never before done. I will not reveal the details, but I am wondering if anyone else has heard this.

disneynut
08-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Disneyland at Christmastime is even more magical than it is throughout the rest of the year. I love the holiday decorations, seeing the characters in all of their winterwear, and drinking hot chocolate while waiting for a parade. I like the cooler weather so, for me, it's much more enjoyable than the hot summer days. And without the heat, and perhaps because of the holiday cheer, even the crowds seem more relaxed and much more doable.

Malcon10t
08-15-2007, 09:07 PM
While it is more crowded than summer between Christmas and New Years Eve, the crowd is happier and more fun. Could be the cooler weather. The park is so well decorated and it is so much fun. We will be there. We go every year. Hope to see you there!

padilla6710
08-15-2007, 09:10 PM
I would have to disagree about it being more crowded during the Christmas versus summer...I avoid summer at all costs because the crowds are wall to wall people all day long. If you go early you will avoid the bigger crowds, the crowds get big near the end of the night for the fireworks. If you leave before the fireworks start you really dont have to deal with the wall to wall crowd effects that are so unbareable that the summer will always bring.

Malcon10t
08-15-2007, 09:37 PM
I would have to disagree about it being more crowded during the Christmas versus summer...I avoid summer at all costs because the crowds are wall to wall people all day long. If you go early you will avoid the bigger crowds, the crowds get big near the end of the night for the fireworks. If you leave before the fireworks start you really dont have to deal with the wall to wall crowd effects that are so unbareable that the summer will always bring.The week between Christmas and NYE will have turnstile closures most days. One trip, every single day we were there had a turnstile closure (Dec 25-Jan 2nd, no closure on the 1st and 2nd.) In the summer, you really only see closures on the 4th of July and an odd day here and there.

Also, Dec 26-Jan 2nd, you have the Rose Bowl crowds.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-16-2007, 09:54 PM
For a few years, we would go in the early part of November, after the decorations for Christmas were starting to be put up, but the holiday festivities were not in full swing. We would be able to see the holiday fireworks complete with snow after, but no parade and no Santa.
Last year, we went in early December and it was even more magical. The parade, all the other holiday activities going on. REALLY a must for every Disneyland fan.

PanFan
08-16-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm with Malcon on this. I started as a CM on Christmas Eve and learned how to operate under capacity conditions (on IASWH, no less!). Nothing this summer has even come close to the crowds between Christmas and New Years. Now a lot of that could be due to Nemo being open and taking a couple thousand people away from other parts of the park at any given time during the day, making this summer seem lighter than previous ones. However, we haven't had any capacity days with turnstile closures since the holidays.

That being said, you totally have to go during the Christmas season! It's beautiful (especially IASW) and everything feels even more magical than usual (if that's even possible). But just to clarify, there will not be FastPass for either IASWH or HMH. Well, I can say not IASWH for sure, and I've heard from numerous independent sources that HMH saw it's last FP last year. But luckily both of those lines can move pretty quickly. At its worst (with the queue switchbacking across the pavilion next to Fantasia Gardens), IASWH never got past 45 minutes.

Go the first few weeks of December. Everything will be decorated, you'll get the Christmas parade and fireworks, and you won't have to worry about massive crowds.

MaraMouse
08-17-2007, 01:48 AM
An old thread perhaps....but I'm interested in everyone's opinion regarding visiting Disneyland during the Holiday season. I understand from several different season pass holders that its the best time of year to visit.....

What do you think?

I definitley agree that it's more magical during the holidays, especially right* after the fireworks, when the "snowfall" starts and they play that really nice version of "I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas" (example here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XArlSDgk7aw)

The best place for me during that was on Main Street, it was so pretty.

Oh and it's also a good time to sneak a spot into the front of Fantasmic for the second showing because everyones distracted by the snow lol

Which reminds me, there was one big group of people who wouldn't move and the snow machine was right above them and they had piles of snow ontop of their head just building up lol

p.s.
on that YouTube vid, I think I saw someone walking on the castle and in the window?

River Belle
08-17-2007, 07:36 AM
I think the best thing about visiting Disneyland at Christmastime is that you get to experience the park in a whole new way...

Christmas music greets you as you walk onto Main Street (which really makes spirits bright!), and themed versions of holiday songs play in different areas of the park (like the great Small World/Jingle Bells medley at IASW and the "woodsy" renditions at Winnie the Pooh).

The decorations throughout the park (especially at night!) are beautiful & festive, and the fireworks and parade are truly wonderful. The special holiday menu items are also a real treat, and Christmas shopping at Disneyland is a lot of fun.

It's a whole different park during the holidays, and there really is nothing like visiting "The Happiest Place on Earth" during "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year."

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-17-2007, 07:41 AM
I definitley agree that it's more magical during the holidays, especially right* after the fireworks, when the "snowfall" starts and they play that really nice version of "I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas" (example here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XArlSDgk7aw)

The best place for me during that was on Main Street, it was so pretty.

