PDA

View Full Version : The Sad State of Guests

Pages : [1] 2

corrinhorn
07-10-2002, 01:40 PM
Yesterday when I was about ready to Sell Ice Cream to a Guest, Another guest, who was looking for information about Small World came up to me and asked, “Ain’t this the way to Small World, or don’t they got that no more?” in a not-so-educated sounding voice. What is the Guest image coming to when one says " ain’t this the way to Small World, or don’t they got that no more?" AH!!

jason
07-10-2002, 01:44 PM
your right ... they should say " aint it good that i come to this here park so you can git payed "!

MonorailMan
07-10-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by corrinhorn
Yesterday when I was about ready to Sell Ice Cream to a Guest, Another guest, who was looking for information about Small World came up to me and asked, “Ain’t this the way to Small World, or don’t they got that no more?” in a not-so-educated sounding voice. What is the Guest image coming to when one says " ain’t this the way to Small World, or don’t they got that no more?" AH!!

Ahh, wake up to the 21st century. :)

Or, go back to sleep, and see that a few people are like that, and most people may not use correct english, yet do not sound like they just came out of Critter Country. :)

PhilMP
07-10-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by jason
your right ... they should say " aint it good that i come to this here park so you can git payed "!

LOL...and you probably say "now Luanne...them's my parents too"

You people constantly criticize the grammar and speech of CMs. Isn't it just fair that CMs should be able to poke fun at Guests whose knowledge of the english language isn't up to standard?

Phil

Iceman
07-10-2002, 01:56 PM
Well this is kind of silly, don't you think. That guest was obivously not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and I think corrinhorn isn't doing anything wrong by coming here to share the humorous tale. What's probably wrong is generalizing this to say "What are guests coming to these days?" It's like a guest who posts a story about a cast member who is so un-cast memberly that it warrants notice then says, "What's wrong with cast members these days?" Nothing is wrong with cast members these days, there's something wrong with THAT cast member.

MickeyD
07-10-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Iceman
It's like a guest who posts a story about a cast member who is so un-cast memberly that it warrants notice then says, "What's wrong with cast members these days?" Nothing is wrong with cast members these days, there's something wrong with THAT cast member.

I think that's exactly corrinhorn's point. There was a thread a while ago called "The sad state of cast members."

DisneylandKid
07-10-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by MickeyD

I think that's exactly corrinhorn's point. There was a thread a while ago called "The sad state of cast members." AHH! THAT THREAD IS COMING BACK TO HAUNT ME! I did NOT mean for it to cause this much corruption---it was simply reporting an experience.

And, I do think that it is *funny* what the guest said.

Sorry, CMs--I love you all.

Ghoulish Delight
07-10-2002, 02:18 PM
I would point out that the difference between "guest image" and "CM image" is that Disney has the opportunity (and right) to SELECT the people that represent them as employees while they do not have that same opportunity to select who visits.

I'd also like to point out that the people who CAN ask a question in decent English can also most likely read a map, so they won't be coming in to ask such a question.

And, finally, just because you pay someone money does not mean that you get to be excused from acting like an idiot. I HATE seeing the phrase "I pay your salary" coming from guests who use it to justify rude, uneducated behavior. It's ridiculous. Money does not give anyone the right to treat ANYONE with disrespect.

jason
07-10-2002, 02:33 PM
the point was that the guest wasn't being disrespectfull . just a tourist who is probably from the south , who may very well be un-educated , saved up enough money working at some crappy job , to take his family to disneyland .

i just don't think it's right to poke fun at them .

and your right i do expect more from CM's , and it shows class that you bit your lip and answered the question , pehaps you should have done the same here !

DisneylandKid
07-10-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Just because you pay someone money does not mean that you get to be excused from acting like an idiot. I HATE seeing the phrase "I pay your salary" coming from guests who use it to justify rude, uneducated behavior. It's ridiculous. Money does not give anyone the right to treat ANYONE with disrespect.

Exactly. It is only justified in their mind. You should never treat a person with disrespect because of your position for the most part.

innerSpaceman
07-10-2002, 02:45 PM
i just don't think it's right to poke fun at them. . . and it shows class that you bit your lip and answered the question , pehaps you should have done the same here !
It perhaps was a little overboard to poke fun at a guest's poor english skills (strictly a matter of taste and opinion though). But if we put all making fun of guests off limits, we will be deprived of some of the most classic and funny Disneyland tales.

jason
07-10-2002, 02:52 PM
true ... but a funny story is just that , funny

lets start one for CM's to share FUNNY stories .

teri
07-10-2002, 08:24 PM
the point was that the guest wasn't being disrespectfull . just a tourist who is probably from the south , who may very well be un-educated , saved up enough money working at some crappy job , to take his family to disneyland ....

...or, it could have been Ross Perot, in disguise.

LPnerd
07-10-2002, 08:53 PM
at the risk of sounding pompus, I would like to say what I think is the saddest thing of all , is that in the richest, most forward thinking nation in the world, we still can't get the education right. Heck, we can't even seem to convince the folks that need it the most,that knowledge is the only power they need. Read to your kids friends. Show them the way.

marron-cream
07-10-2002, 09:26 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I was thinking that it sounded so familiar... now I see why. :D ROFL!!

