PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the rules [non-registered guests in room]

2of9
08-15-2007, 11:33 AM
I have reservations at POFQ for my DIL & I. We got the free DDP pkg. Now, she wants to sneak her son & his wife into our room, to save the cost of getting another room. I called to see how much it would be to add them to our reservation. They would have to get the same pkg. as we have, but they would have to pay for the DDP. I was told it would cost $880.68 to add them. 1st of all, this is against Disney rules. 2nd, I'm afraid that if they were caught, Disney would just add the $880.68 to my account. Which I cannot afford. I'm also afraid that a "black mark" would be put with my name & come up on the computer every time I made another reservation. I'm also afraid that we would be told that we had to leave, & maybe never be allowed to come back. My DIL says I'm being silly; that there is no way they could know or prove that her son & his wife snuck in. I've tried to argue that they would not have "keys to the world": she said she would give them her key, so they could get into the room. We would still have my key. The only time we would be in the same park, is at Epcot. They want to do different things than we do. Does anybody know what could/would happen to me? And how can I convince them that it is a real possibility of being caught?

arpinl
08-15-2007, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't know the consequences of being "caught" doing this, but I thought I'd mention that my friend and I made reservations at POFQ during last year's free dining plan promotion. Then, after the promotion had ended, my family wanted to come along. I was able to add them onto my reservation (paying the surcharge for having more than two adults in the room) *without* paying for DDP. That is, the only additonal costs were the additional adult surcharge and the cost of their park tickets (had to be the same as what my friend and I had gotten).

Anyway, it might be worth speaking to a different CM to see whether you'd really need to pay for their DDP; if that brings down the cost, maybe it would make doing things above board a more palatable option for everyone.

Mostly Anonymous
08-15-2007, 01:05 PM
One thing to consider - your DIL probably won't be able to give them her key. You get one card - it acts as your room key, your ticket into the parks, and your ticket for the dining plan. Without her room key she wouldn't be able to eat!

Greg in TN
08-15-2007, 01:48 PM
One thing to consider - your DIL probably won't be able to give them her key. You get one card - it acts as your room key, your ticket into the parks, and your ticket for the dining plan. Without her room key she wouldn't be able to eat!

Actually, all you need is one card for the DDP. You'd use it like a credit card & pay for the whole table's meal, or for everybody who's on the DDP, using the one card. She would certainly need her card to get into the parks, but as far as the DDP is concerned, all you need is one card.

But even so, I'm not sure I'd want to "break the rules" like you've indicated. Seems like any consequences would go against you as the one the room is registered to, not against the son & his wife.

mom22gls
08-15-2007, 03:48 PM
I have reservations at POFQ for my DIL & I. We got the free DDP pkg. Now, she wants to sneak her son & his wife into our room, to save the cost of getting another room. I called to see how much it would be to add them to our reservation. They would have to get the same pkg. as we have, but they would have to pay for the DDP. I was told it would cost $880.68 to add them.

I'm trying to figure out where the $800+ comes in. I assume it includes park passes, not just the dining plan. Adding 2 people to a room which is designed for 4 people would not add much to the cost. The Dining Plan should not be that much, so I assume that they would be under the same package, including passes. You can share the keys to the room, but you can't share the passes, which are tied to the room key. Once once person uses their park pass (which is included on the same card as the room key), nobody else can use it. They would have to pay for their park passes, anyway, as they would their meals, so just having them stay in the room (unless you are exceeding room occupancy) is not that big a deal. The answer is, they pay for their meals and passes. If they want to share your room, they have to cough up the difference in the package price, or pay for their meals and pases (which will, probably end up being about $800, depending on whether they get park hoppers, etc.). They would still be ahead, not paying for an extra room. Sharing the room keys does not get everyone into the parks.

Klutch
08-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Pardon me for being rude, but it sounds like someone is trying to sponge, which I find distasteful. You booked your vacation for you and your DIL to have a good time together and not to worry about getting one over on Disney.

Why do so many people insist on visiting WDW only if they can do it for free or next to nothing? I don't know if it's the case here, but it's often people who could well afford it who are most reluctant to pay for a Disney vacation.