Oh and it's also a good time to sneak a spot into the front of Fantasmic for the second showing because everyones distracted by the snow lol

Which reminds me, there was one big group of people who wouldn't move and the snow machine was right above them and they had piles of snow ontop of their head just building up lol

p.s.
on that YouTube vid, I think I saw someone walking on the castle and in the window?

Thanks for that link. I just emailed it to my mom.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-17-2007, 07:42 AM
I think the best thing about visiting Disneyland at Christmastime is that you get to experience the park in a whole new way...

Christmas music greets you as you walk onto Main Street (which really makes spirits bright!), and themed versions of holiday songs play in different areas of the park (like the great Small World/Jingle Bells medley at IASW and the "woodsy" renditions at Winnie the Pooh).

The decorations throughout the park (especially at night!) are beautiful & festive, and the fireworks and parade are truly wonderful. The special holiday menu items are also a real treat, and Christmas shopping at Disneyland is a lot of fun.

It's a whole different park during the holidays, and there really is nothing like visiting "The Happiest Place on Earth" during "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year."

That gave me an idea. Need to run it by DH. But there is a possibility we might not be making our planned famiily trip to DLR this year. Some other things going on that need our attention. But I would LOVE to go for a night, by myself and shop for Christmas gifts.

Franz
08-17-2007, 08:31 AM
We went around the 15th of December last year. It was beautiful. The decorations, the holiday cheer and, (honestly) fairly light crowds during the weekdays. I never had a great desire to see the park during the holiday season, but now I'm hooked. There is a special magic to the Happiest place on Earth during the holidays - and one of the holiday "extras" still brings tears to my eyes just thinking about watching my family take in the shock, awe and wonder of it all... one word SNOW!!! :D:D:D

disneyland addict13
08-17-2007, 10:56 AM
My mom has never been to Disneyland during the Christmas season in all her years of visiting the parks. I've been once and it was in November so it was decorated for Christmas, but I'm sure it wasn't nearly as magical as it would be in December. Since my mom has never been and also since her birthday is December 20th, we're going to take a trip down there for her birthday and for her to see the parks all dressed up for the holidays. I'm very excited because I know how much she will appreciate the beautiful holiday decorations.

Does anyone know what crowds will be like the week before Christmas? I know the busiest week is the week after Christmas but I haven't heard anything about the week before.

Malcon10t
08-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Most Northern CA school districts get out Dec 21st, so it should be a good week to visit.

missm
08-17-2007, 06:33 PM
I have visited the park the first week of December but am planning a trip for the second week this year. How does that compare crowdwise? It was the lightest crowds I've ever seen the first week of December 2004. We were even there during Candlelight weekend. Granted we went to Sea World the Saturday of CP but even Sunday was slow. I didn't think I was going to get to go again this year but my boyfriend said yes (he doesn't even really like DL :eek:). I'm hoping that the crowds are really light so he will go more often with me. His first time was spring break this year so he's jaded.

Second Star
08-20-2007, 03:05 PM
We went to Disneyland in November of 2001. We were there for the 4 days before Thanksgiving. The decoration were up, it was very festive, and we had a great time. However, we went last year in Dec, the 20th to the 24th. It was amazing!!! :D Hoping to be able to do it again next year.

hawaiimom
08-20-2007, 04:19 PM
I was so apprehensive about going during the peak holiday season last year, but when we got there we were enveloped in the holiday spirit and "magical" doesn't completely describe our experience. In fact, my most favorite DL moment ever is going to the fireworks with just my daughter. Her face when the snow started falling was priceless. I still tear up thinking about it. I'm trying to convince my husband to go again this year but he's not on the same page when it comes to DL.

shna
08-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Well - y'all have convinced me. I simply MUST go during December this year!

Dakota784
08-20-2007, 07:32 PM
I'll second that! I've never been at Christmas, not even when we lived down there when I was a kid. I've heard so many wonderful things, I MUST find a way to go! This year is my plan!

Malcon10t
08-20-2007, 07:41 PM
I'll second that! I've never been at Christmas, not even when we lived down there when I was a kid. I've heard so many wonderful things, I MUST find a way to go! This year is my plan!If I could only go once a year, it would be at Christmas, even at the height of crowds. It is completely worth it for me.

808Disney
08-24-2007, 12:01 AM
My family and I visited Disney during Christmas for the 1st time ever. We just LOVE the whole feel of a "Disney Christmas"... My family and I travel alot to Disney coming from Hawaii. Its always magical during this time. However, this time we splurged and stayed at the Grand Californian and WOW! We are HOOKED on the pampering and convenience. We will be there during Thanksgiving in 2008.
The lines during Christmas is EXTREMELY LONG!!! WOW!! IT was pretty crazy... For any FIRSTTIMERS to Disney, I would defintely choose another date. For those who have experienced Disneyland, its great to see all the decorations. For those who are impatient... YIKES!! GO AFTER New Years!:fez:

Jim Dear and Darling
08-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Chiming in with my $0.02

The park is far busier the week between Christmas and NYE than it is any day in the summer, except for the 4th. I've done both, and I almost wouldn't go to Disneyland that one week in December if I was given an all expense paid trip. It is so crowded it's hard to walk!