PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Disneyland?

jag82177
08-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Hi everybody!

I'm just writing to find out a few things about the Disneyland Resort, and I'm hoping some of you guys can help me out. I'm from Florida and I'm extremely familiar with the Walt Disney World Resort, but I know very little about the Disneyland Resort. Here's what I've been able to plan so far:

I arrive in Los Angeles on September 3rd in the morning:
-Is there a shuttle from LAX to Disneyland that's similar to Disney's Magical Express, or do I have to take a 3rd party shuttle? I'm going to be in California for a week. Should I just rent a car instead?
-I am hoping to stay at Disney's Paradise Pier. What are your impressions on that hotel?
-September 3 is Labor Day. Will DCA be packed, or empty as I've heard it usually is?

I hope to visit Disneyland all day on September 4:
-Will staying at the Paradise Pier allow me to get in to the park (Fantasyland) one hour early?
-Is RideMax a worthwhile investment?

Thanks in advance for your responses! I'm really looking forward to this trip!:D

Malcon10t
08-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Hi everybody!

I'm just writing to find out a few things about the Disneyland Resort, and I'm hoping some of you guys can help me out. I'm from Florida and I'm extremely familiar with the Walt Disney World Resort, but I know very little about the Disneyland Resort. Here's what I've been able to plan so far:

I arrive in Los Angeles on September 3rd in the morning:
-Is there a shuttle from LAX to Disneyland that's similar to Disney's Magical Express, or do I have to take a 3rd party shuttle? I'm going to be in California for a week. Should I just rent a car instead?Are you doing something other than Disneyland? If so, car rental would probably be best. There are shuttles though.

-I am hoping to stay at Disney's Paradise Pier. What are your impressions on that hotel?It is nice.

-September 3 is Labor Day. Will DCA be packed, or empty as I've heard it usually is?It won't be empty, but I wouldn't expect turnstile closures.

I hope to visit Disneyland all day on September 4:
-Will staying at the Paradise Pier allow me to get in to the park (Fantasyland) one hour early?Yes.

-Is RideMax a worthwhile investment?I wouldn't invest for this time frame.

dawnid
08-15-2007, 12:30 PM
If you book your trip thru WDT they do have a bus add-on to take you to your hotel. If not there are shuttles at LAX, try [url]www.supershuttle.com to pre-book.

Are you planning to go anywhere besides The Disneyland Resort? Unlike WDW if you plan to just do Disney you don't need any transportation, everything is within walking distance. You can also take the shuttle to the PPH and then call Enterprise Rent-a-car to drop off a car/pick you up when you want to leave property. That way you don't pay for a rental car to sit in the parking structure.

DCA will be less crowded than DL but still busy. DL is the only park with early entry and yes staying on property will allow you to use EE on everyday it is offered.

I've never used ridemax so I can't offer an opinion either way.

Have Fun!!

Darkbeer
08-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Monday, September 3rd, Disneyland will host a Half-Marathon, which will create road closures until around 10 to 11 AM in the morning. It will also add to a busy day, but most of them will head to Disneyland, so DCA will be busier than normal, but shouldn't be too bad.

I prefer the rental car option, you can usually find a good deal at Hotwire.com. This will allow you to visit other places, go shopping and eat at restaurants away from the DLR.

If not, then you could use the Disneyland Resort Express Bus, it isn't free, but $25 per adult round trip with the coupon found at the link below (print out one coupon per person.)

http://graylineanaheim.com/airport_info.cfm

Personally, I think the Disney owned hotels are overpriced for what they deliver. And unlike Orlando, some of the off-property hotels are closer to the Main Entrance than the Disney owned ones.

If you are in town for a week, I would look into Residence In on Clementine and Disney Way, less than 1 mile walk from the Main Entrance Plaza. Condo like rooms that come with a kitchen and a living room. Laid back, and comes with a prepared breakfast and selected dinners. The one drawback, you do not get daily maid service.

Howard Johnson's on Harbor is a favorite of many, a small fridge is in each room, rooms are large and wonderful grounds. Free Internet and parking. You can get 10% off at this link (once again, print out the coupon).

http://www.hojoanaheim.com/mousesavers/

Of course, others will suggest other choices.

If you buy an Advance Purchase ParkHopper, you will get one day of Early Entry no matter where you stay. And you will be attending during a slow period starting Tuesday, so you won't have to deal with large crowds for most of your trip (weekends are always busy due to the high percentage of locals that attend, much higher than WDW).

