PDA

View Full Version : Anaheim GardenWalk

robsmustang
08-15-2007, 10:41 AM
i have sort of a dumb question what is the anaheim garden walk? it looks to me like a ugly square block of a mall.

dawnid
08-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Is it a mall yet? I tend to go right into the park from the freeway so I don't know what progress has been made but this has to be the slowest commercial complex ever built.

Darkbeer
08-15-2007, 12:48 PM
It should be very nice with lots of foliage when completed (the reason it has Garden in its name).

Here is the official website of the shopping center, which offers a lot of drawings and floor plans.

http://www.anaheimgardenwalk.com/

The project is progressing nicely, with a scheduled opening of the restaurants facing Katella this November, and then opening the full mall in Spring of 2008.

Here is a look at the construction from Monday the 13th...

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/3305422

Bytebear
08-15-2007, 03:40 PM
It should be very nice with lots of foliage when completed (the reason it has Garden in its name).

Sort of like New Jersey is the Garden State? (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

emmah
08-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Darkbeer, I can see swimming pool/s (?) on the right hand side of a couple of those drawings - is that a hotel on that side? If so, is it a new hotel, or an existing one? I am trying to get a sense of where this new mall actually is. thanks!

Darkbeer
08-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Darkbeer, I can see swimming pool/s (?) on the right hand side of a couple of those drawings - is that a hotel on that side? If so, is it a new hotel, or an existing one? I am trying to get a sense of where this new mall actually is. thanks!

There are actually plans for 4 hotels on the property, but Phase 1, which opens in the Spring of 2008 will just be shops, restaurants, movie theaters, and a fitness center. The hotels will be added in later stages. But yes, when the hotels are added, there are plans for pools for the hotel guests.

As for where it is, here is a satellite map marked with the project...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1233068

robsmustang
08-15-2007, 10:32 PM
those renderings make it look a lot like downtown disney. any word on which hotels will be in there?

emmah
08-16-2007, 12:53 AM
As for where it is, here is a satellite map marked with the project...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1233068

hi again ... so i am guessing that the carpark on the left is disneyland or DCA? What is the pink square up in the top left corner? still trying to get my bearings... thanks!

Darkbeer
08-16-2007, 05:23 AM
The Pink Square in the upper left with the star in it is the Main Entrance Plaza, so Disneyland's turnstiles are to the north (up arrow) of the square and DCA turnstiles are to the south.

The parking lot with cars in it on the left side is the Timon Lot. The parking lot that is empty and is above the Anaheim Garden Walk area is the Pummba lot.

And the little area that I traced around is a Fire Station.

The red roofs to the right (east) of AGW is the Residence Inn, the two L shaped building to the left of that (white colored) is the Motel 6.

The large complex to the left of the AGW area with a pool is the Anaheim Plaza Hotel.

Hope that helps.

spectromen
08-16-2007, 07:45 AM
I know it probably won't end up identical, but right now I'm picturing Fashion Island of North Orange County based on the concept art.

emmah
08-20-2007, 12:31 AM
Hope that helps.

sure did. feel like an idiot but i have just worked out that you can click on those maps and move them around to get a better view. fantastic! now that i have looked at the whole map, i can see exactly where it is - really close! thanks so much for the help! :)

Darkbeer
08-20-2007, 11:04 AM
http://www.ocregister.com/news/time-share-mall-1813034-anaheim-lounge

This news article does state the 6 restaurants facing Katella Avenue will open November 15th, and that the main shopping mall area will open in May 2008.

The Timeshare units, scheduled to open in 2009 will be built on the west side, on top of the parking structure, leaving land on the east side for hotels. The plans show areas for three hotels, one on the corner of Clementine and Disney Way, and another on the corner of Clementine and Katella Avenue, with the third hotel in the middle, behind the existing Fire Station.

