PDA

View Full Version : Cape May Clam Bake [Merged]

crrees
08-14-2007, 08:36 AM
So last night for my birthday I went to Cape May Clam Bake with a few friends for my birthday dinner. I have been eating here twice a month going on 9 years (with a few times obviously where this couldnt be done...), anyway over time there have been changes, switching from giganto mussels to mediums, getting rid of the awesome all chocolate "sea in a bottle" showcase (just a peice of artwork that was really cool), minor things that really werent to bad. But last night there were a few changes that really upset me.

1) Mussels changed from mediums to smalls
2) Carving board was gone and replaced with presliced meat sitting under a heat lamp. This was the dryest meat ive ever eaten and was way overcooked from sitting under the lamp. They try to cover this up by having it sit in Au jus but it was a terrible coverup.
3) The famous oreo bon bon (their signature dessert) shrunk an inch. I usually eat one of these for dessert and its towering delicious topping sits a few inches above the oreo cookiee. This time the topping sat a mere half an inch above its sweet treat.

Im wondering what cost saving tactics these actually served? Someone has to cut the beef whether they are backstage or at the cooking station. And topping for the oreo bon bon seriously cant be that much expensive.

Prices for sit down restaurants continuously creep up and thats just part of being a business. But when service decreases with a price increase, that just makes my blood boil.

ROOOARR!!! I made my complaint to my normal waitress who passed it on to the chef.

littlej
08-14-2007, 08:40 AM
This sounds like a disturbing trend. This is one of our favorites, I have an ADR for our trip this December. (We'd eat there as often as you, ccrees, but the commute is hellish.) How were the clams, if you like them? And do they still serve the tomato bisque and the most awesome seafood salad I've ever eaten? These things are what'll make or break the deal for me.

crrees
08-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Clams were the same little necks ( delicious as usual). The caesar salad was amazing (as usual) and the seafood salad was good (i had a small bit, ive never really been huge into it). Seafood bisque was still there as well as the clam chowder.

Dont expect much from the dessert table, there were a few other changes that I did not mention (cookiee towers are gone, cupcakes have been replaced by store bought crap that are ridicuously dry on the outside...and they reside where the carving board used to be..) so now there are two dessert areas. There was only strawberry flan, small oreo bon bons, and the cheesecake bon bons in one area, and cupcakes and fudge squares in the other area. Oh yea, they had the apple crisp thing as well next to the fudge.

There was no sausage with pasta (but thats okay I dont eat sausage). Only pasta with red sauce is sitting there.

This was the first time I was really disappointed with my experience. So it will not deter me from going back. Once I do go there, if things arent somewhat back to normal (i can live with the bon bons), it might deter me from returning. I am going January 1st for dinner, december 31st i dont have any reservations yet

littlej
08-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Thank you for the details, I'll share this with my DH. We may decide we'd like to try one of the new table service places at Animal Kingdom instead that night, but it still sounds like a draw for me. The only thing that scares me is that you mentioned the seafood bisque was there, but not the tomato bisque. I hope they have it when we're there; it sounds ridiculous, but last time I was coming dangerously close to filling up too soon on it. I recently e-mailed and asked for the recipe, and they graciously provided it! I can live with the dessert changes. By the time I have my fill of shellfish, I'm usually too full for dessert at all. Maybe just a smidgen of oreo mousse...

crrees
08-14-2007, 09:51 AM
I wouldnt worry about the tomato bisque, i didnt see it but this has been something that changes out every now and then. This bisque had crab meat in it but was def. tomato based

2of9
08-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Oh, dear!!! We have been wanting to eat here for a long time, & finally have ADR's for Sept. 4th. I hope we won't be disappointed. I'm going for the seafood, but my DIL is not a fan of seafood, & was glad when she saw they had a "carving board".

crrees
08-14-2007, 12:49 PM
The carving board I was told was a trial, the waitress didnt feel that it made sense since someone in the back had to cut the beef anyway. I guess back there its alot easier, they can use an electric knife, cut 30 pieces then go do something else. At the carving board they are kinda squatting there all night.