Cadaverous Pallor
07-10-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by LPnerd
at the risk of sounding pompus, I would like to say what I think is the saddest thing of all , is that in the richest, most forward thinking nation in the world, we still can't get the education right. Heck, we can't even seem to convince the folks that need it the most,that knowledge is the only power they need. Read to your kids friends. Show them the way.
Hear hear, LPnerd! I am a librarian and it really gets to me that grammar and spelling are thrown out the window. Hell, never mind reading, anyone that's seen movies must know that a sentence like "don't got that no more" and the word "ain't" are just wrong. That's just my opinion.

I think it's fine to point out such terrible grammar and make it known to everyone that this is incorrect. I also happen to think the story was funny. So there. :p

the point was that the guest wasn't being disrespectfull . just a tourist who is probably from the south , who may very well be un-educated , saved up enough money working at some crappy job , to take his family to disneyland .
Ok, let me rephrase this - "you can't make fun of people because they might have a bad situation behind them." If you think this is the case, you can't make fun of anyone. And how boring would this world be if we didn't make fun of each other? ;)

BTW jason, I won't make fun of the fact that you never start a sentence with a capital letter. ;) :D

thamnarestan
07-10-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by corrinhorn

I agree. I think Cast Members should expect a certain level of proficiency in the English language from their guests.

Back in the early days of the park, guests spoke proper English and dressed up just for Disneyland! Now they show disrespect for the park and its creator-- Walt Disney-- by speaking poorly and dressing like hillbillies and prostitutes.

PhilMP
07-11-2002, 01:02 AM
What do you suggest, grammar tests given out at the ticket booths to screen out Guests whose abilities are not up to standard??? We'd have to expel every child, teenager, Southerner, Mexican, European tourist, Asian tourist, South American tourist, and hick from the Resort.

For crying out loud, the main language at the Resort now seems to be Spanish!! Can we really expect it to be like the 50s...when people wore suits in 90 degree heat and women wore high-heeled shoes to Disneyland?

I think Walt would have been happy just to see people's faces light up with wonder and excitement, whether or not they have good language skills.

Phil

Disney Nick
07-11-2002, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by PhilMP
What do you suggest, grammar tests given out at the ticket booths to screen out Guests whose abilities are not up to standard??? We'd have to expel every child, teenager, Southerner, Mexican, European tourist, Asian tourist, South American tourist, and hick from the Resort.

For crying out loud, the main language at the Resort now seems to be Spanish!! Can we really expect it to be like the 50s...when people wore suits in 90 degree heat and women wore high-heeled shoes to Disneyland?

I think Walt would have been happy just to see people's faces light up with wonder and excitement, whether or not they have good language skills.

Phil
Off topic, but I found it interesting. You listed mexican and not Latino... Like I said this is really off topic, but it seems that a lot of people group all latinos under the "mexican" category. I'm Mexican myself, but a lot of people I know who are Salvadorean or Puerto Rican get really ****ed off at that sort of thing. Also you totally didn't mention Middle Easterners....

BTW, please don't take this as any sort of insult on you, but I just found it kind of interesting.... damn sociology classes have me thinking about everything now ;)

07-11-2002, 06:15 AM
Let's leave the surface and dive deeper, shall we?

Which provoked you - the question itself or the non-standard way in which the question was expressed?

justagrrl
07-11-2002, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by LPnerd

It is sad isn't it. We can pour several hundred thousand dollars into landscaping center medians but can't seem to get a school that will even hold the number of students going to it. Don't even get me started on the sorry state of priorities when it comes to education and spending.

It YOUR fault! (Not YOU really - but You as in the majority public). YOU don't vote...and furthermore, when YOU do, it's not for money for education. The money our school district recently got through a city vote isn't even going to cover the costs of the new school that was supposed to be completed at the end of the 2000 school year (june 2001). Nope...instead you vote to line the streets with palm trees.

kranders
07-11-2002, 06:54 AM
It's called satire, folks! :eek:
Great thread, ROTFL :)

hefferdude
07-11-2002, 07:16 AM
I'm from the northeast. My wife is from the southeast.

When we come to DLR, you'll hear " ya'll quit ta picken'
with me now or else. " with " Where shall I pawk the caw? "

And a native CA CM will sound ' like ' funny to a native
FLA CM.

Hey, Buckminster! Give Billy Bob a break. Love the difference.

:D

teri
07-11-2002, 07:23 AM
I'm with you, hefferdude.

My southern friends and relatives think I talk real funny.

stinkerbell
07-11-2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by 3894
Let's leave the surface and dive deeper, shall we?

Which provoked you - the question itself or the non-standard way in which the question was expressed?

I have to answer this! The question bothered me. The question! What a hilarious question. The first thing that came to my mind is that it was a JOKE. I know my friends and I used to pull that kind of mindless garbage on employees of anywhere--Disneyland, theaters, mall stores, restaurants, etc. Prob. was some Billy Bob, though. Funny story and I love the thread title. Very irreverent.

Billy Bob can tawk any dang way he wownts ta an' it ain't gonna bother me none!