QuikQuote: Families could soon stay at a time share overlooking Disneyland, while conventioneers could sip cucumber and ginger martinis at an upscale nightclub nearby.
The time share and nightclub plans are the latest to settle in to the long-awaited Anaheim GardenWalk mall, now under construction on Katella Avenue in the Disney and Anaheim Convention Center area. The Planning Commission soon will consider finalizing both plans.
The mall's first restaurants are scheduled to open in November, followed by shops in May and hotels in the next few years.

ladodgerjon
08-20-2007, 11:47 AM

Hmmm... the renderings give the impression that this will shape-up to be...

...just another stucco-sided pedestrian mall.

Blech!

Because of the proximity to the DLR, this is a project that Rick Caruso ("The Grove") should have handled-- he's a guy that (aside from being a disciple of Disney art direction technique and the importance of guest satisfaction) gets that the 'devil is in the details.'

Truly, Garden Walk seems cheap, bland and slightly tacky. Nothing seems new, interesting, or brings anything unique to the "guest resort" experience.

Darkbeer
08-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Truly, Garden Walk seems cheap, bland and slightly tacky. Nothing seems new, interesting, or brings anything unique to the "guest resort" experience.

Why not wait until May of 2008 to make that decision, when you can see what the final project will look like.

And I wonder what "Disney" fans will say about the place if Disney does decide to purchase/lease one or more of the 3 hotel locations on the east side....

ladodgerjon
08-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Why not wait until May of 2008 to make that decision, when you can see what the final project will look like.

You are right. I will. But that said, the artists renderings are very clear in depicting big 'ol vacant slabs of drywall covered in stucco and painted in those oh-so-popular earth-toned color combinations of this current decade.

I'm holding-off on any further negative commentary. I promise!

At least until I face an hour long wait at their PF Changs.

I promise! That was the LAST gripe until construction wraps!!!

;-)

olegc
08-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Hmmm... the renderings give the impression that this will shape-up to be...

...just another stucco-sided pedestrian mall.

Blech!

Because of the proximity to the DLR, this is a project that Rick Caruso ("The Grove") should have handled-- he's a guy that (aside from being a disciple of Disney art direction technique and the importance of guest satisfaction) gets that the 'devil is in the details.'

At the end of the day - it will be how much the general public wants to "hang out" there and spend money - and the asthetics of the architecture and views, while important to some of us (inluding me) will get lost. That's basically DTD for me these days. It has some great features - but they are diminished by the crowds and carts/music CD hawkers every 50 ft. BUT -the general public keeps coming. Why? HOB, ESPN Zone, Etc.

AVP
08-22-2007, 08:44 AM
You are right. I will. But that said, the artists renderings are very clear in depicting big 'ol vacant slabs of drywall covered in stucco and painted in those oh-so-popular earth-toned color combinations of this current decade. Ummm... you might want to do a little more reading. Each of the "zones" has a specific garden theme - English garden, desert, etc - and the retailers are responsible for matching their store facades to that theme. There are lists of prohibited materiels for each zone. Check out the retailer PDF - it's quite facinating.

AVP

ladodgerjon
08-24-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm not a negative person (usually), but in the instance of malls, I'm not nearly as optimistic as some.

I read pitches and proposals all the time, and am used to the finished product generally falling short. I'll be REALLY pleasantly surprised if this comes anywhere close to the quality experience that Rick Caruso has achieved with The Grove... or is planning for Santa Anita (or in Glendale).

Methinks the building materials and landscaping will be token gestures (based on what I've seen in the renderings). Maybe "forget-me-nots" planted in "England" (with cracked Lamoges ceramic pieces in an artist's "found art mural" tucked away in some unseen corner because the execs at PF Chang's and Baby Gap refused to go along with a design proposal that didn't jive with their corporate image.

Great, AVP-- you made me break my promise of no more gripes. I hold you personally responsible! ;-)

AVP
08-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Great, AVP-- you made me break my promise of no more gripes. I hold you personally responsible! ;-)Did you read the tennant info PDF, or are you just griping based on assumptions that may not actually be true?

AVP