Im guessing if not enough people complain about it, it will stay.

crrees
08-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Oh ya, im traveling through orlando in a week or so i dont know if i should take a chance going there again so early or wait till next month, but if i do go ill make sure to pass on the news/update

Andrew
08-14-2007, 12:54 PM
Oh ya, im traveling through orlando in a week or so i dont know if i should take a chance going there again so early or wait till next month, but if i do go ill make sure to pass on the news/update
Send your review and comments to WDW Guest Communications and ask for a response from restaurant management--let them know their response will determine whether you visit their restaurant again or warn others away.

crrees
08-14-2007, 03:02 PM
nice Andrew, not a bad idea at all

spectromen
08-15-2007, 07:22 AM
I second what Andrew said. Complaining to the server who passes it onto the chef, probably gets lost somewhere along the way. First of all, with so many things being prepared offstage AND offsite, how valid is the title "Chef" of a place like this anymore? It's more like food prep cast members.

The pre-made dessert thing ticks me off the most. It was bad enough seeing the packaged chocolate cake at various counter service locations in the Magic Kingdom last year. But at table service? Everything needs to be made on-site. I do remember hearing that they were trying to eliminate the pastry chef positions at all but the fine dining locations. Sad!

bluebayou
08-15-2007, 11:44 AM
If you have any complaints about the desserts, you should ask to speak with Stefan Remer. He is the head Pastry chef there at the Yacht and Beach Club. If he is not there then ask to leave a note with a complaint. I used to work for him in that particular bakery and I am severely disappointed that he is letting it get that bad.

dawz1026
08-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Well...sorry to hear.We ate there several times in April (did notice the clams were a bit on the wee side) but the food was pretty darn good.Ended up eating there 3 times in a week.The clam chowder was soooooo yummy and we found the meat good.However the chicken was VERY greasy.Everything else was great.Would not turn my nose away just yet on it if you have plans:)

cheshirecatgirl
08-15-2007, 06:35 PM
How is it if you don't like seafood? My goal is to try all the Disney restaurants, but I haven't been to this one yet. I don't like any seafood, is it still worth trying? I am willing to try some seafood things, but I have never liked any that I have tried thus far.

dawz1026
08-21-2007, 03:23 AM
How is it if you don't like seafood? My goal is to try all the Disney restaurants, but I haven't been to this one yet. I don't like any seafood, is it still worth trying? I am willing to try some seafood things, but I have never liked any that I have tried thus far.

My husband can't eat seafood anymore and he enjoyed the meats and loved the salad bar as well....

tjrj
08-21-2007, 06:48 AM
This was our worst TS of our May trip. For a buffet that serves seafood-we all found it to be very light on the seafood. The only reason I'd go back is for the desserts-THOSE were yummy-and just the right portion size(I thought) to be able to try most off them wo being overly full.

Big disappointment...and it doesn't sound like it's gotten better...

hersheythecat
08-21-2007, 08:33 AM
Totally not a happy camper right now if the desserts have gotten that bad. That was one of our highlights was the wonderful dessert displays!!

crrees
08-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Hey everyone, some of you responded to my last post about Cape May and their clam bake buffet.

Unfortunately I have weird news. I went there with a few friends and found that the carving board which was previously missing was back this time around. The deserts stayed the same stature. The carved beef was great and just as good as i remember.

The next night we went back (ya we are regulars here), and no sign of the carving board. We decided not to stay and walked over to the flying fish instead (which of course was good), we made another complaint and made sure to let them know that we were there the night before and were unpleasantly surprised the carving board had been taken away AGAIN and that was causing us to leave.

I know it may sound alittle extreme to just leave because of one item that was changed but y'know, it wasent just one item. Over the years its been many items and the price still goes up. The quality goes down but the price goes up. Therefore it sucks that I have to pay 100 bucks for two people at the flying fish to have a quality meal. GRRRR

WDW heart
08-22-2007, 06:33 PM
I don't think it sounds extreme. It sounds like the best way to send a message to the management. Good for you!

GusMan
08-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Crrees,
I merged your two related threads together so that people can keep track of your updates in relation to your orig. thread.

And thanks for the update... The Clambake was one of my fave's as well. But the same time, the Mrs. and I commented last week on more than one occasion that quality has dropped at several of our favorite places. Not sure if it is an "off day" or for them not, but it does not seem like the Clambake is the only eatery impacted by (small yet negative) changes.

crrees
08-23-2007, 02:40 PM
thx for the merge - i didnt want to get flamed for bringing up a 2 week old thread

The only two places I havent seen quality decrease is the flying fish and california grill. I havent been to V&A but i would imagine they are still top notch

spectromen
08-24-2007, 07:57 AM
I hope you get some kind of response from the complaints. Could it be something as simple as lack of staffing for the carving position?