As for Ridemax, it is very good in what it does, which is printing a plan of what to see and when to see it. If you are the type of person who likes that type of schedule, then yes, buy it. On the other hand, if you are planning to relax and just go with the flow. I wouldn't spend the money, especially since you should have some nice slow days during the week.

annieb727
08-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Hey there...don't forget to check out Hydroguy's article "DLR for WDW Vets"
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=58533

annieb727
08-15-2007, 02:48 PM
If you buy an Advance Purchase ParkHopper, you will get one day of Early Entry no matter where you stay. And you will be attending during a slow period starting Tuesday, so you won't have to deal with large crowds for most of your trip (weekends are always busy due to the high percentage of locals that attend, much higher than WDW).

This is only if you purchase three day or more if I'm not mistaken. Are you staying for only the two days mentioned in the opening post, or more longer than that?

UsBurchs
08-15-2007, 03:28 PM
We've stayed at PPH twice and we really like it - however, it IS way overpriced, but so are the other two Disney resorts. For us, we're usually only there one night, so it's a nice treat. Comfy beds, friendly staff (of course!) and the Lilo and Stitch breakfast is pretty fun. It's a quick walk to the the hotel when you leave DCA through the gate near Grizzly River Run and through the Grand Californain (which is much better than going through the main gate after the Electric Light Parade). We usually walk from PPH to Downtown Disney and catch the monorail into Disneyland on the early opening mornings.

Yes, it is nice that you get to go early to the parks when you stay at the hotels, but only on mornings when they are doing that! It's not every day. Check with the front desk when you check in. They'll let you know and give you instructions what to do to get in early. Usually it's only when you stay two nights or more, but the CM that checked us in was really really nice and gave us early admission the one day were were going to DL. :)

Malcon10t
08-15-2007, 04:41 PM
If you are in town for a week, I would look into Residence In on Clementine and Disney Way, less than 1 mile walk from the Main Entrance Plaza. Condo like rooms that come with a kitchen and a living room. Laid back, and comes with a prepared breakfast and selected dinners. The one drawback, you do not get daily maid service.I just want to clarify, you do get daily maid service at Residence Inn. Extended Stay America doesn't offer daily maid service (so we don't stay there.) And the maid service is fantastic at the Clementine Residence Inn. They always go above and beyond when we are there. I always feel guilty as they do dishes and everything. And they will shop for you for free. Just leave a list of groceries you need and they will pick it up and deliver it to you.

curtsinore
08-16-2007, 04:45 PM
thank you for the correction, when I read no maid service, I thought , great now I have to do laundry during our our 7 night, Nov 16-24 visit during my nap time. My girlfriend does not like wet towels ( especially when they are used as splash/grzz seat covers) at morning rush hour in the room. And after reading more and more posts about folks visting during Thanksgiving, It looks like we will be rushing to morning hours in the park.

PanFan
08-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Yes, it is nice that you get to go early to the parks when you stay at the hotels, but only on mornings when they are doing that! It's not every day. Check with the front desk when you check in. They'll let you know and give you instructions what to do to get in early. Usually it's only when you stay two nights or more, but the CM that checked us in was really really nice and gave us early admission the one day were were going to DL. :)

EE is on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays and allows entry into Fantasyland and Tomorrowland (including Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage) one hour prior to park opening. And you don't need to stay for 2 nights; only one is necessary to get EE (as long as you're staying the night before EE is offered, which you are).

I was in the opposite boat last summer (DL vet visiting WDW for the first time) and I found the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World to be my best friend. Their touring plans are amazing (though from what I've heard, RideMax can provide more individualized plans based on what you want to see and how often you want breaks and such).

Since it sounds like you have limited time, I'd skip the attractions that have identical counterparts in Florida. The ones I remember are It's Tough to be a Bug, Soarin' Over California, Star Tours, Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, Turtle Talk with Crush, Dumbo, and Tea Cups. A lot of others are similar, but I loved riding them and finding the differences (like Small World, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Peter Pan, Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Space Mountain, among others).

Have a great time, and say hi to me in Fantasyland!

jag82177
08-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks for your help!! Your tips have been really useful.

My dad and I are actually just staying in Anaheim for two days and then working our way up to San Francisco on the Pacific Coast Highway before I start college a couple of days after I leave California!