I also say the extra guests should be able to pay for their own park passes, their own meals, and the difference for the room; and they should cough up or shut up. ;)

pirateship
08-15-2007, 05:25 PM
There is no sense me repeating what others have already said. I think you would worry about it the whole time you were there and it would ruin your trip. The reason for the $880.68 I would think is there is a rule that everyone in the same room has to have the same package. Since the free food plan is soldout that is probably the charge for that and whatever tickets you have. If you did get caught I am sure there would be consequences and it would be in your name.

disnut8
08-16-2007, 06:33 AM
The cost for having two additional people in a moderate room is $15/night/person. So any extra $30/night for the two. the rest is for the dining plan and the park passes. If your passes are on your room key, there's no way your daughter-in-law can hand off her room key to anyone else unless she doesn't want to go to any parks during her visit.

I wouldn't want to have to "sneak" anyone in especially if you are very concerned about the whole thing blowing up. I don't think it would be worth it to get down there and find out something doesn't work. If you can't afford the extra $800, have your daughter-in-law or her son and wife pay for it.

Disney won't know? Maybe you can fool the management but you sure can't fool the housekeeping staff. Since you are even asking about it and have several "oh no" scenarios in your head, it's not worth it at all.

dsnyredhead
08-16-2007, 07:23 AM
It sounds to me like you made the reservation and you paid your amount of the cost for your vacation. I would tell them to reserve their own room and have them pay their own way. As another person once said "call the hotel and ask them what their suggestion would be". I'd bet they'd tell you to do the same.

There is a reason why the rooms have a "#" of people set to each and why the hotel needs to know how many people are in the room. Fire Code. If there was a fire in the hotel (or any other disaster) the hotel needs to be able to account for everyone.

crrees
08-16-2007, 07:51 AM
plain and simple
1) no one knows how many are staying in your room
2) anybody walking around doesnt know how many are staying in your room
3) no one really cares, they just want their paycheck

thousands of people do this on a daily basis on property and Disney knows about it. All they do is ask for people to specify how many are staying in the room as to hope people will be honest.

You will not be caught, they wont charge 800 bucks to your room, and they certainly wont ask you to leave

thrashers09
08-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Whether or not Disney knows this happens-it is just WRONG!! I wouldn't do it for ANYONE that I knew, family or not. I would feel bad and that would ruin my highly anticipated and very expensive vacation. :crying:

crrees
08-16-2007, 09:29 AM
yea it isnt right to do, everyone here knows that, but when people are desperate or have the opportunity many will take the chance.

2of9
08-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks ya'll for your comments & advice. My problem is that I'm a whimp!! I'm just going to have to summon up the nerve to be the "bad guy" & tell them that I WON'T sneak them in. There are other alternatives. I just would not feel right doing this, knowing it was against the rules. Thanks, again.

mom22gls
08-16-2007, 10:45 AM
They would end up paying at least $400 each anyway, for their park passes and meals, so, if you want them to share your room (which they apparently can, and be within room occupancy), go ahead and add them to the package, and they pay you the difference. They are still ahead, because the room is basically free, and nobody would be breaking any rules. You are not being a wimp, and you are not breaking any rules. They would have to spend the money, anyway, if they want to go to the parks and eat. You just have to explain that the package difference is their cost.

crrees
08-16-2007, 11:03 AM
^^very true

Poolslide
08-16-2007, 12:15 PM
You are talking about your reservation. I think you should have a say in it. Sounds like you aren't comfortable with this and I'd say go with your gut. If you can get them added to your reservation at a minimum fee for extra adults in the room then fine, particularly if they are paying you the cost, but don't do anything that you feel might jeopardize your name or violate your ethics.

If these people are OLD enough to be a married couple why aren't they just paying their way? Like adults do.

2of9
08-17-2007, 06:43 PM
I have just gotten off the phone with WDW, & in order to add 2 more people to the ressie, it will be an additional $246.31. Which would bring the total for ALL 4 OF US, to $880.68. The CM that I talked to a week or so ago, led me to believe it would be an additional $880.46. I sure am glad I called & talked to someone else. Now we can all go, not have to sneak anyone in, & have a great time. Now, my problem is seeing if I can change TS meals from a table for 2, to a table for 4. ;)
Thanks, again, for all the advice & comments. They are appreiciated.

MaraMouse
08-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Yaay, glad it all worked out for you, I bet you're stress free now :)